X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Okay Jock, what about a Black Tie sporran? I think that would be a good place to start as White Tie events are few and far between for most.
    Yes white tie events are few and far between and AND, we need to remember many wearing the kilt will wear, quite properly a black tie with relevant accessories that can be correctly worn to a suitable(for the kilt) white tie event.I digress.

For the average black tie event where the PC is worn, plain hose, shiny oxfords and so on, then I have happily worn my black McRostie. Yes, if I could find a dress sporran that I thought suitable----not flash but a tad more than the McRostie------- and liked, then I would buy it and wear it in a flash, but in 30 something years I have not found one. Truth be told I don't really need one as my present sporran works perfectly well and without comment..
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th May 17 at 09:31 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    I am newly outfitting my first kilt. I am newly elected Chieftain of Clan Dunbar Society
    Congratulations!

(I will) need to have proper dress for games in the US and as a guest in Scotland at Manors... I plan on at least 2 sporrans one dress and the other casual. For a cantle I would prefer sterling or German silver vs plate or pewter or chrome.
    Sounds like our tastes are similar.

I love vintage sporrans, and new sporrans that have that vintage look.

I've owned quite a few vintage sporrans over the last 40-odd years of kiltwearing. There's just something about them.

As yes exactly so, the vintage dress sporrans have metalwork of German Silver (with or without silver plating) and less often Sterling Silver. I don't care at all for the modern nickel plating, chrome plating, or pewter.

I myself prefer to go old-school with my Evening Sporran, going to the goat hair sporrans worn throughout the 19th century well into the early 20th century and even today. (The small pocket-shaped Evening sealskin sporrans with silver top took over in the first quarter of the 20th century.)

Here are some young men at a modern Oban Ball, showing a mix of the standard post-1900 small Evening Dress sealskin sporrans and the older style

And Yours Truly attending a concert of The Black Watch wearing a c1900 goathair sporran

And as you say Artificer's work is fantastic. Here's my Day Dress with a 1953 MOD Culloden cantle with a new Artificer bag. (I have a couple of these cantles if you would like one, there are a number of sporran makers who could probably make a new bag for you.)

Vintage Evening Dress sporrans show up often on Ebay. Be careful! Sealskin is illegal to import into the USA.

For Day Dress, lovely vintage sporrans show up on Ebay all the time, often quite inexpensive.

First, a quick overview of the dichotomy between Day and Evening sporrans which was firmly entrenched by the time of this 1936 catalogue

Going back earlier, we see long hair sporrans still standard for Evening Dress

So, currently on Ebay here's a c1900 Evening Sporran that's amazing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Spor...IAAOSwfVpYus2P

And a lovely vintage Day sporran that appears to be in great condition; I've never seen quite this pattern before

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ANTI...UAAOSwsXFZE4tB

Here's one that's in a classic design that's been around since the 1930s and is still made today. But this vintage one has that wonderful 1930s pigskin look, though it's probably from the 1960s or 70s. Beats most anything made today, for my eye.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scottish-Bro...4AAOSwnHZYW9QW

If you must have a new sporran, Billy Lang in California makes new sporrans that, to my eye, have an old look to them:

Last edited by OC Richard; 14th May 17 at 07:22 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am newly outfitting my first kilt. I am newly elected Chieftain of Clan Dunbar Society and need to have proper dress for games in the US and as a guest in Scotland at Manors of relatives and those who now own estates possessed at one time by the Earls of Dunbar March and Moray. Our Clan tours Scotland every 5 years and have had incredible reception at such estates.

I plan on at least 2 sporrans one dress and the other casual. Being on X-Marks the Scot for a couple of months I would of course love to commission them from Artificer but unfortunately that is not an option. I don't really want a full face to substitute for a day and dress sporran but might collect one later. All the newly manufactured offerings in the $50 to $350 USD range are not really to my taste. I would rather have something old and with imperfections but more unique and am soliciting opinions. For a cantle I would prefer sterling or German silver vs plate or pewter or chrome. I'm not too concerned with the cost except I don't want to spend over a thousand pounds from one of the high end outfits I see periodically. I kind of like this one on eBay despite the obvious flaws. I like the goat hair better than horse hair but am open to all options. I don't want anything outlandish but do like unique that might be a conversation starter.

Where can I look for find the variety and quality that Artificer creates but I can put in my shopping cart and hit buy?

Thanks,
    David
    Take a look at Wyvern Leatherworks => http://www.wyvernleatherworks.com/
    Donnie made my day sporran, and I am very happy with it.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently got this sporran from a friend, it was picked up at an estate sale, dated 1911. I am not sure how often I will wear it, but at this point I don't mind taking risks. This might just become my go to evening sporran, only time will tell.

As for day sporrans I commissioned a MoD cantled sporran from Artificer a couple of years ago and it has become a favourite

I was also lucky enough to be given this sporran which also has an MoD cantle, this one once belonged to my girlfriends grandfather.

I honestly don't think there are many modern sporran makers out there that could reproduce these and if they could it would cost a pretty penny. I think if you want to go with something like these then vintage would be the best way to go.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 13th July 17 at 05:28 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    need to have proper dress for games in the US and as a guest in Scotland
    This line stood out to me as I have looked into international shipping of real fur. As I understand it the US, UK, and Canada have restrictions on different types or furs. Normally bovine fur, such as cow, goat, or sheep would normally be fine yet you may need to have information about the fur source, including animal and nation of origin, when going through customs. I would recommend you review the following links for the fur or hair sporran.

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/b...stricted-goods

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/importin...skins-and-fish

You are more likely to be able to get the documentation on the fur if you have a new sporran, even if it is custom made to look vintage. I do not know what documentation or information you would need for a vintage sporran without the fur source documented.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice point about customs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunbar ,

Here is a day wear hunting sporran that I had " made to order " last year from The House of Labhran , Highland Wear , Scotland that may interest you .

I selected their " antique leather " option , thus it is new but has a vintage look .

http://houseoflabhran.net/shop/

Cheers , Mike

hs 1.JPG

hs3.JPG

Not an exact replica but similar to this :

8c780dba2911.jpg
    Last edited by MacGumerait; 15th May 17 at 10:09 PM.
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an amazing thing.

So cool when people make things that look like they were made long ago.

I think it's difficult to achieve; whether or no, I rarely see it done well.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was inspired by your leather sporran and found this image of a black one. It is a tiny image and looks crappy when zoomed but it is very similar to yours. I'd like to find one like this. I'll see if the outfit that did yours can do something similar.

A complete different direction from the hair ones but I like it.

Dunbar
    Black leather sporran.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MacGumerait View Post
    Dunbar ,

Here is a day wear hunting sporran that I had " made to order " last year from The House of Labhran , Highland Wear , Scotland that may interest you .

I selected their " antique leather " option , thus it is new but has a vintage look .

http://houseoflabhran.net/shop/

Cheers , Mike

hs 1.JPG

hs3.JPG

Not an exact replica but similar to this :

8c780dba2911.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Right after posting I googled House of Labhran and found the sporran in question http://houseoflabhran.net/product/sc...s-day-sporran/

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dunbar For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast