X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt pins on modern kilts?

Not sure if this is more appropriate here or on the accessories forum, but here's my thought.

I am in the process of making a kilt. (link to DIY thread- http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...mithing-92514/ )

I am making it to wear in my blacksmith shop to keep cool. I am thinking about making a Kilt pin of my shop logo.

I wanted to know peoples thoughts on kilt pins on modern "utility kilts" or "Cargo Kilts" or whatever the universal name for "non tartan kilt with pockets" is.

If anybody's got any pics wearing this type of kilt with a kilt pin I would love to see it.

Any thoughts on the idea would be appreciated. Do you like the idea? Am I gonna get self proclaimed "Kilt Kops" yelling at me(not that I really care)? Is there anything flatout disrespectful about this idea? I dont care if it "doesnt follow tradition" but if theres something about it that would truly be disrespectful I want to know.

Here's what the pin will be. Plan on making just the letters out of metal. No background, just lines.

Heres the full version, just so you understand what it is. Some people dont get it without the full logo.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're safe. Plus...... who is going to give a guy a hard time when he has a big hammer in one hand and a piece of red-hot iron in the other????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yelled at, no. Questioned, maybe. If your intention is to wear this in your shop, be prepared to have it catch on something. I shy away from pins on utility style kilts for just this reason; they can get in the way at just the wrong time.

If you must have some embellishment, consider having the kilt embroidered with your logo. It is easily done and relatively inexpensive.

Last edited by MNlad; 16th May 17 at 01:33 PM.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MNlad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your forged logo pin on your self-fashioned blacksmith kilt is a great concept. I echo the comment on it possibly getting caught on something in the shop - but what a great ad for your work when out and about. Your kilt, your pin - no disrespect there, methinks.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind, too, that a kilt pin only sticks through the outer apron, to hold the apron down in a breeze. It's not to hold the two aprons together.
    What if you branded the logo into the fabric somehow? With all those angles in your logo, I wonder how well it would stand up to being a pin on a moving fabric & getting banged into things in your shop.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I echo embroidery. However some of our chaps have patches (military units, etc) sewn onto their utility kilts. You could always put a weight between the patch and the kilt fabric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are all great points. Embroidering something on would probably be more functional. But I'm a blacksmith.....so..... STEEL!!

I plan on making out of steel, and like everything I do it will be heavy duty so it will have no problem holding up.

I am thinking to help avoid snags I'm going to make a tie tack type pin on all 4 corners. That way the main snag points will all be tight to the fabric. Probably won't completely stop snags, but will cut down on them.

Thanks for your thoughts! More are always welcome!

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to twandawg85 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go for it!

I think that it would be fine on a utility kilt, especially with four points of contact. You might want to just cut it out in some sheet metal first and wear it a day or two to see how you like the concept of just the letters. I think that putting it on a metal or leather backing of some kind might be more comfortable to wear. And the color contrast between the backing and the letters/logo might look good. Just my two cents, you should obviously do what makes you happy.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing some sort of test isn't a bad idea. I haven't figured out exactly how I'm gonna make it yet tho.... So the test might end up being the final product!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a related note, if you have any workable software (or friends in the graphics business) The full logo version could really use some careful kerning (adjustment of the spaces between the letters to yield a pleasing result that flows nicely). It's a bit disjointed as is. A leather patch with the logo tooled on it might be another possibility. I picked up a nice blacksmith-made 3" belt buckle a while back. One of these days I'll formulate a plan for the leather parts and get to work on the belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast