X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

" ready-made " Utility kilts available in the UK ?

I'm considering buying a cotton utility kilt- yes I could make one but just now not practicable. So far have found Tartanista ones available on Amazon/eBAY which get good reviews. Also one on eBay which has leather straps and kind of neater/plainer looking for about the same price. I wonder about the fabric and how resistant it is to creasing. Anyone on here have experience of buying /wearing these ? I'm female but prefer the men's fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cotton and cotton blend kilts I have from UT / Pakistan do not keep up well. Have you looked at Stumptown Kilts. I bought my God Daughter one and it looks great. Have a great day.
    IF YOU SAY YOU CAN OR CAN'T DO SOMETHING YOU ARE CORRECT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepalmer View Post
    The cotton and cotton blend kilts I have from UT / Pakistan do not keep up well. Have you looked at Stumptown Kilts. I bought my God Daughter one and it looks great. Have a great day.
    Thanks for replying Wanting to keep to a UK supplier as shipping plus duty from the States bumps the cost way up . I have found a UK based one, kilts looks great, cost reasonable- it's http://www.unionkilts.com/shop/.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the years I have bought a few Utility style kilts from Union Kilts of Wales and also from Tartanista. Always been satisfied with fair value for money.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    Over the years I have bought a few Utility style kilts from Union Kilts of Wales and also from Tartanista. Always been satisfied with fair value for money.
    Yes the Union kilts look great and very reasonably priced. And Tartanista too as they sell on Amazon . One thing I noticed about the Tartanista kilts on Amazon is a lot of mixed/poor reviews regards inconsistent sizing of both mens and ladies, but mostly about the Ladies kilts.
    Last edited by Charliezeta; 26th June 17 at 03:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5.11 tactical will deliver to the UK. My TDK took over 3 weeks to come but no customs charges or anything.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mm42 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
    5.11 tactical will deliver to the UK. My TDK took over 3 weeks to come but no customs charges or anything.
    Thanks. Just checked their website and it says the item is not eligible for shipping to the UK. Military 1st sells 5.11 but over £ 60. for a utility kilt ( and all out of stock ). Unionkilts are £29.99- £40. depending on style and fabric.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing at all wrong with the Union Kilts product. As long as you understand that thyr are the same Pakistani kilts that can be found on ebay.

Know what you are buying.

If you are OK with that, you can buy with the confidence that you will get the product advertised. Union Kilts were once an advertiser here.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 28th June 17 at 12:43 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    There is nothing at all wrong with the Union Kilts product. As long as you understand that thyr are the same Pakistani kilts that can be found on ebay.

Know what you are buying.

If you are OK with that, you can buy with the confidence that you will get the product advertised. Union Kilts were once an advertiser here.
    Thanks, I suspected that because their cotton " Indi" Utility kilt looks identical to the eBay ones with the leather straps. I will look at all the options before deciding. Still unsure of whether to get a ladies one or mens due to the fit. Having to send something back doesn't appeal tho that's the risk with mail order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foundling !

Had come to a stalemate regards buying/making a utility kilt but it's been on the back burner. Could not believe it yesterday.... local charity shop spotted a black utility kilt amongst the ladies skirts ! Ok it's a 28 waist but even as a template to give me ideas to poss make one , gotcha The fabric label says PC- i guess polycotton but VERY thick/stiff fabric with a shine. Certainly no drape. Can understand why it was given away. However.....ideas !