X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KMCMICHAEL View Post
    Yes and both the officer and judge were complicent. The ticket was for driving barefooted.
    Well, I guess ya gotta put your foot down sometimes.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamamedic View Post
    Interesting responses...

So a municipal judge docked the pay of the elected chief of municipal law enforcement? Just making sure my understanding is correct.

If that's the case, can I interest any of you in a unicorn? I breed 'em.
    I'm with you...
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamamedic View Post
    Interesting responses...

So a municipal judge docked the pay of the elected chief of municipal law enforcement? Just making sure my understanding is correct.

If that's the case, can I interest any of you in a unicorn? I breed 'em.
    You are aware not all places elect their police chiefs/marshals, correct? You are aware the Court can fine individuals for violations of the law, even if the local law enforcement doesn't charge them (i.e. the Court itself can charge people with a crime, for example Contempt of Court), correct? You are aware that different areas have different laws, correct? You did read the account saying the TOWN MARSHAL arrested him and then took him to the SHERIFF's office (usually a county position in most states), correct? Finally, you are aware most judges who deal with criminal offenses are STATE judges, not municipal, correct?

Just making sure you're not assuming someone is lying to you with no cause.
    Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the difference between a police chief and a marshal. One's elected. I'm also aware that a municipal judge is the court of fact for a whole lot of petty criminal offenses, and that State judges don't travel to backwater podunk towns to hear criminal cases. I also know that its highly unlikely even a state judge would be able to dock the officer's pay as alleged, rather than fining him.

And most importantly, I know how reliable any man's memory of an event over 30 years ago can be.

In fine, I never accused anyone of lying. I intimated that a lot of people can be gullible. In honor of OP's location, all I say is "SHOW ME!"

Quote Originally Posted by Deirachel View Post
    You are aware not all places elect their police chiefs/marshals, correct? You are aware the Court can fine individuals for violations of the law, even if the local law enforcement doesn't charge them (i.e. the Court itself can charge people with a crime, for example Contempt of Court), correct? You are aware that different areas have different laws, correct? You did read the account saying the TOWN MARSHAL arrested him and then took him to the SHERIFF's office (usually a county position in most states), correct? Finally, you are aware most judges who deal with criminal offenses are STATE judges, not municipal, correct?

Just making sure you're not assuming someone is lying to you with no cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fully aware that many here think that I am lying about my encounter with the town Marshall and my kilt wearing, That is fine with me, I was there and I know what happened to me, I only told the story because I thought it was humorous. You are correct about judges and how they operate, for instance the town that I now live in has 20,000 people and we don't have a judge of any kind, the town holds court every Tuesday, because that is when the lawyer comes to town and presides over all the offenses that has happened this previous week. Any serious crime or offense is transferred to our county seat. When I was a teenager, we had a town Marshall and his salary was $1 a year. Yes 1 dollar, he drove his own car and the city paid his expenses, his hours were 5pm to 10pm each day, he didn't carry a gun and for the most part I don't think he ever arrested anyone, the job was mostly honorary, but this was a quiet small community. The term Marshall was stretched a lot in its meaning. Small towns usually didn't have the funds to hire people for the job and most were volunteers for what ever reason. Some were even drunks and every one knew it, but they took the job and the matter was closed. You can sit and split hairs all day about the duties of judges and law officers, but many small communities and town here 30, 40, 50 years ago didn't run with the status quo. Most of us never gave it a though, that was the way it was and we accepted it. One gentleman made the comment, that he couldn't believe that anyone had never heard of a kilt. In many rural areas and communities, a lot of people lived their entire lives there and were never more that 25 miles from home, and they could care less what went on it other parts of the country, let alone over seas or another country. I live in Southwestern Missouri and it is very modern here and this area is highly recognized for its achievements and development. But on the flip side of the situation, there is a small town about 60 miles from here on the Arkansas line, that has a population of about 40 people, only about 2 or 3 businesses , the town has electricity on the North side of the street, but the south side has none. One gentleman on here from West Virginia, I am sure he could also tell of many backward places in his state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes crimes can be a crime without being a crime...and that's a crime. Just being flippant.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no reason to doubt you were arrested for wearing a kilt exactly as you say. Or that LEOs can be unmitigated dicks sometimes. Some of your details stretched credulity, there were only 15 posts by your ID, and nobody batted an eye. I'm probably cynical from years on the chans, but I was surprised nobody else even suspected 'bait'.

Quote Originally Posted by lewtherin View Post
    I am fully aware that many here think that I am lying about my encounter with the town Marshall and my kilt wearing, That is fine with me, I was there and I know what happened to me, I only told the story because I thought it was humorous. You are correct about judges and how they operate, for instance the town that I now live in has 20,000 people and we don't have a judge of any kind, the town holds court every Tuesday, because that is when the lawyer comes to town and presides over all the offenses that has happened this previous week. Any serious crime or offense is transferred to our county seat. When I was a teenager, we had a town Marshall and his salary was $1 a year. Yes 1 dollar, he drove his own car and the city paid his expenses, his hours were 5pm to 10pm each day, he didn't carry a gun and for the most part I don't think he ever arrested anyone, the job was mostly honorary, but this was a quiet small community. The term Marshall was stretched a lot in its meaning. Small towns usually didn't have the funds to hire people for the job and most were volunteers for what ever reason. Some were even drunks and every one knew it, but they took the job and the matter was closed. You can sit and split hairs all day about the duties of judges and law officers, but many small communities and town here 30, 40, 50 years ago didn't run with the status quo. Most of us never gave it a though, that was the way it was and we accepted it. One gentleman made the comment, that he couldn't believe that anyone had never heard of a kilt. In many rural areas and communities, a lot of people lived their entire lives there and were never more that 25 miles from home, and they could care less what went on it other parts of the country, let alone over seas or another country. I live in Southwestern Missouri and it is very modern here and this area is highly recognized for its achievements and development. But on the flip side of the situation, there is a small town about 60 miles from here on the Arkansas line, that has a population of about 40 people, only about 2 or 3 businesses , the town has electricity on the North side of the street, but the south side has none. One gentleman on here from West Virginia, I am sure he could also tell of many backward places in his state.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bamamedic For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Quite aware of that circumstance, but perhaps I would be accurate to say that neither the incident nor the history increase my respect for that part of the world. The Marshall certainly did not well or properly represent the people he was supposed to serve.
    What "history" and what "part of the world" are you referring? Rural areas? Missouri? He never mentioned the state nor location.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
    What "history" and what "part of the world" are you referring? Rural areas? Missouri? He never mentioned the state nor location.
    The history is the story he told. The part of the world is suggested though not revealed, by a couple of culturally linguistic contextual clues. You're the only one who has been more specific. Do you think it was Missouri? That wouldn't have necessarily been my guess, nor would I care to be as specific as you have. I refer only to the parts of the world where that might happen.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    The history is the story he told. The part of the world is suggested though not revealed, by a couple of culturally linguistic contextual clues. You're the only one who has been more specific. Do you think it was Missouri? That wouldn't have necessarily been my guess, nor would I care to be as specific as you have. I refer only to the parts of the world where that might happen.
    I wasn't being specific, I was asking what were your specifics. Certainly, the "part of the world" you were referring wasn't merely an ethereal location.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast