X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a sport kilt at the end of last year and a utility kilt last month, so . . . I'm a kilt newbie for sure.

I live in a VERY casual area - sandals/flip-flops are the norm and are acceptable in the finest of restaurants. I can't remember the last time I wore shoes & socks, let alone a tie. Before I got a kilt, I wore jeans & flannel shirts in the winter. In the warm months, nothing is best, but in town I wore shorts and a shirt (T or otherwise). Or just shorts on the fishing docks. I go barefoot everywhere.

So naturally, I wear my casual kilts barefoot. It just warmed up enough to wear short sleeves, and I wore a fishing shirt with the kilt yesterday. I will likely wear a t-shirt sometimes as well. Barefoot.

That said, I have just about finished choosing a "Pub Package" to order that will include a nicer kilt, hose, flashes, shirt, etc... and look forward to wearing it for those few times I would have worn slacks and a nice shirt or tie. It's going to feel very strange the first time I put on hose and shoes, though.

Who knows, maybe I'll ramp up my style after getting the kit.
    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' ;)

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mBoyd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mBoyd View Post
    I just got a sport kilt at the end of last year and a utility kilt last month, so . . . I'm a kilt newbie for sure.

I live in a VERY casual area - sandals/flip-flops are the norm and are acceptable in the finest of restaurants. I can't remember the last time I wore shoes & socks, let alone a tie. Before I got a kilt, I wore jeans & flannel shirts in the winter. In the warm months, nothing is best, but in town I wore shorts and a shirt (T or otherwise). Or just shorts on the fishing docks. I go barefoot everywhere.

So naturally, I wear my casual kilts barefoot. It just warmed up enough to wear short sleeves, and I wore a fishing shirt with the kilt yesterday. I will likely wear a t-shirt sometimes as well. Barefoot.

That said, I have just about finished choosing a "Pub Package" to order that will include a nicer kilt, hose, flashes, shirt, etc... and look forward to wearing it for those few times I would have worn slacks and a nice shirt or tie. It's going to feel very strange the first time I put on hose and shoes, though.

Who knows, maybe I'll ramp up my style after getting the kit.
    Just substitute the kilt for the shorts or slacks and leave the rest alone if that's what's comfortable for you. Even in the UK, when the weather is tolerably warm, I'm in kilt, sandals and polo shirt, finding hose too warm and even with hose on, am often in sandals or similar in the winter. The flashes only appear on more formal occasions.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are all different

When I was a lad I dressed like a like a Hippy......I had shoulder length hair when Crew cuts were the style, wore sandals and bell bottomed trousers and head bands and beads......when I finally looked for and got a good paying job to attract the the gal that I wanted to be with forever. I dressed smartly in very good quality and stylish British clothes......later when money became really important I gave that all up and I worked at Commercial fishing, heavy construction and logging.....all rough jobs ya' might say, but exceedingly very well paying and that gal stayed with me. Much later when I retired I found a re-newed pleasure in wearing nice clothes and so I adopted Kilted attire. Yes the jackets and waistcoats are important and I love to wear them, but I strangely I consider being dressed up when I wear my House of Cheviot stockings, of which I have a ½ dozen pairs. To me it's the various hose and the colours, that makes my outfits go from somewhat casual to my Sunday Best. Kilted attire really does morph into various styles and yet it is still so personal..........and gives me a great pleasure

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    When I was a lad I dressed like a like a Hippy......I had shoulder length hair when Crew cuts were the style, wore sandals and bell bottomed trousers and head bands and beads......when I finally looked for and got a good paying job to attract the the gal that I wanted to be with forever. I dressed smartly in very good quality and stylish British clothes......later when money became really important I gave that all up and I worked at Commercial fishing, heavy construction and logging.....all rough jobs ya' might say, but exceedingly very well paying and that gal stayed with me. Much later when I retired I found a re-newed pleasure in wearing nice clothes and so I adopted Kilted attire. Yes the jackets and waistcoats are important and I love to wear them, but I strangely I consider being dressed up when I wear my House of Cheviot stockings, of which I have a ½ dozen pairs. To me it's the various hose and the colours, that makes my outfits go from somewhat casual to my Sunday Best. Kilted attire really does morph into various styles and yet it is still so personal..........and gives me a great pleasure
    Sounds like there is a book in you.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedcontractor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    Just substitute the kilt for the shorts or slacks and leave the rest alone if that's what's comfortable for you. Even in the UK, when the weather is tolerably warm, I'm in kilt, sandals and polo shirt, finding hose too warm and even with hose on, am often in sandals or similar in the winter. The flashes only appear on more formal occasions.
    Thanks, that's what I've been doing so far. It wasn't all that long ago that casual for me meant slacks and a nice shirt, though.

Ant thank you for the reminder - I'm sure I have some polo shirts tucked away somewhere. I stopped wearing them when my spare tire grew and gave them an odd stretch. That shouldn't be a problem today.
    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' ;)

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mBoyd For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a potter, artist, and school teacher. Would your wear nice clothing if you knew that you would be rolling around in the mud all day and sweating?

You won't catch me dressed up in my finest clothing while I am at work. I will wear a utility kilt to make pottery and play in the mud. I'm also in the deep south. High temperatures last week were up to 106 F and humidity levels tend to stay over 90%. It is hot and muggy. I would be willing to bet that in our high heat and humidity, most people would do what we do here in Louisiana. We wear light weight fabrics and do our best to stay cool.

I fit the description of former punk rocker. I do wear my utility kilt with a T-shirt and hiking boots. I enjoy being dressed this way. I understand that there is a place and time for everything. You won't catch me wearing a utility kilt, t-shirt and boots to a wedding. You will catch me wearing it at work, in the art/pottery studio, hiking, or at home relaxing etc.. It is highly unlikely that anyone will see.me dressed up at the school where I teach at any time other than the first day of school or at q more formal event. I'm simply always covered in clay. Wool kilts, waist coats, ties, and fine jackets just aren't appropriate for the environment where I work.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Curtis Bias For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhillyMick View Post
    I'm a big fan of just throwing on a utility kilt with a t shirt and a pair of vans or docs or desert boots for a show or a street festival or a beer fest or whatever. Anybody else on this board into this sorta thing?

I am so glad that you ask this question because I was just about to ask this very same question myself. I live in Hawaii where it is warm year around and I am a dress down and casual kind of guy so T-shirts are my standard attire. Having said that, I wondered if wearing a T-shirt with a kilt was considered to be acceptable? I'm glad that you ask the question so that I could see the answers that have been given here and so that I could be reassured that I can indeed wear a T-shirt with a kilt.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor wretched souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
    "Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bluethunder90 For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt dress

I wear my kilt mostly on the weekends.I like tartan kilts best I do have a Ut uitily kilt I use it for my morning walk and to work around the house.in my tartan it is t-shirt or polo shirt with hiking boots.for nicer time I will add hose and flashes,and if it is for a really nice thing bottom shirt tie waistcoat hose and flashes.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Elden For This Useful Post:

tpa

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345