X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob Roy movie shoulder plaid

In the movie Rob Roy, Liam Neeson is not wearing a great kilt; he is wear a philiabeg and shoulder plaid. I just cannot figure out how his shoulder plaid is folded and wrapped. Can you please help me out?
    282674_full.jpg
    21Rob-Roy-1.jpg
    rob-roy-1995-liam-neeson-jessica-lange-rory-117-BKN1R2.jpg
    Rob.Roy.1995.BDRip.LATiNO.XviD-www.intercambiosvirtuales.org-8-20120407-004302.jpg
    Liam-Neeson-in-Rob-Roy-2.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safe to say its something dreamed up in Hollywood, not from examples of historic dress. The question you have to ask yourself is this: "Do I want to be hollywood, or do I want to be authentic"

If you go with Scottish dress that matches the historic examples you can attend everything from the most hardcore stich counting reenactments to Ren Faires, Cosplay conventions and the like. Go the other way and you will limit yourself.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some fellows on here are a wealth of information and show great passion for accuracy of these historic garments...but one must follow his own passion regarding these things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Safe to say its something dreamed up in Hollywood, not from examples of historic dress. The question you have to ask yourself is this: "Do I want to be hollywood, or do I want to be authentic"

If you go with Scottish dress that matches the historic examples you can attend everything from the most hardcore stich counting reenactments to Ren Faires, Cosplay conventions and the like. Go the other way and you will limit yourself.
    I'm understand it's not 100% historically accurate, I just can't figure out how his plaid is connected to his kilt. Is it just tucked in the kilt and pinned to the shoulder? Or just simply draped from the shoulder?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a movie costume, there could be a belt/suspender foundational piece underneath that is keeping everything in place.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    As a movie costume, there could be a belt/suspender foundational piece underneath that is keeping everything in place.
    Or even be one garment, that replicates shirt, waistcoat, coat, plaid all at once, with a zipper in the back.....

Not like we are dealing with Kubrick making a special camera lense to be able to film in candle light!

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember quite a few years ago this was discussed. The costume designer came on and said that there was not just one costume for this character but four. It would depend on what was needed to be seen which costume he was dressed in.
    It was also said that in the famous scene where he is with his wife the costume was actually three separate pieces. The kilt was one and it was over ten yards of loosely draped fabric just wrapped around him for the look of a lot of pleats. Then there was the shoulder piece with the third piece under that, again to give the appearance of yards and yards of fabric and to retain the modesty of the actors during the shooting of the scene.

So yes, what you see the actor wearing is not a real kilt. At least not one capable of being reproduced. But a film costume that would give the effect the director wanted in a particular scene.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't it have just been easier and cheaper to use a real great kilt?

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that would depend on what you use for the definition of great kilt. As far as I know there is no one, single definition. There are all the ren-faire interpertations and the myths but ----
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I guess that would depend on what you use for the definition of great kilt. As far as I know there is no one, single definition. There are all the ren-faire interpertations and the myths but ----
    Precisely Steve. Since when have the entertainments industry ever let the truth, facts, details and including bothering about correct attire, ever get in the way of a good story? Sadly the repercussions of that, often shows up here in the discussion pages.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th June 17 at 02:26 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast