X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Short Sleeves

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely wonderful highland "wellies"
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I'm with Tobus on favoring the two-pocketed variety of short sleeve shirts for warm weather wear with a kilt, as in this photo taken a few years ago at the oh so muddy Grandfather Mountain games:

I tend to get them from Cabela's, and they just happen to be on sale now, if this is the type of thing you're looking for.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cloth...lar/749218.uts
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! I had great success, I think, today with a polo shirt. I felt very comfortable and confident in the kilt for the first time. I got more compliments than corrections anyways!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	31118
    Last edited by MacInLaw; 18th June 17 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Added picture

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacInLaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how others feel about them, but I often sport my linen "Jacobite" shirts in the warm weather. The linen is cool, the lace-up collar is open, and they look good with the kilt. I have both the puffy-sleeve version and a sleeveless one I use when it gets really hot. I originally got the sleeveless for wearing when I run, since I run races wearing a kilt (good ventilation, no friction, nobody comments on how slow I am). But I've found it works well when I'm just walking around, too.

I have a couple of collarless, very lightweight cotton-linen type long-sleeve shirts I bought while traveling in the sub-tropics (Cambodia and India). They also work well for hot days with the kilt, as they combine cool breathability, an open neck, and sun protection from the sleeves.

I have polo shirts and wear them with my khakis. I haven't done so with my kilt, but don't see anything wrong with it. Ditto with t-shirts. I really try to treat the kilt as regular clothing rather than a costume. But the way I dress normally might strike some as "costume-y" anyway, so take that for what it's worth. I can say that in winter time I have no problem wearing turtlenecks with my kilt for casual attire.

Taking a few cues from the military of a century ago, I'm planning to get a couple of all-cotton safari/tropical uniform style shirts in khaki to pair with a pith helmet for next summer. I think these will look pretty "cool" with the kilt. We'll see...

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I don't know how others feel about them, but I often sport my linen "Jacobite" shirts in the warm weather. The linen is cool, the lace-up collar is open, and they look good with the kilt. I have both the puffy-sleeve version and a sleeveless one I use when it gets really hot. I originally got the sleeveless for wearing when I run, since I run races wearing a kilt (good ventilation, no friction, nobody comments on how slow I am). But I've found it works well when I'm just walking around, too.
    The sleeveless one might be a good idea for me, if this Southern California heatwave doesn't let up any time soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often Wear a polo shirt at the non formal events at my sailing club. They normally have a 3 inch circle logo on the left upper chest saying something like "Three Rivers Race 2002", or "Yeoman and Kinsman Nationals 2016" The club is something of a heat trap as it faces south, fully formal dress in the summer can be quite hot.
    I must admit I prefer a polo Shirt with collar, not a T shirt without, to me a T shirt is still underwear...
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SunriseEarth,

I've actually got 2 of the sleeveless version. The first I made myself, using cotton sheeting fabric from Wal-Mart. It is essentially a pillowcase with arm holes and a lace-up placket (no collar). That outfit also included my home-made cotton Tam 'O' Shanter, which was built around a terrycloth sweatband.

The second I got at a Red Faire when I was talking to the vendor who sold my my puffy-sleeve shirt (Jack's Shirts). I told him I wished I had a sleeveless version of his shirt, since it was really comfortable and stylish. He said, "Oh I've got those," and pulled some out of the back of the booth. So I bought it and now wear it in preference to my home-made version.

Either one would work well in Southern Cali temperatures. And they are great for showing off muscles or tattoos, if that's your thing, too. Me, I just like 'em because they are cool. I'm from Florida and the summers here in Beijing are just as hot and humid as back home.

Andrew

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love polo shirts with a kilt on an informal occasion. Being a little portly it also makes the business of aligning shirt buttons with the belt buckle and the centre of the tartan a little easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInLaw View Post
    Thanks all! I had great success, I think, today with a polo shirt. I felt very comfortable and confident in the kilt for the first time. I got more compliments than corrections anyways!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	31118
    Looking down at your left foot, at the tiny bare foot next to you, it looks like your wee one is wearing a matching kiddie kilt.

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good eye

Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    Looking down at your left foot, at the tiny bare foot next to you, it looks like your wee one is wearing a matching kiddie kilt.

Larry
    Yep! Little matching kilts for my girls.

They don’t need to worry about what to wear with their kilts, though. They look cute in anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    SunriseEarth,

I've actually got 2 of the sleeveless version. The first I made myself, using cotton sheeting fabric from Wal-Mart. It is essentially a pillowcase with arm holes and a lace-up placket (no collar). That outfit also included my home-made cotton Tam 'O' Shanter, which was built around a terrycloth sweatband.

The second I got at a Red Faire when I was talking to the vendor who sold my my puffy-sleeve shirt (Jack's Shirts). I told him I wished I had a sleeveless version of his shirt, since it was really comfortable and stylish. He said, "Oh I've got those," and pulled some out of the back of the booth. So I bought it and now wear it in preference to my home-made version.

Either one would work well in Southern Cali temperatures. And they are great for showing off muscles or tattoos, if that's your thing, too. Me, I just like 'em because they are cool. I'm from Florida and the summers here in Beijing are just as hot and humid as back home.

Andrew
    Would love to see some pics, if you have any. Yeah, I may have to find one for myself. I'm definitely not crafty enough to make my own.

Tony

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123