X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Games in Canada

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Games in Canada

As some of you will have already noticed from my recent signature change I have now been appointed Vice-President of Clan Cunningham International (in addition to being already a Clan Cunningham Armiger here in Scotland and Regional Director for the society). I will hold the post by virtue of a bye-election in which I was returned unopposed until the Clan's next tri-ennial gathering in summer 2019 which should take place here in Scotland. Being based in Scotland I was uneasy about accepting the post as clan societies are mostly for the diaspora. I will be expected to host a tent somewhere in North America between now and summer 2019. Some years ago, I had to go through a lot of hoops to be granted visitor visa waiver for USA for twelve months which enabled me to attend both the Ventura and Loon Mountain Games within an eleven month slot so I very much doubt I would ever visit the USA again, but Canada is open to me through the British Commonwealth and through my cousins who live there. The cost of medical insurance for travel outside Europe would become prohibitive in a few years time once I turn 70 so I am looking at one final trip to North America. I have travelled to Canada five times, four times to Vancouver and Vancouver Island, and once to Ontario, based in Toronto and visiting Niagara Falls and meeting x-markers at Hamilton. I am told by members of my clan society that Fergus Games are "awesome". The only Canadian games which I have ever attended is Victoria. Victoria in May with its temperate climate seems a lot more attractive than Fergus in August which could be roasting hot. I have cousins in Ontario and on the Island but I am much closer to those on the Island. Another factor would be which games would supply a gazebo and which games would require me to supply my own which would mean sending the Clan Society's own gazebo north from USA to Canada for the event? Whether there would be duties to pay on temporarily importing a gazebo to Canada from USA?. Would welcome input from our North American members before I take a final decision.
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 12th June 17 at 12:19 PM.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try the Maxville Highland Games
    They have clan buildings so no tent required.

They claim it as the largest of it's kind in north America for pipe bands.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Randy McIntosh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex
    It would be pleasure to have you come to Toronto again, As for the Fergus games the games committee supply the tents for the clans, or did at least some years ago. If you were thinking about it, yes it does get hot in Fergus in August and there is little shade though it almost always rains on that weekend at least once and there is a community center in the grounds which can help. Here is the contact page for the Fergus games.

https://fergusscottishfestival.com/contact/

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Victoria claims the longest continuous games in N. America. This year was the 154th annual Victoria Games. In Victoria they even held Games during both world wars.

And you could borrow one of my tents.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post: