X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Dunbar , looks like you found it in black leather !

Tim at the House of Labhran was first rate with his customer service when I ordered mine , he is also an XMarks member .

Cheers , Mike
    Last edited by MacGumerait; 24th May 17 at 08:54 PM.
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    L&M makes one similar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LKM View Post
    This line stood out to me as I have looked into international shipping of real fur. As I understand it the US, UK, and Canada have restrictions on different types or furs. Normally bovine fur, such as cow, goat, or sheep would normally be fine yet you may need to have information about the fur source, including animal and nation of origin, when going through customs. I would recommend you review the following links for the fur or hair sporran.

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/b...stricted-goods

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/importin...skins-and-fish

You are more likely to be able to get the documentation on the fur if you have a new sporran, even if it is custom made to look vintage. I do not know what documentation or information you would need for a vintage sporran without the fur source documented.
    I was going to comment along these lines as well. I know that some species are banned in the UK so be careful if you go with a fur covered for full mask sporan.

I would also stay away from the piper goat/horse hair sporans. They seem to be more costume than normal wear.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    I know that some species are banned in the UK so be careful if you go with a fur covered for full mask sporran.
    It's ironic that sealskin is banned in the USA but fine in the UK, while badger fur is the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    I would also stay away from the piper goat/horse hair sporans. They seem to be more costume than normal wear.
    We will have to differ there.

Earlier in this thread I posted a photo taken of a group of young men at a modern Oban Ball and half the men were wearing the long fur sporrans.

It's very true, as I pointed out, that when Highland Dress underwent its major transformation in the early years of the 20th century the modern small pocketlike sealskin sporrans became the standard Evening Dress sporran, and suddenly the long hair sporrans became oldfashioned or obsolescent.

But even today one does see long hair sporrans in Evening Dress, even worn by Scots in the Highlands.

I should also point out that long hair sporrans have never had any particular connexion to pipers. From around 1840 to around 1910 they were universally worn by civilians and military alike (save for a fairly small percentage of animal mask sporrans). In the military they were worn by the riflemen and the officers and the drummers and trumpet players and yes pipers too. And they were worn in all modes of civilian Highland dress from quite plain day dress to the most elaborate evening dress.

Then it all changed: in 1914 the British army withdrew Full Dress and around that time civilian dress jettisoned the long hair sporrans for small ones. I wonder if the two events are related.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 30th May 17 at 06:26 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    It's ironic that sealskin is banned in the USA but fine in the UK, while badger fur is the opposite.

We will have to differ there.

Earlier in this thread I posted a photo taken of a group of young men at a modern Oban Ball and half the men were wearing the long fur sporrans.

It's very true, as I pointed out, that when Highland Dress underwent its major transformation in the early years of the 20th century the modern small pocketlike sealskin sporrans became the standard Evening Dress sporran, and suddenly the long hair sporrans became oldfashioned or obsolescent.

But even today one does see long hair sporrans in Evening Dress, even worn by Scots in the Highlands.

I should also point out that long hair sporrans have never had any particular connexion to pipers. From around 1840 to around 1910 they were universally worn by civilians and military alike (save for a fairly small percentage of animal mask sporrans). In the military they were worn by the riflemen and the officers and the drummers and trumpet players and yes pipers too. And they were worn in all modes of civilian Highland dress from quite plain day dress to the most elaborate evening dress.

Then it all changed: in 1914 the British army withdrew Full Dress and around that time civilian dress jettisoned the long hair sporrans for small ones. I wonder if the two events are related.
    Richard,

I'm sure you've probably posted this before, but did etched "silver" cantles predate cast "silver" cantles for hair sporrans?

David

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

------

---

Indeed one does. However long hair sporrans are less common than they were. There are several reasons for this, I think, ranging from fashion, acceptability (modern thinking), practicality, up keep(many are past their sell by date as far as condition is concerned), heirlooms (only now see the light of day on very, very special events), replacement costs and cost considerations for new kilt wearing entrants.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seal skin

The reason sealskin is banned in the US is due to the seal hunt protests by Greenpeace of the cost of Newfoundland and the white coat harvest. The same ban has blocked the import of seal hides into the UK, the pelts used today are pelts taken in the cull of harbour seals in Hebrides.
    My preference stems towards the newer hard leather style, this is one I made a few years back, it is moulded leather with thistles and the Cameron crest burned in the flap with a laser

IMG_0074.JPG

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OldMonklander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very interesting thread which shows how personal taste and preference play a large part in the choice of sporran, like other aspects of Highland Dress. Availability and cost are also a factor. I have one sporran that I wear it for day, evening and Black Tie.

P1000196.jpg

Just very occasionally I wear the original mid 18th century version to special events.

P1000359a.jpg

I've never been to a White Tie event and can't think of when I might in today's world. My regiment's Dress Rules stated that White Tie was only to be worn when Royalty was present. Last year I attended a non-military evening event hosted by HRH The Prince Charles. He wore this and we dressed accordingly.

4d97091cd7e925ff0efe121af69528cf--david-james-gandy-prince-of-wales.jpg

12. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMonklander View Post
    the seal hunt protests by Greenpeace
    Interesting that seal is just fine in Scotland, and sealskin sporrans are near-ubiquitous.

That was one of the things that struck me during my first visit to Scotland in the 1980s, walking into a Highland Outfitter and seeing an entire wall of sealskin sporrans.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMonklander View Post
    My preference stems towards the newer hard leather style

IMG_0074.JPG
    There are so many new/nontraditional sporran designs being made here in North America. None of them interest me, any more than Utilikilts and their ilk do. I like vintage things, traditional things.

I don't have sporrans as cool as Peter does, but for Day Dress I have this 1953 MOD cantle with a new bag by Artificer and an old-style buckle on a belt I made

And for Evening Dress this Edwardian cantle on a newer goatskin-front body. It holds lots of stuff, those two bottles will go all the way in.

well almost

Anyhow it always amazes me how many lovely vintage sporrans are to be had on Ebay all the time for extremely low prices. The craftsmanship on most of the old ones isn't often seen today, not until you get up into the $300 and above price range.

Here, for $50, a lovely vintage leather Day sporran

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHER-SPOR...QAAOSwTApZbSZL

Here it is, made by Anderson & Son, Edinburgh and Glasgow

How about an Evening Sporran, made in Scotland, for $1 (plus $14 shipping)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Vi...AAAOSwFBRZbD5E

Here it is. Not an antique, but a traditionally made real leather and fur made in Scotland thing

Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd July 17 at 04:42 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123