X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my knowledge, there are no restrictions on carrying knives in your checked luggage. I once brought a 3-foot cheese knife back from Europe and did not have any issues with Customs.

Things can go missing from checked luggage, however, and for that reason, I would leave my sgian at home.

Besides, it might be a good excuse to do some shopping while abroad...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Jones View Post
    We are a little behind the times in my part of Canada.
    Well in the rest of Canada then, usually only military pipers wear a dirk.

I'm heading across this summer myself to Scotland and will be kilted part of the time but I'm leaning on leaving my SD at home with the present conditions in the UK...not sure how the Police would take it with todays climate. I'm thinking of playing it safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with the suggestion to leave your sharpy/pointy things at home for this trip. Borrow your brothers if they are still at home, or rent them from a hire shop, or buy yourself some new ones while there and then bring them home in your checked luggage.

No reason to tempt fate unless you REALLY want to have your own stuff to wear for the ceremony. I wouldn't wear it out and about though, just for the ceremony.

Larry Schwartz
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to carry a SD in your hose top whilst wearing the kilt in Scotland then carry on. You will not be breaking the law. Wave the thing about and you could be asking for trouble. If you use common sense on where, when and what to do with it, then officialdom will have absolutely no quarrel with you whatsoever.

I had no trouble today wearing a SD with my kilt and if I decide to wear the kilt tomorrow then I shall expect not a jot of trouble with my SD tomorrow, or any other kilt wearing day in Scotland.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th May 17 at 12:49 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wear an SD, but SWMBO saw me eying a few in a case not long ago so I figure it won't be long now since a significant date is coming up (I can hope, right?). A concern I have with any items of kit, kilted or otherwise, while travelling internationally is to ensure none of the itmes come under question with regard to material made from. Stags horn, ivory, exotic wood and such can make for a very fine SD and/or dirk and might well be a problem going into the visited country or coming back to your own. Its prudent to check the visited country Border/Customs pages to identify any materials that might cause grief and plan for and/or plan alternates accordingly. The question of being able to wear it to the event is mute if it doesn't even make it out of the arrival airport.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second Jock's comment. SD are legal anywhere in the UK, provided it is worn with appropriate clothing (a kilt), the blade is no more than 3˝" long and it is not waved around or handled in an offensive manner. That said I would not wear one to any sort of public gathering where there are people who may have over indulged in alcohol, a concert or pub in the evening. In other words, just use common sense. You will not be allowed through airport security with it in you cabin baggage either.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they being married in a church or a hall? Churches are sanctuaries and there is a general understanding that weapons will not be taken inside the sanctuary. I was just at the 48th Highlanders of Canada Church Parade a month ago, and the officers removed their swords before entering the sanctuary; and because of that fact the troops do not march with rifles to or from the church. Likewise it might be good to check if the venue is a hall to see what their management says. By law in most jurisdictions a dirk is a prohibited weapon because of the length of the blade and therefore I would never wear one in civilian attire. (that said, I wouldn't wear one in civilian dress anyway).

The safest idea would be to forego the dirk all together. the sgian is your choice, but if in doubt, then perhaps a safety sgian for $20 is the answer.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weapons and weddings

Besides being as the wedding is in the UK and most weddings are a joyful event I see no reason to carry any kind of weapon......in America where they seem to obsessed with the rights to bear arms ....they have Shotgun weddings......I don't think I have ever heard of a Sgian Dubh or a Dirk wedding...... I really doubt if your weaponry will affect the sincerity of the vows...........as far as my own experience goes it is the kilt and tartan that attracts the attention, not the weapons.......but it is really the BRIDE'S and GROOM's day and nothing should detract from that.....just my opinion

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh, sigh and thrice sigh again.

A cricket bat is not a weapon, a baseball bat is not a weapon, a brick is not a weapon, a chisel is not a weapon and the SD is not a weapon. However if any of them are used offensively or even defensively then they can become weapons.

A hand grenade is a weapon, a sword is a weapon, an atom bomb is a weapon. Do I need to go on?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th May 17 at 08:29 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You asked for advice, Farmer Jones. Listen carefully to what you are receiving from those who live in the UK: a dirk is a weapon. Bring your sgian dubh in your checked luggage, wear it with comfort in your hose and not in your hand in all the right places, enjoy the wedding and your time in the UK. Leave your dirk at home because it is just not worn here -- because the law states quite clearly that it is a weapon. Think of the embarrassment when you have it publicly confiscated -- a very, very likely occurrence. Not worth it. Leave any other bits of 'costume' at home, too. No 'regalia', just proper Highland dress and you will be a great hit with the bride and groom.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 25th May 17 at 06:34 PM.

16. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast