X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple sgian dubhs

So, I typically wear a dubh in each hose (both were made by a MacLeod, close friend of the family) and now I find myself at the crossroads of a dilemma... my exponentially better half surprised me with a beautifully-made antler-handled dubh from the McVierh forge at the Bethabara Games in Winston-Salem, NC, some weeks back, and while I want to wear the dubh she got for me (I really do), I also feel like I'm doing my friend a dis-service by not showcasing his work, as it's nearly impossible to choose between which of his dubhs to wear. They both have a great sentimental value to me.

I came across a portrait of Alasdair Ranaldson MacDonnell of Glengarry, and it not only shows 3 daggers in a sheath on his belt, but two distinctive dubhs held in his right hose, one in front of the other.

I suppose my question is, what are y'all's opinions on multiple dubhs displayed at once?

Thanks!
    -Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wouldn't wear more than one. I don't always wear a sgian dubh,it depends on the circumstances whether I do or don't. I'm sure the portrait of Glengarry is either a display for the portrait or from a time when the wearing of multiple weapons was perhaps one of need.
    Just my opinion
    Cheers David

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, a sgian is like a sporran - I just wear one at a time.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glengarry is wearing not 3 daggers on his belt, but a dirk with fork and knife, of a style shown here about halfway down the page:

http://www.germaniainternational.com/england2.html

Here is a very high res version of the painting:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rt_Project.jpg

It is odd that he had a pair of dubh's in his sock. As you can see they are a larger and smaller handles, obviously made as a set. Were they knives, or a knife and fork?

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisterMacAlister View Post
    So, I typically wear a dubh in each hose (both were made by a MacLeod, close friend of the family) and now I find myself at the crossroads of a dilemma... my exponentially better half surprised me with a beautifully-made antler-handled dubh from the McVierh forge at the Bethabara Games in Winston-Salem, NC, some weeks back, and while I want to wear the dubh she got for me (I really do), I also feel like I'm doing my friend a dis-service by not showcasing his work, as it's nearly impossible to choose between which of his dubhs to wear. They both have a great sentimental value to me.

I came across a portrait of Alasdair Ranaldson MacDonnell of Glengarry, and it not only shows 3 daggers in a sheath on his belt, but two distinctive dubhs held in his right hose, one in front of the other.

I suppose my question is, what are y'all's opinions on multiple dubhs displayed at once?

Thanks!
    -Mark
    Why do you need more than one knife at once?

I wear a sgian dubh if I'm fully decked out in highland attire, but typically leave mine at home. I don't find many uses for a pocket knife, etc.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 15th Glengarry was a renowned blowhard and the poser of all posers. After his death all his trappings had to be sold to pay the debts of his life-style. In his life-time he cleared his clansfolk and replaced them with sheep and Lowland shepherds. You may not want to use him as an example of what to do or wear. I know of no Highlander today who wears more than one sgian dubh at a time -- a bit like carrying more than one pocket knife.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 6th June 17 at 07:21 PM.

10. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several sgian dubhs, my current favourite is one that was made by my girlfriends grandfather. I find one is enough, today I wore one that was a gift from a friend on this forum, I have not worn it for some time as I normally reach for the other one. The thing is I didn't miss the other sgian today I simply enjoyed the sgian I had on. It was like getting acquainted with an old friend. Wearing more than one at a time seems a bit excessive at best and eccentric at worst.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is what you want to do, then carry on. BUT, many would consider the wearing of two SDs at the same time as unnecessary and frankly, rather ridiculous.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th June 17 at 02:00 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    many would consider the wearing of two SDs at the same time as unnecessary and frankly, rather ridiculous.
    Or the wearing of one...

in the Pipe Band world, anyhow, where it's looked on by many/most pipers and drummers as a useless affectation, and banned by many bands.

Not that it's been singled out, it's just that most bands ban any additional do-dads: lapel pins, tie pins, kilt pins, etc.

In the bands that don't ban them there might be one guy who wears a sgian, the guy perhaps viewed as a bit of a character.

The World Pipe Band Championships in Glasgow... how many sginean are seen?

So one could say, "many of those bands travelled to Scotland, that's why" so here's Shotts & Dykehead playing in Scotland. No sginean, no kilt pins, no lapel pins etc

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with wearing a sgian. I have a couple nice ones. I hardly ever wear them. Over the years I've pared down my kit to the essentials, and a sgian has no function.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th June 17 at 04:34 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCR.

A prime example why one needs to be careful when what civilian pipe bands and civilian pipers wear and do are not necessarily what non band civilian kilt wearers might wear and do. I think many new to kilt wearing need to be very aware that there are differences.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

17. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast