X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am only surmising Peter, but I suspect the owners backside might have spent rather a long time in the saddle and in consequence a rather urgent repair was needed by anyone who had a needle and thread handy and some cloth that vaguely matched and would do. I well remember some of my riding breeches having emergency repairs in similar areas, on occasion!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd May 17 at 11:37 PM. Reason: can't spell.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I am only surmising Peter, but I suspect the owners backside might have spent rather a long time in the saddle and in consequence a rather urgent repair was needed by anyone who had a needle and thread handy and some cloth that vaguely matched and would do. I well remember some of my riding britches having emergency repairs in similar areas, on occasion!
    Jock, it's possible but given the owner and the opportunities to wear this it is unlikey to have had much wear. The extract from Helen Bennett's article on the suit gives an insight. Unfortunately I cannot find a full version online.

Sir John Hynde Cotton seems to have managed to have escaped an penalty for being an openly Jacobite support.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helen Bennett's 1980 booklet, "Sir John Hynde Cotton's Highland Suit", mentioned that Sir John was a zealous English Jacobite who visited Scotland in 1744, where his Scottish friends procured the tartan suit for him. Sir John was a large man, at well over six feet tall and weighing about 300 lbs (which would make him almost a giant by 18th c. standards). Ms. Bennett's book provides a pattern for the pieces of Sir John's suit, and after examining the pattern, it appeared to me that the "trews/truibhs" were a combination of standard European breeches (about the hip section) joined to long footed tartan hose (that joined the hip section just below the crotch). With Sir John being such a tall and heavy individual, I surmise that the tailor who made his suit had to piece things together to enable him to get a proper fit. That the pinked edges were left exposed suggests that the suit was made in some haste, as I have seen no other piece of 18th c. men's clothing where that was done. Usually pinked edges of cloth were concealed within seams or tucked under, as they are today.

A few interesting facts concerning Sir John:

He was considered one of the most zealous Jacobites in England. He was 3rd Baronet of Landwade (Cambridgeshire). His unusual size has been mentioned. Although he visited Scotland in 1744, there is no record of him participating as a Jacobite during the '45 Rising. He was asthmatic. He was a Member of Parliament between 1708-1752, and served as Treasurer of the Chamber in the Royal Household from 1744-1746. He was afflicted with a stammer, which resulted in his speeches being short. He was also said to be ill-humored. He was described as being "artful," by which is meant he knew how to manipulate the political system in order to gain an advantage or to keep himself out of tight spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Jock, it's possible but given the owner and the opportunities to wear this it is unlikey to have had much wear. The extract from Helen Bennett's article on the suit gives an insight. Unfortunately I cannot find a full version online.

Sir John Hynde Cotton seems to have managed to have escaped an penalty for being an openly Jacobite support.
    Peter,

I have a copy of Ms. Bennett's booklet in my library, if you'd like a copy. In addition to giving the pattern for the suit, it also provides thread counts for the tartans used (including, I think, the plaid).

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orvis View Post
    Peter,

I have a copy of Ms. Bennett's booklet in my library, if you'd like a copy. In addition to giving the pattern for the suit, it also provides thread counts for the tartans used (including, I think, the plaid).
    Gerry,

Oooh yes please. I have the threadcount but the other detail would be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Gerry,

Oooh yes please. I have the threadcount but the other detail would be great.
    I'll send it as soon as I can get it to the post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12