X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    I've seen one FB attempt at an event about a year ago. It looked very odd, bordering on girl's skirt-ish, compounded by the choices of t-shirt, socks and ad-hoc accessories with the appearance as if the fellow had purchased the cloth but hadn't yet had the time to sew a kilt together. He didn't look very confident, maybe because it looked like that at any time the whole thing might let go and fall to the floor.
    I made the mistake of purchasing one off of ebay and am now stuck with it, it would seem. It is literally 6 yards of single width tartan, with a row of pleats sewn at one end, that you wear, somehow. Having "grown up" in reenacting wearing a double width 3 yard great kilt, I cant make heads or tails of it. Im just not able to free my mind away from actual historic garments enough to make this thing work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At one end? Sounds as odd as it must look. Certainly doesn't sound as if you could manage any type of under apron arrangement. I surmise is not feasible to take the pleats apart and start from scratch?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer philacheesesteaks.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to kiltedsawyer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This philabeg idea, seems to me, to be about as practical as wearing a great kilt. Cool if you're doing some sort of historical themed thing, but otherwise I say kilts became a tailored garment for a reason. If you wanna keep it economical, stick to Stillwater and sportkilts and that sort. Just my two cents.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    At one end? Sounds as odd as it must look. Certainly doesn't sound as if you could manage any type of under apron arrangement. I surmise is not feasible to take the pleats apart and start from scratch?
    Its not worth the trouble for me, I thought I was getting a cheap Filabeg in Ancient Black Watch, what I got was what they call an ancient kilt, in ancient Black Watch.

I have a modern kilt, a box pleated one, and a couple pieces that I use for great kilts, this is just a painful reminder to do better product research

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12