X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Bagpipe Championships and Perth Highland Games

Hello The Rabble,

Looking forward to visiting Perth games, a day of piping live and then the last day of the worlds all of this kilted of course and with my Wife and 4 year old Little Girl. How will a 4 year old find it? Is it worth is getting the VIP tickets for the worlds just for shelter and cover?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2004 my wife bought advance tickets and it was a mistake.

There was confusion at the gate as to how to handle advance tickets. Nobody seemed to know, and they sent us all away around to the opposite side of the Green to another gate. There we waited for a long time until finally somebody showed up who knew what to do.

All the while hundreds of people were coming up and buying their tickets at the gate and walking right in.

About tickets for the stands (bleachers) to view the Grade One Pipe Band Championships, I think that was worth it, due to having a better view. One side of the competition area doesn't have stands, there's just a fence, and anyone can view for free. Of course only the people in the front row, at the fence, can see everything.

In 2007 our band competed there, and not having stands tickets we all just stood in the crowd along the fence. The bad part: you can't see much. The good part: it's much easier to go to the toilet or go for another beer

About VIP tickets I know nothing. It could rain hard all day! So shelter would be very good to have.

(NB they're called The World Pipe Band Championships.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th May 17 at 02:22 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I've gone to the worlds I just played, then watched, never paid for a certain type of viewing or seating. The four year old question is easier to answer, unless she is a big fan of pipe bands, it will be a really really long day...with all the crowds and busyness going on, kids get worn out and the novelty of it all wears off quick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Genetlemen,

The VIP are quoted as £200 plus so not sure if it will be worth it or not. Still looking forward to it whatever we end up getting.

QUOTE=OC Richard;1341457]In 2004 my wife bought advance tickets and it was a mistake.

There was confusion at the gate as to how to handle advance tickets. Nobody seemed to know, and they sent us all away around to the opposite side of the Green to another gate. There we waited for a long time until finally somebody showed up who knew what to do.

All the while hundreds of people were coming up and buying their tickets at the gate and walking right in.

About tickets for the stands (bleachers) to view the Grade One Pipe Band Championships, I think that was worth it, due to having a better view. One side of the competition area doesn't have stands, there's just a fence, and anyone can view for free. Of course only the people in the front row, at the fence, can see everything.

In 2007 our band competed there, and not having stands tickets we all just stood in the crowd along the fence. The bad part: you can't see much. The good part: it's much easier to go to the toilet or go for another beer

About VIP tickets I know nothing. It could rain hard all day! So shelter would be very good to have.

(NB they're called The World Pipe Band Championships.)[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for abrieviating the name to worlds I just couldn't be bothered typing after a day of work! UOTE=OC Richard;1341457]In 2004 my wife bought advance tickets and it was a mistake.

(NB they're called The World Pipe Band Championships.)[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, about the 4 year old. And the wife.

In 2004 we stayed at The Inn On The Green (sadly gone now) and we could just walk across the street and be on Glasgow Green.

My wife can only tolerate pipe band music for around 15 minutes after which she wandered around the green, watched Highland Dancing, visited The People's Palace And Winter Gardens, and eventually went back to the Inn for a nap.

I don't know how long a 4 year old would last, especially if it's raining.

They do have a "Kids' Zone"

http://www.theworlds.co.uk/ontheday/...uth-Zones.aspx
    Last edited by OC Richard; 31st May 17 at 07:32 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in Scotland, some years I do attend the World Pipe Band Championships in Glasgow and I hope to be there this year. I have always attended as an ordinary member of the public and never bought VIP tickets. Do wear your kilt though, there are always plenty of non-competitors like myself who will wear a kilt for the occasion.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our pipe band is going, by the way. See you there!

The Kevin R Blandford Memorial Pipe Band (Grade Three). Here's what we look like, come up and say "hi" if you would.

(Our tartan is Roxburgh District. I don't know if any other band wears it.)

Last edited by OC Richard; 1st June 17 at 04:38 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazbot View Post
    Sorry for abrieviating the name to worlds
    Yes that's what it's usually called in pipe band circles, "the Worlds".

What I was referring to was you calling it the "World Bagpipe Championships."

We have to be careful about not including our drummers. They're sensitive about stuff like that

Yes we usually call them "pipe bands" which at least potentially includes the drummers.

More inclusive, but longer to say, is "pipes & drums" (the official title of many bands).

Better yet, from the drummers' perspective, is "drums & pipes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnCUfzRba1o
    Last edited by OC Richard; 4th June 17 at 03:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course Sir. Roger that. After all where would we be without our fabulous drummers.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes that's what it's usually called in pipe band circles, "the Worlds".

What I was referring to was you calling it the "World Bagpipe Championships."

We have to be careful about not including our drummers. They're sensitive about stuff like that

Yes we usually call them "pipe bands" which at least potentially includes the drummers.

More inclusive, but longer to say, is "pipes & drums" (the official title of many bands).

Better yet, from the drummers' perspective, is "drums & pipes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnCUfzRba1o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast