X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 45 of 45
  1. #41
    Join Date
    19th December 17
    Location
    Redneck Riviera (NW Florida, USA)
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a sport kilt at the end of last year and a utility kilt last month, so . . . I'm a kilt newbie for sure.

    I live in a VERY casual area - sandals/flip-flops are the norm and are acceptable in the finest of restaurants. I can't remember the last time I wore shoes & socks, let alone a tie. Before I got a kilt, I wore jeans & flannel shirts in the winter. In the warm months, nothing is best, but in town I wore shorts and a shirt (T or otherwise). Or just shorts on the fishing docks. I go barefoot everywhere.

    So naturally, I wear my casual kilts barefoot. It just warmed up enough to wear short sleeves, and I wore a fishing shirt with the kilt yesterday. I will likely wear a t-shirt sometimes as well. Barefoot.

    That said, I have just about finished choosing a "Pub Package" to order that will include a nicer kilt, hose, flashes, shirt, etc... and look forward to wearing it for those few times I would have worn slacks and a nice shirt or tie. It's going to feel very strange the first time I put on hose and shoes, though.

    Who knows, maybe I'll ramp up my style after getting the kit.
    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' ;)

  2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mBoyd For This Useful Post:


  3. #42
    Join Date
    27th January 11
    Location
    Matlock, Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    2,088
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mBoyd View Post
    I just got a sport kilt at the end of last year and a utility kilt last month, so . . . I'm a kilt newbie for sure.

    I live in a VERY casual area - sandals/flip-flops are the norm and are acceptable in the finest of restaurants. I can't remember the last time I wore shoes & socks, let alone a tie. Before I got a kilt, I wore jeans & flannel shirts in the winter. In the warm months, nothing is best, but in town I wore shorts and a shirt (T or otherwise). Or just shorts on the fishing docks. I go barefoot everywhere.

    So naturally, I wear my casual kilts barefoot. It just warmed up enough to wear short sleeves, and I wore a fishing shirt with the kilt yesterday. I will likely wear a t-shirt sometimes as well. Barefoot.

    That said, I have just about finished choosing a "Pub Package" to order that will include a nicer kilt, hose, flashes, shirt, etc... and look forward to wearing it for those few times I would have worn slacks and a nice shirt or tie. It's going to feel very strange the first time I put on hose and shoes, though.

    Who knows, maybe I'll ramp up my style after getting the kit.
    Just substitute the kilt for the shorts or slacks and leave the rest alone if that's what's comfortable for you. Even in the UK, when the weather is tolerably warm, I'm in kilt, sandals and polo shirt, finding hose too warm and even with hose on, am often in sandals or similar in the winter. The flashes only appear on more formal occasions.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

  4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:


  5. #43
    Terry Searl is offline This person has chosen not to remain within the community
    Join Date
    13th September 07
    Location
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    we are all different

    When I was a lad I dressed like a like a Hippy......I had shoulder length hair when Crew cuts were the style, wore sandals and bell bottomed trousers and head bands and beads......when I finally looked for and got a good paying job to attract the the gal that I wanted to be with forever. I dressed smartly in very good quality and stylish British clothes......later when money became really important I gave that all up and I worked at Commercial fishing, heavy construction and logging.....all rough jobs ya' might say, but exceedingly very well paying and that gal stayed with me. Much later when I retired I found a re-newed pleasure in wearing nice clothes and so I adopted Kilted attire. Yes the jackets and waistcoats are important and I love to wear them, but I strangely I consider being dressed up when I wear my House of Cheviot stockings, of which I have a dozen pairs. To me it's the various hose and the colours, that makes my outfits go from somewhat casual to my Sunday Best. Kilted attire really does morph into various styles and yet it is still so personal..........and gives me a great pleasure

  6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:


  7. #44
    Join Date
    16th January 16
    Location
    long island new york usa
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    When I was a lad I dressed like a like a Hippy......I had shoulder length hair when Crew cuts were the style, wore sandals and bell bottomed trousers and head bands and beads......when I finally looked for and got a good paying job to attract the the gal that I wanted to be with forever. I dressed smartly in very good quality and stylish British clothes......later when money became really important I gave that all up and I worked at Commercial fishing, heavy construction and logging.....all rough jobs ya' might say, but exceedingly very well paying and that gal stayed with me. Much later when I retired I found a re-newed pleasure in wearing nice clothes and so I adopted Kilted attire. Yes the jackets and waistcoats are important and I love to wear them, but I strangely I consider being dressed up when I wear my House of Cheviot stockings, of which I have a dozen pairs. To me it's the various hose and the colours, that makes my outfits go from somewhat casual to my Sunday Best. Kilted attire really does morph into various styles and yet it is still so personal..........and gives me a great pleasure
    Sounds like there is a book in you.

  8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedcontractor For This Useful Post:


  9. #45
    Join Date
    19th December 17
    Location
    Redneck Riviera (NW Florida, USA)
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    Just substitute the kilt for the shorts or slacks and leave the rest alone if that's what's comfortable for you. Even in the UK, when the weather is tolerably warm, I'm in kilt, sandals and polo shirt, finding hose too warm and even with hose on, am often in sandals or similar in the winter. The flashes only appear on more formal occasions.
    Thanks, that's what I've been doing so far. It wasn't all that long ago that casual for me meant slacks and a nice shirt, though.

    Ant thank you for the reminder - I'm sure I have some polo shirts tucked away somewhere. I stopped wearing them when my spare tire grew and gave them an odd stretch. That shouldn't be a problem today.
    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' ;)

  10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mBoyd For This Useful Post:

    tpa

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0