X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It depends on the mood and setting I'm in. If I'm at the shop on what will be a busy day, I'll make an extra effort to dress a bit nicer in a dress shirt, tweed vest, hose, etc. If I am just in my office answering emails and doing a photo shoot in the dark, I may wear a tshirt and sneakers with my kilt. But since Murphy and his Law are always present at the shop, a sewing machine will ONLY break and need to be disassembled, cleaned and fixed (a dirty job) when I am dressed up.

In our shop we have mannequin examples in full military dress, formal wear, "historical looking" AND tshirt with kilt and day sporran. Come by and check it out... we're only 45 min NW of Philly.

A well made kilt is a VERY versatile garment and can be dressed up AND down just as easily.
    Last edited by RockyR; 4th June 17 at 05:48 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt,tee shirt, sneakers are my every day work clothes (self employed contractor ). But i must admit....i hate the sneaker and kilt look. Sneakers are just best for my feet. I wear doc martins almost everywhere else.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedcontractor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhillyMick View Post
    It seems like most of the guys on here, even in the contemporary section, are really down on the whole "Kilt/t-shirt/sneakers-or-combat-boots" kinda look. As much as I love the more traditional, more dressy looks, I'm a big fan of just throwing on a utility kilt with a t shirt and a pair of vans or docs or desert boots for a show or a street festival or a beer fest or whatever. Anybody else on this board into this sorta thing?
    Most being down on the look might simply be a matter of not having as many people who do wear the casual contemporary that way as members on the forum? Be a fan of your style no matter.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear sneakers/boots and t-shirts with my stumptown kilts. Though I'm looking for something that'll take a button-up better. Quite honestly, I'm wearing a kilt, I've already broken WAY out of the norms around here. So at that point, I might as well enjoy myself.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jumpmonkey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me a utility/cargo/non-tartan kilt is a completely different animal than a traditional tartan kilt. With the latter I lean toward traditional with hose, flashes, sporran, brogues and an appropriate collared shirt. With the former it's whatever I feel like and that's usually hiking boots and a t-shirt because that's what I wear otherwise.

I will wear my tartan kilts to highland games, kilt nights out, Burns nights and maybe other events that require dress above casual. It would never occur to me to wear them to the hardware or grocery stores or just "knocking about".

On the other hand, a utility/cargo/non-tartan kilt = cargo shorts/jeans. It would never occur to me to wear one to any of the above mentioned events or occasions.

I have both.

Having said all that, my "traditional" kilt in MacKenzie weathered does have pockets, but you'd never know it if I didn't tell you.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhillyMick View Post
    It seems like most of the guys on here, even in the contemporary section, are really down on the whole "Kilt/t-shirt/sneakers-or-combat-boots" kinda look. As much as I love the more traditional, more dressy looks, I'm a big fan of just throwing on a utility kilt with a t shirt and a pair of vans or docs or desert boots for a show or a street festival or a beer fest or whatever. Anybody else on this board into this sorta thing?
    I think 99% of my wardrobe is jeans & tshirts....I have a few ties and button shirts for the rare occasion it's needed, but for the most part, I do the same....utility kilt, tshirt, and my Docs. Can't beat the comfort.

(probably just the Philly in us )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

non-traditional kilt wear

I like both the traditional look and the more casual look, depends on the circumstances. However I rarely wear a t-shirt as an outer garment unless I am around the house. I much prefer a regular collared shirt with boots whether I am wearing a kilt or bluejeans. Not against someone else doing it, just does not work for me. In addition, I will almost always be seen with a hat, and that is another controvery for another time.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GrymJack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a fan of both: kilt with t-shirt, and kilt with dressy shirt, often plus a reasonably nice vest, maybe even a tie. Over the past year or two, though, I've been drifting towards the dressy end of things. I seem to get more complements when I do, and I'm a sucker for complements! :-D

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the tiltle means little to me, never having previously heard of Dropkick Murphy and never having assciated myself with punk, rock - definitely, but not punk; I'm casual almost everyday. The less clothes the better, weather permitting, kilt and top excepted of course. I'd guess these Clan Derby guys are more the type you are asking about, they are all into boots and socks. There is, inevitably, one exception, that's me in the centre right in sandals.

If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    Although the tiltle means little to me, never having previously heard of Dropkick Murphy and never having assciated myself with punk, rock - definitely, but not punk; I'm casual almost everyday. The less clothes the better, weather permitting, kilt and top excepted of course. I'd guess these Clan Derby guys are more the type you are asking about, they are all into boots and socks. There is, inevitably, one exception, that's me in the centre right in sandals.
    ]
    Nothing wrong with sandles, just picked up a leather pair that has the front toe cover, great item for shorter hikes. The archeologist in me occasionally put socks on with them but I think they look fine even with a standard kilt and a short sleeve button up or collared pullover. With a more relaxed kilt they fit with a T perfectly.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to derosa For This Useful Post:

tpa

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast