X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liammaclean View Post
    Are you saying that the 5.11 is actually worse than the UT Kilt in this arena? I was thinking about picking up a 5.11 as my next kilt, but specifically because I thought it'd be better. My main issue with the UT Kilt was the under apron being difficult to manage when I was sitting on the ground cross legged or on a windy day, and (far less major) the pockets not being able to carry my kindle. But if I'm getting more crotch security with Brice's product I will just snag another, especially given that it's 15 dollars cheaper and comes in tartan.
    I wear a utility kilt most every day after work and on weekends. The 5.11 is not very modest or practical to sit in even with the modesty snap. I no longer wear the UT because of how much it wrinkles. I prefer to buy used Utilikilts to save $$$. Would love to have one of Steve's custom Kilts made perhaps for my 60th birthday.
    IF YOU SAY YOU CAN OR CAN'T DO SOMETHING YOU ARE CORRECT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepalmer View Post
    I no longer wear the UT because of how much it wrinkles.
    That was my major issue with my black UTs: they're advertised as cotton-poly, but the tag -- and tendency to wrinkle -- indicate that they're 100% cotton, and thus did I prefer the viscose-acetate tartan models (though again, advertised as polyviscose ). I retired the black ones and eventually wound up cannibalizing them for the straps to replace the leather ones on my Sport Kilt so I could put it in the dryer as well as the washer. Of course, now that I finally got around to purchasing some PV fabric, I'll be retiring the tartan UTs as well as my new ones are completed.
    Last edited by Dollander; 29th June 17 at 12:46 PM.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepalmer View Post
    I wear a utility kilt most every day after work and on weekends. The 5.11 is not very modest or practical to sit in even with the modesty snap. I no longer wear the UT because of how much it wrinkles. I prefer to buy used Utilikilts to save $$$. Would love to have one of Steve's custom Kilts made perhaps for my 60th birthday.
    Interesting. I wear the 5.11 fairly frequently, and in the company of my wife. If I were being immodest, she would raise cain with me. And i haven't noticed taking any additional effort to be modest. I wonder what is causing the differing results.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 5 5.11 kilts. 2 are slightly small and 3 that are slightly large. I wear them almost every day and work in them as a contractor.....never had a problem. Perhaps it is me not recognizing a problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derosa View Post
    I bought my first modern kilt from UT Kilts just about a week ago, the basic utlikilt that comes in a generic black tartan. Love the pockets, have to say the apron has not been a problem for me. Aprons probably cover about 2/5 of the way around and neither interfere with my legs or present a problem when sitting. Actually have more of a problem with one of my regular kilts where the apron is more like 55% of the circumference, seems to just stick to my leg and stays tight across the lap.
    The strategically placed snaps help with the privacy issue. Wearing a sporran helps also.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the older Utilikilts ( I haven't seen any switchbacks ), to end the inner apron from tucking in between the legs I use iron-on hemming tape to fuse the inner apron and the reinforcing cloth on the back side for the snaps together. This stiffens that area so that it doesn't curl as easily. For stubborn aprons, I add a big trimmed to fit twill or denim iron on patch over that same area.

I haven't had flashing issues sitting or in high winds ( 60 MPH gusts are not uncommon here ) with Utilikilts nor 5.11 TDKs ( lower snap snapped ). I have had partial Marilyns on the back sides of USA kilts PV Casuals in high winds when around structures that make turbulence. The sporran keeps all issues at bay at the aprons.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 29th June 17 at 07:50 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been more interested in Modern Kilts recently because of the convenience of pockets, but one thing has really be holding me back. The only narrow apron kilt I own currently is a standard 1 from UT Kilts. I love the way it looks and I hate the way the under apron is designed. For some weird reason it has a pleat right in the middle which makes it rub weirdly against my inner thigh. Moreover, the under apron only covers half of my leg, so there is a constant threat of exposing that which I don't want to be exposed. At first I figured this was just bad designed on the part of UT Kilt, but after poking around here (specifically http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...towaway-88606/) I found someone with the same problem.

My question I posit to you is this: Is the weird under apron a problem with all off-the-rack modern style kilts or just particular ones? Does anyone else have experience with this?
    I had a first-generation kilt from UT Kilts, had the same problem with it, but have not had that problem with all modern, utility kilts. Many of them do seem to suffer from this, to one degree or another, but not all.

Utilikilts, somewhat ironically, seem to have both caused, and solved this problem, in my observation and opinion. Their initial, narrow-aproned kilts did this, in my experience. I bought one of them in the early-'2000s, and had similar problems. A wrong movement, or a well-placed bit of wind, would blow the front open, exposing at least half of my lower-self (usually my right side). Their newest model kilts, on the other hand, add clasps to hook the left and right sides of the front together. I've have a few of the newest model ones, and have yet to have one of these blow open in the front.

A few side-notes to the above, regarding Utilikilts' latest models: they do add some extra folds of material to the front-center, underneath the (narrow) apron. I've found this extra material to help with sitting modestly, however, if you find your UT Kilt's middle-material to feel uncomfortable, you might want to take caution if getting a Utilikilt. I find it to be useful, as I can sit modestly with it with a tad bit less effort, but your mileage may vary.

Regarding my 1st-generation UT Kilt, I've found it to be practically unwearable. I bought it with hopes of having an extra, inexpensive kilt, that I could wear in situations I might've previously worn shorts or jeans, but the design, and overall build quality, were bad enough that I ended up not wearing all that often. The front would either fly open with just a mild breeze, or slide open, if I did something like sit a bit wide. I found it hard to sit in, walk around in, or do pretty much anything in that involved being out in the public, for even a short period of time. I tried 'fixing' it by pinning the front aprons together, but found that other parts of the kilt would usually slide a bit too far upwards, if I adopted a wide-legged stance. The pleats never seemed to spread like they should.

Regarding other models of kilts, I've found it to be a mixed bag. Some are better than others. Some have aprons that fly open, but pinning, or otherwise connecting the front to the back (adding a bit of velcro can help, here), works well enough.

In general, the worst utility kilt I've bought was probably the 1st-gen UT Kilt. The best one, has been a newer model Utilikilt.

For ANYTHING you get that is 'over the rack', I would *HIGHLY* recommend being able to try one on, beforehand! Walk around in it a bit. Try sitting down. Give it a bit of thought before getting it. Alternatively, consider getting something that is both custom fitted (making sure they get more than just a waist and length measurement!), and from a widely well-regarded source.

Best of luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 Caution!

Are you saying that the 5.11 is actually worse than the UT Kilt in this arena? I was thinking about picking up a 5.11 as my next kilt, but specifically because I thought it'd be better. My main issue with the UT Kilt was the under apron being difficult to manage when I was sitting on the ground cross legged or on a windy day, and (far less major) the pockets not being able to carry my kindle. But if I'm getting more crotch security with Brice's product I will just snag another, especially given that it's 15 dollars cheaper and comes in tartan.
    The 511 has issues with the front. Great for standing, but a real challenge for sitting. My Utilikilts fall well when sitting. I don't buy UT Kilts because the material wrinkles like crazy even the 50 50 blend. I wish 511 would perfect the apron and add a couple pleats and it would become a great utility kilt at a great price.
    IF YOU SAY YOU CAN OR CAN'T DO SOMETHING YOU ARE CORRECT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried on one of the narrow apron things once...then decided to learn to make my own kilts. Can't stand those narrow things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a UTKilt standard in black watch I bought this past May. One, it's a little short for me at 22" and when I sit down, it's hard to keep my but covered. Front is ok. The back really needs to be longer than the front and overall, it should be at least 24", for me 25" or a little more would be better. It does wrinkle, but I lay it flat after washing and last time I washed it I ironed it. That helped. It does pill a bit too. That said, it's good for bounce around and yard work for now and I've lost a bunch of weight and it's getting just about loose, so I will have to retire it soon. Thing is, what to get next? I also have a tartan kilt from Heritage of Scotland in Heritage of Scotland and I really like it for how much it didn't cost. I don't use it for when I am doing stuff around the house, but it's more comfortable than my UTK standard. SO, I may go back to heritage and just get a couple tartans in smaller size for now or get something adjustable. UTKilts has an adjustable waist utility kilt and Utilikilt and Stumptown have adjustables too. Damn Near Kilt'em has one that has a little adjustability. I like the look of the stumptown, but 23" isn't optimal. The owner told me they will be coming out with a kilt with a 25" drop early next year. That would work, but I would like something sooner. I think the utilikilts are well made, but to me they look sloppy and a lot of folks wear them low, which IMO makes it more so. I don't know...I guess I'll keep looking at the clearance items of several companies. You never know.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12