X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luggage/Travelling with Kilt Outfit

In a few months I'll be going on a three week trip that will end at a wedding in Edinburgh. I'll be carrying a kilt/jacket/waistcoat and assorted other items, plus my wife's (MotB) dress. I'm interested in people's experiences with luggage that has worked well for them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a standard suitcase. Kilt rolled. If bag less than 24" then kilt carefully folded. Jacket folded half-inside-out as with suit jackets. So, nothing special for luggage. Just make 'good sense' packing. I've not had any problems regular or kilt attire.

I've no idea of the link anymore ..Harry Rosen maybe? .. that gave tips on how to pack a suit for travel. I basically used those principles.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in 2006 my niece was married in Paris and asked that I bring my kilt along for the event at the ritz. If I recall correctly I used my kilt roll for the kilt and carried it on. I think that the jacket and the girls dresses (my two teenage daughters came as well) went in a garment bag just a thin one again as carry on. If you have a real solid garment bag that folds in half that should do the trick also. I would strongly recommend doing carry on for the important items for the wedding, don't want that stuff getting lost by the airline.

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

travelling

Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    I use a standard suitcase. Kilt rolled. If bag less than 24" then kilt carefully folded. Jacket folded half-inside-out as with suit jackets. So, nothing special for luggage. Just make 'good sense' packing. I've not had any problems regular or kilt attire.

I've no idea of the link anymore ..Harry Rosen maybe? .. that gave tips on how to pack a suit for travel. I basically used those principles.
    Usually when I travel I just have a carry on bag but this summer I took my Kilted attire to wear on Canada's 150th birthday celebrations so took a case as checked luggage. The case was big enough that my kilt was just laid in and folded, very much like it hangs. My Jacket was folded as suggested inside out with one shoulder tucked into the other. My Sporran, belts, buckles, and chain, flask, shoes, Two pairs of hose and my Sgian Dubh were going in the checked luggage so there was no problem going through security....... Checked luggage is usually a bother for me, hence my usual traveling with only a carry-on, but in this case of taking my Kilted attire, Checked luggage was the best option to me and as suggested Good Sense packing

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Kilt Kit from orderofthegael.org.
    It is a hanging bag that comes with a kilt hanger, and has a number of pockets to put your brogues, best, sporran, etc.
    They will even embroider it with your name, or clan for you. I carry at least one kilt, and my wife's kilted skirt when we travel.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith