X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New kilt questions

I searched through many posts but really haven't seen anything to answer my questions and concerns. Over the last few days, my brain has swelled to near explosion with all the new info it has absorbed. But, the question most in my mind is what to start with? I have never owned a kilt before so some of the very basic stuff, I know not. The kilt I ordered from Stillwater will be in my possession next weekend along with a sporran, belt, buckle, socks and a few pins. Things I need to know is what is the purpose of the kilt pin? Just to keep it closed? How high do you wear it? All the little questions that a real newbie needs to know.

If all this has been covered in a post somewhere, I haven't found it yet.

Mike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt pins are decorative only. They may indeed help to weigh down the outer apron, but NEVER to hold the two aprons together - it would only cause a rip. Where you put it is up to you, but usually a few inches in from the edge and bottom of the apron. I like to have mine at a place where the tartan set compliments it.

Others will add their tuppence and threepence!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, I am that much of a greenhorn. Thanks Father Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Kilt pins are decorative only. They may indeed help to weigh down the outer apron, but NEVER to hold the two aprons together - it would only cause a rip. Where you put it is up to you, but usually a few inches in from the edge and bottom of the apron. I like to have mine at a place where the tartan set compliments it.

Others will add their tuppence and threepence!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy this book => and ignore the cover (I don't know what the publishers were thinking when they had the model wear ghillie brogues, white hose, and a pirate shirt). If you follow Thompson's advice, you can wear the kilt without fear of raising any eyebrows. This is where I started. Good luck!
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you're not the only nor the first, myself included.

The go-to thread on the forum is 1 kilt 10 looks. Its not a dress directive, but more a guide to illustrating just how flexible the kilt can be in suiting your own style and tastes from super casual to high formal. http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

One thing that might take getting comfortable with is that the kilt does not have to be about dressing up - unless you only want to wear it on special or certain occasions, and that is absolutely fine if that's your choice. If you want to wear it more often, don't be too concerned about getting 'kilt stuff' to wear with it. Practically any shirt and pull-over sweater will work. Start with a few items (like that first sporran and a pair of hose or two). After a while on the forum and other sources you'll come about the looks and styles you're comfortable with. A warning, though. This kilt thing can get to be a bit addictive. I can't believe how many pairs of hose and flashes i've gathered over only a couple of years, and have taken to making sporrans.

There is this resource http://www.tartansauthority.com/high...t/some-advice/ . The left panel allows for navigating the "chapters"

Happy kilting. Looking forward to the pics
    Last edited by Taskr; 15th May 17 at 12:37 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much Allen

Quote Originally Posted by ASinclair View Post
    Buy this book => and ignore the cover (I don't know what the publishers were thinking when they had the model wear ghillie brogues, white hose, and a pirate shirt). If you follow Thompson's advice, you can wear the kilt without fear of raising any eyebrows. This is where I started. Good luck!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to scoutermike For This Useful Post:

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "So You are Going to Wear the Kilt" is a great reference. This is the first time I have seen the current cover (third edition). My copy is theone with the manila cover. This might date me but here goes:

A great little book.

Christoph

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by scoutermike View Post
    I searched through many posts but really haven't seen anything to answer my questions and concerns. Over the last few days, my brain has swelled to near explosion with all the new info it has absorbed. But, the question most in my mind is what to start with? I have never owned a kilt before so some of the very basic stuff, I know not. The kilt I ordered from Stillwater will be in my possession next weekend along with a sporran, belt, buckle, socks and a few pins. Things I need to know is what is the purpose of the kilt pin? Just to keep it closed? How high do you wear it? All the little questions that a real newbie needs to know.

If all this has been covered in a post somewhere, I haven't found it yet.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Kilt pins are decorative only. They may indeed help to weigh down the outer apron, but NEVER to hold the two aprons together - it would only cause a rip.
    I mostly agree with Father Bill in that I've done a little test, and the pin does weight the front apron down on a windy day. So while highly decorative, it does serve a good function for modesty. Just remember, like Father Bill said, to NEVER pin the two aprons together. Th pin didn't hold the front apron still, but at least the apron didn't flap open wildly in the wind like when it wasn't pinned.

Regarding your original question, there is a reason why you couldn't find an answer: everyone does it a little differently depending on circumstances and preferences. Some only wear traditionally tailored kilts, while some wear nothing but contemporary "utility" styled kilts. Some go primarily events only, like ceilidh or game or fair (like my father in law), while others mix and match their kilts into their lifestyles (or vice versa). Some can only afford a certain price point to start with, while some are more financially flexible, and start with a hand-tailored tank. But the take-away point here is that as long as you're enjoying yourself and the process, that's what matters. There are certainly traditionalists and "kilt-polices" out there, but that applies to just about anything... and while I enjoy hearing from folks who want to add to or enhance my interest (most people here), I mostly ignore those who are just out to police/criticize people (very few). You've got a kilt, a belt, buckle, sporran, and pins - I'd say that's a great place to start with!

I started with a kilt for my wedding, with a budget for everything formal (PC and vest, dress sporran, hose and tartan flashes, brogues, pin, fly plaid, wife), then stirred in kilting into my lifestyle. Things quickly/slowly grew after that, while making changes and tweaks. My preferences (and knowledge) also changed over time... so there's also no way of saying "oh that's what I should've started out with". I didn't know about XMarks until after my third kilt (first my wedding tank, followed by an Elkommando and a casual kilt from USA Kilts) and two years into kilts! THAT could've changed for me (wish I found this placs sooner), but obviously, you've already made it here!

We all got here somehow, and our journeys are all different. Celebrate your own journey for all its ups and downs (that's what's fun)! Enjoy yourself and keep soaking up what the good people here have to offer! It's really a good crowd here.
    Last edited by HuDonald; 15th May 17 at 08:54 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to HuDonald For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoff View Post
    "So You are Going to Wear the Kilt" is a great reference. This is the first time I have seen the current cover (third edition). My copy is theone with the manila cover. This might date me but here goes:

A great little book.

Christoph
    Thank you Allen and Christoph. Just ordered it from Amazon.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to scoutermike For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast