X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekc5555 View Post
    I understand it's not 100% historically accurate...
    Not 100%, not 50%, not 1%. No garment remotely like that ever existed.

My opinion is that the costumer saw images of people wearing modern kilts with long plaids, and images of people wearing philamores, and, not understanding that they were seeing two completely different types of dress, came up with a bizarre conflation/hybrid/mashup of the two.

Or that the costumer did understand the difference, but decided she/he wanted a "look" that combined elements of the two, and created that mess literally out of whole cloth.

No-one wishing to dress in Scottish Highland dress (of any period) would have any reason to re-create that Hollywood costume.

Cosplay is different: if you want to dress up specifically as Liam Neeson's character in Rob Roy you would need to re-create that costume, of course.

I think the costumer saw images like this

and this

and thought the long plaid was attached to the kilt somehow, and did it.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th June 17 at 04:58 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    No-one wishing to dress in Scottish Highland dress (of any period) would have any reason to re-create that Hollywood costume.

Cosplay is different: if you want to dress up specifically as Liam Neeson's character in Rob Roy you would need to re-create that costume, of course.
    Not planning on dressing up or to reenact. Just watched the movie and was curious as to what was going on with his kilt/plaid. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Has there ever been a historically accurate Feileadh Mòr in Hollywood. Rob Roy was wrong. Braveheart was WAY off. Outlander is the closest that I've seen, but I think that still has a bit of "Hollywood flare". I do know the actors in Outlander do pleat the kilts themselves before they start filming.

Any other films or shows I should look into? Those are the only three I know about. I'm young, born June 1988, so my movie knowledge is limited.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't it have just been easier and cheaper to use a real great kilt?

"Easier and cheaper" doesn't translate into a better shot in the film.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not planning on dressing up or to reenact. Just watched the movie and was curious as to what was going on with his kilt/plaid. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Has there ever been a historically accurate Feileadh Mòr in Hollywood. Rob Roy was wrong. Braveheart was WAY off. Outlander is the closest that I've seen, but I think that still has a bit of "Hollywood flare". I do know the actors in Outlander do pleat the kilts themselves before they start filming.

Any other films or shows I should look into? Those are the only three I know about. I'm young, born June 1988, so my movie knowledge is limited.
    Very rarely, if ever is hollywood going to get something correct, their business is not education, but entertainment. Add in that there are guilds and unions involved, and what could be done cheap and correct, most likely violates a rule, as those costumers have house payments..........

If you want to see something that is a bit more correct, you probably need to look not at hollywood movies, but documentaries that have used reenactors, but even then, its only going to be as correct as the reenactors themselves are, and reenactors, especially Scottish ones, are prone to fits of fancy, not total dedication to doing what is correct. There is a very history heavy, but rather small group that does Fraser's 71st Highlanders for Revolutionary war, they are small because they portray the unit as it actually was, clean shaven and wearing trousers, while there are probably hundreds of other Rev war types that portray Highland regiments as bearded and wearing something decidedly Scottish. They know they are wrong, but make choices that increase the numbers in the ranks, history be darned. Anyway that hardcore unit, They joke that Im the only cleanshaven highlander in French and Indian war reenacting, and they are not far from the truth!

Wish I could give you a better answer, I really do........

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Very rarely, if ever is hollywood going to get something correct, their business is not education, but entertainment. Add in that there are guilds and unions involved, and what could be done cheap and correct, most likely violates a rule, as those costumers have house payments..........

If you want to see something that is a bit more correct, you probably need to look not at hollywood movies, but documentaries that have used reenactors, but even then, its only going to be as correct as the reenactors themselves are, and reenactors, especially Scottish ones, are prone to fits of fancy, not total dedication to doing what is correct. There is a very history heavy, but rather small group that does Fraser's 71st Highlanders for Revolutionary war, they are small because they portray the unit as it actually was, clean shaven and wearing trousers, while there are probably hundreds of other Rev war types that portray Highland regiments as bearded and wearing something decidedly Scottish. They know they are wrong, but make choices that increase the numbers in the ranks, history be darned. Anyway that hardcore unit, They joke that Im the only cleanshaven highlander in French and Indian war reenacting, and they are not far from the truth!

Wish I could give you a better answer, I really do........

Why the preoccupation with beards among the farby-set? It seems like that would be the easy part to get right...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    Why the preoccupation with beards among the farby-set? It seems like that would be the easy part to get right...
    The million dollar question
    Vestis virum reddit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    Well, I kinda understand, as I much prefer to be bearded, for awhile I took off from 18th Century reenacting simply because I decided to see if I could grow my beard long enough to use it as an upper body garment........

Some people are unable to reconcile the desire to be bearded, with a hobby that to excel at, one should be clean shaven. Many of those people are lifelong friends of mine, and they all know that I wish they would shave, but they dont. All I can do is be the best example that I can. Thing is, looking at photos of my group, I am out the one that looks out of place, with cut cloth bag hose, great kilt of non modern black watch coloring, two tone vest and coat (last years coat is this years waistcoat) clean shaven and on and on and on. One of these days Im probably going to be asked to not come back till I can look like the rest of the unit.....

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I kinda understand, as I much prefer to be bearded, for awhile I took off from 18th Century reenacting simply because I decided to see if I could grow my beard long enough to use it as an upper body garment........

Some people are unable to reconcile the desire to be bearded, with a hobby that to excel at, one should be clean shaven. Many of those people are lifelong friends of mine, and they all know that I wish they would shave, but they dont. All I can do is be the best example that I can. Thing is, looking at photos of my group, I am out the one that looks out of place, with cut cloth bag hose, great kilt of non modern black watch coloring, two tone vest and coat (last years coat is this years waistcoat) clean shaven and on and on and on. One of these days Im probably going to be asked to not come back till I can look like the rest of the unit.....
    And this is why when I do historic interpretation I prefer to go as a civilian of militiaman. I have done living history since 1974 and I have worn a beard since I was a 19 year old PO3 (during Admiral Zumwalt's time as CNO). I continue to wear the beard partially for cosmetic reasons, to cover facial scars from the same period, because it is more comfortable and partially so that family and friends can recognize me (there was a time in my children's lives that they did not realize that men could maybe not have beards). So, I wear a beard and will continue to do so.

Just my two cents worth,
    Stoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see pictures if you have any. I've never done any reenactments, but I'm very interested in it. Idk if there is anything like that in northern California, but the Culloden jacobites and period highland culture is very fascinating to me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoff View Post
    And this is why when I do historic interpretation I prefer to go as a civilian of militiaman. I have done living history since 1974 and I have worn a beard since I was a 19 year old PO3 (during Admiral Zumwalt's time as CNO). I continue to wear the beard partially for cosmetic reasons, to cover facial scars from the same period, because it is more comfortable and partially so that family and friends can recognize me (there was a time in my children's lives that they did not realize that men could maybe not have beards). So, I wear a beard and will continue to do so.

Just my two cents worth,
    Stoff
    Is there documentation showing that beards were worn by civilians or militia during the F&I or RevWar period?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast