X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice buckle. What sticks out as unpleasing to you? I spent a lot of time adjusting how much space there was between the letters to make it look good. For some reason those words just did not want to look good when put together this way. But I had already designed the WL thing and I think that thing is AMAZING. But I just looked up kerning, and I was adjusting whole words, not individual spaced between letters. I've seen it so much that it just looks right. Let me know what you are seeing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a strong diagonal effect going on over at the left side with the big W, the A, the big L and then the EGACY. The R,P,E and D of "warped" are pretty upright, which is fine, but they seemed spaced out a bit much to my eye, further separating them from the "Wa". It made me want to narrow the gap between the A and R and then bring in the others a bit to reduce and even out the empty spaces between them. In graphic design class they always told us to try to space letters so that if you could fill the spaces between them with water, they would usually hold a similar amount from letter to letter. They also told us that it doesn't always work that way, but it is worth keeping in mind.
    On "Legacy" I shrank down the gap between the E and G a little bit, but the rest was fine.

No big deal and everybody has their own opinion of what looks right or not on things like this, but that's my 2 cents worth. I might still be tempted to move "ARPED" over to the right just a hair to give the left side of the A a bit more breathing room, but if you mess with this stuff long enough you'll drive yourself crazy. I wrote and illustrated a book once, and after three years of super tedious editing and graphics stuff I'm lucky I had any sanity or hair left at all.

Original at the top, modified version below.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude... you are epic. I was expecting something to the extent of "the A is too close to the w, and there is a lot of space in ARPED." In theory I agree with everything you said and did. If I was currently designing it I would probably do what you are saying. Now that I have been using it for a while and I recognize it, yours looks...... wrong. It looks good, and pleasing to the eye, but its not right. lol

I might go back and do a little tweaking with this new knowledge, but I will probably keep wider spacing in WARPED. Maybe not as wide as it is now, but wider than LEGACY. I like how it sets the two words apart. Even with the angle I feel like the words look to similar in your modification. When designing it I thought it was cool that the word WARPED was not 'warped'(it was straight) and LEGACY was 'warped' (slanted). They are kind of two things that don't really go together, but are somehow working together really well..... thats the idea anyway. The hardest part was making the L look like it fit with the rest of the word. It kept looking like WARPED EGACY, with some weird thing under the W.

Like I said though it was all designed around the WL and I think that thing is awesome. And I think its gonna make an awesome kilt pin. I just have to figure out exactly how I'm gonna make it. It should be a ton easier than making the kilt itself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I think you're safe. Plus...... who is going to give a guy a hard time when he has a big hammer in one hand and a piece of red-hot iron in the other????
    Also, he is a GIANT man!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12