X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Kilt fabrics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X-Kilt fabrics

I am wanting to make an X-kilt. I'm looking to make it out of fabric that's around $6.00 (usd's) per yard that's bottom weight. Anyone know good sources for such online?
    I was hoping to get some from Joann's via me mom, but she didn't find any good for kilts there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it all depends on what type of kilt you would like to make.

Many of the solid colored kilts are made from Polyester/Cotton blend fabrics similar to that found in Dockers trousers. That should give you a good starting point.

The term bottom weight simply means that ladies pants and men's trousers can be made from it, vs top weight which is for shirts and blouses.

Stores like Joannes, Fabricland, etc, are not very good sources for kilt fabrics because they usually only re-sell the excess from large mills in china and elsewhere. When new stock comes to a store the employees often have no idea what is on the truck. They often know only as much about a length of fabric as is printed on the label.

A good fabric weight for kilts will be somewhere around 6-10oz per linear yard @ 54-60 inches wide. Or just lighter than the wool used for kilts.

One fairly good source would be Carr Textiles located in MO. It has been awhile since I bought fabrics at retail but I think you can buy retail from them.

This is the URL to the solid colored fabrics that I use. http://www.carrtextile.com/Poly-Cotton-Twill.htm

I'm actually selling off my solid colored stocks as I have not had an order for solid kilts in quite a while. I suspect that the craze may be nearing its end.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 11th February 17 at 06:56 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really need to go inexpensive then the Target poly/cotton from Joann is okay. It's easy to sew with and a pretty decent choice if you've never made a kilt before. It's a plain weave and doesn't offer much in the way of color choices, but you can usually come in at around 4 bucks/yard with a coupon or sale price.

If you can spend a few bucks more per yard and want a really fantastic poly/cotton fabric, this is your jam right here: http://www.sellfabric.com/store/c/21...-7-7-5-oz.aspx

I've made more kilts than I can count with that stuff and it's wonderful. It's totally bomber, wears like iron, and doesn't swish half bad for what it is. I typically order 4 yards for a kilt, so $40-ish with shipping IIRC.
    Cheers!
    Bob

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ratspike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping to get something like that actually! I saw on that site they had some stuff on sale in my price range, but it was all in store only and the store is to far to goto regularly. Btw, this will be my first attempt at making an X-kilt (so easier fabrics to work with is great)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bob! That Target fabric you were saying from Joann's isn't sold online though, so I guess I'll be ordering from that site you linked. it's a little more than i want but omg, so many colors! Btw, have you ever tried dying any of that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratspike View Post
    If you really need to go inexpensive then the Target poly/cotton from Joann is okay. It's easy to sew with and a pretty decent choice if you've never made a kilt before. It's a plain weave and doesn't offer much in the way of color choices, but you can usually come in at around 4 bucks/yard with a coupon or sale price.

If you can spend a few bucks more per yard and want a really fantastic poly/cotton fabric, this is your jam right here: http://www.sellfabric.com/store/c/21...-7-7-5-oz.aspx

I've made more kilts than I can count with that stuff and it's wonderful. It's totally bomber, wears like iron, and doesn't swish half bad for what it is. I typically order 4 yards for a kilt, so $40-ish with shipping IIRC.
    Interesting. I looked the link Steve had and then the one for SellFabric. Looks like the same stuff. The "Kelly" green was the one that got my attention and I realized I was looking at what appeared to be the same fabric. The difference in the site being SellFabric included prices and appears to be for retail. The other site did not list prices. I assume it would if you had an account to log in. Registration on that site requires a company name. That does not mean that they would not sell to the public but I am sure their preference is wholesale to those ordering higher quantity.

Mike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Dayton View Post
    Interesting. I looked the link Steve had and then the one for SellFabric. Looks like the same stuff. The "Kelly" green was the one that got my attention and I realized I was looking at what appeared to be the same fabric. The difference in the site being SellFabric included prices and appears to be for retail. The other site did not list prices. I assume it would if you had an account to log in. Registration on that site requires a company name. That does not mean that they would not sell to the public but I am sure their preference is wholesale to those ordering higher quantity.

Mike
    Yup, it's the same stuff. Sellfabric.com is the retail arm of Carr Textile. AFAIK anyone can set up an account with Carr and place orders, but with roll down and cutting fees it's not even remotely worthwhile for a small order.
    Cheers!
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Sellfabric, I've noticed that those fabrics are preshrunk. Would i still have to wash and dry it at high temps to shrink it more or just start working with it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by draig3791 View Post
    Thanks Bob! That Target fabric you were saying from Joann's isn't sold online though, so I guess I'll be ordering from that site you linked. it's a little more than i want but omg, so many colors! Btw, have you ever tried dying any of that?
    In the past I've dyed BDU pants with less than great results. I'd think cotton would take dye better than a poly blend. Really though, with all those beautiful colors who needs to bust out the dye? Oh and if natural fiber is your thing their cottons are super nice too! The organic cotton twill is fabulous, and the 10oz canvas duck puts the canvas from Joann to shame.
    Cheers!
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly I'd dye it for camo and tye dye patterns since all i've seen mostly are those solids (and some plaids)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast