X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even a wedding..

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhillyMick View Post
    It seems like most of the guys on here, even in the contemporary section, are really down on the whole "Kilt/t-shirt/sneakers-or-combat-boots" kinda look. As much as I love the more traditional, more dressy looks, I'm a big fan of just throwing on a utility kilt with a t shirt and a pair of vans or docs or desert boots for a show or a street festival or a beer fest or whatever. Anybody else on this board into this sorta thing?
    Actually played a wedding a few years back, wearing a Drop Kick Murphy's T-shirt and Doc Martens with my kilt, at the request of the Couple. I used to have and wear a Utilikilt and liked it, may buy another one day, but am happy with my wool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llyd View Post
    Old Highlanders....the original punk scene.
    Sums it up...I pretty much see it that way...dudes that wore a blanket, cunningly contrived, many of them with little.in the way of means...he was not very formal.....

So, I like both ends of the deal....from Argyll and waistcoat, to Metallica tee shirt and sport kilt with boots. I have several kilts that never go anywhere but yardwork...

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to llyd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the English folk music scene and the border morris sides are moving towards kilts - mostly black but I have noticed tartans creeping in over the last few years.

I probably have some photos, but a visit to U-Tube should turn up a few examples of the kilt work in a non traditional manner.

I am in a morris side and at the last AGM the not wearing of trousers was made an option, but now I am torn between a kilt and an English smock in black with purple stitching. I suppose that both could be an option.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhillyMick View Post
    It seems like most of the guys on here, even in the contemporary section, are really down on the whole "Kilt/t-shirt/sneakers-or-combat-boots" kinda look. As much as I love the more traditional, more dressy looks, I'm a big fan of just throwing on a utility kilt with a t shirt and a pair of vans or docs or desert boots for a show or a street festival or a beer fest or whatever. Anybody else on this board into this sorta thing?
    I personally am not into this look, but I am not one to say it is wrong... I believe we are not here to Judge Others.. I don't even like wearing a T-Shirt with my Cargo Pants or Shorts.. About the only time I wear a T-Shirt is when I am home and not planning on going out anywhere.. When I wear my utility kilt, I like to dress up with a Nice Shirt and Tie, Sometimes Tartan, A Sporran, Kilt Pin, Hose n' Flashes. and a nice pair of Shoes. (I should soon have my Clan Farquharson Tartan Kilt).

I believe we are individuals, and we should do what make us comfortable. Sometimes I substitute my Shirt and Tie with my black Jacobite Shirt. After my Tartan Kilt arrives, I know I will be wearing it more than my Utility Kilt. I will also be wearing my Tartan Kilt or try at least to wear it more traditionally than I wear my Utility/Cargo Kilt. I will on occasion wear my Jacobite Shirt with my Tartan Kilt when it arrives... I may even wear my Jacobite Shirt with my Pants...
    Bill...
    “Canadian Grown and Raised from Scottish Roots!”.....
    "Clan Farquharson, & Clan Fraser of Lovat"....

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Famous Willie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first kilt a year ago. I wasn't quite sure if I was going to like it or not. After a year I have to say I do, so I'm (as always) saving for a one a bit more upscale.

Seeing that the one I own is casual doesn't mean I don't go formal with it. As any kilt where I'm at is formal. I generally go barefoot or with flip-flops. I think there is a lot of room for individuality with a kilt that one cannot get with a pair of jeans. It's almost a petri dish for those who have just discovered it. As a less young punk I'm all for pushing it as far as I can.

I think what I'm trying to get out here, is the motto of many of the old pirates in the tattoo trade: Ancient as Time, Modern as Tomorrow."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have certainly been a punk rocker in my time. And I think that combat boots and a leather jacket look great with a kilt.

That said, I don't wear T-shirts much anymore, unless I'm exercising. Of course, I didn't bother packing all my old Black Flag shirts when I moved to China to teach English. We don't get many punk shows in Beijing. And I don't currently own a leather jacket, although I have plans to change that in the near future. My casual kilt looks usually involve the Jacobite/pirate shirt (with or without sleeves) or a turtleneck, depending on the season. I also have some lightweight collarless broadcloth shirts that work well.

My casual kilt footwear is typically hiking boots. I don't currently have any combat boots or Doc Martens. The only time I wear sneakers with a kilt is for running. The only time I wear sandals is with my Japanese kimono.

I will also note that I don't have a Utiliikilt or other non-traditional kilt. I think the Utilikilt is cool, but haven't gotten around to buying one. My kilts are all tartan at the moment.

But the punk kilt look is a good one and you should enjoy sporting it when you feel like it.

Kilt on!

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While defending the right of anyone to wear what they want. As I mentioned elsewhere I still think of T shirts as underwear, the last time I think I wore a T shirt was for physical training in the military 40 years ago.
    The " lowest" standard I wear kilted or Saxon is a polo shirt.

As far as footwear is considered my sandal wearing days are long over with a permanently damaged big right toe which needs protection. It's slightly painful just lying here. Brogues or ghillies are my normal wear on semi / formal occasions but outside of that, Saxon or kilted I normally now wear steel toe capped boots or shoes to protect my toe.

The type of footwear for me is dictated by the occasion, if I'm walking the dog, or a not absolutely dry, country fair, then boots are in order.
    For sailing, sailing boots,
    Other times shoes,
    I've never owned a pair of trainers ( sneakers), back in school / military days for physical training, it was plimsolls like these, https://www.shuperb.co.uk/dek-retro-...iABEgKMJvD_BwE
    Last edited by The Q; 3rd December 17 at 01:30 PM.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to parochial school until the 8th grade and had to wear a uniform. I kind of hated it and it really is just the cover not the book, although many are facile enough to confuse the two. To put it another way, clothes don't make the person. Sure, I have my limits of sartorial expression based on the occasion, but I can wear jeans and sneakers at work, so it works out for me. As far as the contemporary stuff goes, I'd like to get a utilikilt workman. I have a UTKilt standard in BW that I wear for working around the house and it's taking a beating. The workman is a lot heavier duty. Stumptown kilts has some interesting offerings too. I might look at that as they are coming out with a 25" drop next year.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think I fit this category..sort of.
    I play in a punk rock band, I've played in punk rock bands for about 30 years now. But, I've never worn a kilt on stage. I think I'm a bit too kinetic of a player to make it work.

But off stage, I tend to mix the kilt in however I can. Last "burns day" I couldn't find my hard boots, so I had to rock a pair of clean Vans.
    I don't wear or own a "suit" anymore, I am trying to minimize my wardrobe (The Wife™ read something called the "30 30 challenge") so I could have a kilt or a suit...I chose the kilt(s).

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me too

Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    No, not really. Its been months since I have worn a t shirt in public. I hardly ever leave the house without at least a shirt with a collar, and usually also a waistcoat.

But then I also hardly ever wear jeans, dont own a pair of tennis shoes, and my combat boot wearing is decidedly in the past.

The last time I went with a contemporary kilt wear look, it was at a camp/party after Tartan day where I changed out my wingtip ankle boots for a pair of Merrel hiking boots, and waistcoat shirt and tie for a kuhl pullover.

There is alot to be said for dressing "up" all the time, but all the positives have pretty much been lost on the kids today.

Yea, Get off my lawn LOL Ive just become an old foggy
    I'm with you Luke.......I spent over 50 years of my in rough working clothes and now I thoroughly enjoy putting on a finer assembly

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast