X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can go dressy or casual depending on the situation and how I feel. As far as the whole punk-rock hipster look; I'm more rock then punk and I don't do the hipster thing. The kilt is a garment that is more versatile then a pair of pants and can easily be added to any style someone feels more comfortable with.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LKM For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I consider myself mostly a traditionalist (not just in kilts but in most of life, I suppose). I rarely wear t-shirts any more, as I just don't find them comfortable or attractive on men over a certain age. Plus the round ribbed neck on standard t-shirts bothers me, so I usually prefer to wear a button-up shirt with the top couple of buttons unbuttoned if I am looking to be comfortable and casual. I do wear "muscle shirts" for casual wear at home, despite not having any muscles, LOL.

This photo is quite a few years old, and is about as close to what y'all are talking about as I get. I'm just not sure where I would wear such a thing any more. I don't go to rock or punk concerts, and even if I were going to a pub I would dress more appropriately than this.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the casual utility kilt and t shirt trend. It opens the opportunity to wear kilts in many more situations. My particular variation is wearing a polo shirt with a cargo kilt, sometimes with boots, sometimes with sandals, mostly hiking shoes. I would feel out of place dressing any more formally in a kilt. Of course, there are times and places where more formality is called for; but I live in a very rural area in New Hampshire and the normal, everyday dress is very relaxed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I would put punk and hipster in the same sentence, but regardless, my opinion (as a keen observer of menfolk) ...

dead gallus!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bismish For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhillyMick View Post
    It seems like most of the guys on here, even in the contemporary section, are really down on the whole "Kilt/t-shirt/sneakers-or-combat-boots" kinda look. As much as I love the more traditional, more dressy looks, I'm a big fan of just throwing on a utility kilt with a t shirt and a pair of vans or docs or desert boots for a show or a street festival or a beer fest or whatever. Anybody else on this board into this sorta thing?
    Absolutely. I love the long docs, black shirt or T. I had a Sporran made for my wedding, which has some blue in it to match my kilt, and a steam punk feel to the whole thing. I have done the formal thing a couple of times, but I wear mine hiking and to parties, so you don't want to formal it up for those times!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding my tuppence worth as a woman I love both the traditional kilt look and the casual utility one on guys. Unless you are in a pipe band, then the traditional outfit is frowned upon being worn by women, so the utility kilt is one way for us gals to be able to kilt up and be comfortable doing it. I prefer to wear mine with ankle or knee high leather boots and either a long sleeve top or short casual jacket. Saw an older guy in Asda supermarket in Dunbar East Lothian a few months ago wearing a black utility kilt, dark t-shirt and hiking boots. He looked great and confident. Got lots of looks but I guess admiring ones. Generally kilts only get worn in public in Scotland for special occasions so nice to see them " going shopping" ! The steampunk ( as opposed to the Goths ) movement has caught on here in England and the guy kilt thing as a spin-off from punk, seems to be popular.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Charliezeta For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think my clothing preferences have changed much since I was a teenage metalhead. I still love black t-shirts and black coats. But have traded in my combat boots as I have gotten older, for harley boots.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to styphonthal For This Useful Post:

LKM

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As other have said, I am very conservative with my dress both formal and casual. Because I am a US Customs Officer, relaxing with a polo shirt, cargo shorts (summer) and Levis or Kakis trousers in colder months with crew sweat shirt or sweater is my normal dress. Rarely do I wear T-shirt, except for Car Shows (I am a car nut), cruises or the beach. I prefer the polo shirt, with shorts, nice supportive sneakers, yes I wear VANS, not the best supportive show, but nice to wear. I do not own a pair of loafers, prefer oxfords, and winter love my Frye side buckle boots, and my dress ankle boots, keeps the feet warm.

Wearing of the kilt I try to keep for a special occasion, and love the more formal look of the kilt, as I am still rather new to dawning Scottish attire, I have expanded to purchase a "Sport" style kilt that I intent to wear at the upcoming Richmond Games. During larger Scottish Games I like to wear my "living history" Jacobite era clothing. For more formal occasions, Clan diners, Burn Night Out, Tartan Balls, I like to wear the full dress often black or white tie depending upon the dress code of the event.

So overall, I don't think anybody is wrong on what they where and when they wear it, I just dress for the occasion, make sure I am in proper order, and represent my heritage properly.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old Highlanders....the original punk scene.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess that is good way to look at it. Difference is the Highlanders advanced, but punkers depressed...
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast