X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wonder Woman!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like a Gordons badge on an Argylls bonnet based on the dicing. They seem to be going for a vaguely military look without representing a specific regiment.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Guthrumironhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Through the whole movie I was just wanting to see more of the kilt ~ I felt that the director kind of - either had the Scot behind people, or had the camera zoomed in on his torso

(maybe so the audience wouldn't be distracted by the kilt and have all the thunder taken away from WonderWoman ~ hehehe)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had another question about Charlie the Scottish sniper. In the movie, as they travel from Britain to the front lines in France, He is wearing some sort of tan-colored cape style coat. It isn't an Inverness cape, because it only hangs down to about his waist and it doesn't have the second outer "cape-let" around the shoulders.

Does anyone know what this thing is and whether it was a typical item of military kit at the time?

I'm just curious and figure the great Rabble would likely have some insights.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I had another question about Charlie the Scottish sniper. In the movie, as they travel from Britain to the front lines in France, He is wearing some sort of tan-colored cape style coat. It isn't an Inverness cape, because it only hangs down to about his waist and it doesn't have the second outer "cape-let" around the shoulders.

Does anyone know what this thing is and whether it was a typical item of military kit at the time?

I'm just curious and figure the great Rabble would likely have some insights.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    I haven't seen the movie, but from the photos I see online, it looks like it might be the 1917 pattern Mk VII cape, which was basically just a canvas ground cloth or glorified poncho with a collar at one corner. You can Google images of it. This was used from WWI all the way to early WWII, as I recall. It hangs lower on the left side due to the assymetrical nature of the design. The right side will be about waist length with the left side being lower.

*edit: What Price Glory sells reproductions of these as a "British Khaki Rain Cape".
    Last edited by Tobus; 27th November 17 at 07:26 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks Tobus. That was really quick!

I'll have to look up the pictures. I don't know if I would actually have much use for it, but I am always curious about outerwear for use with the kilt. In wintertime Beijing, outerwear is always a very practical concern.

It's pretty amazing all of the things What Price Glory manages to reproduce. What a resource, indeed.

Andrew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12