X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    To be quite honest, no. I am a hiker/packpacker, and take my hiking boots pretty seriously in terms of comfort, load distribution, tread, etc. These jump boots seem well-made, but they lack the kind of soles that modern hiking boots offer. These are hard leather soles with a rubber texturized tread tacked on, and lack any sort of cushion. Plus, they just don't have any tread or grip on the bottom. If I absolutely *had* to hike in combat boots, I'd choose Vietnam-era jungle boots (in fact I have hiked in those, but it was pretty miserable compared to modern hiking boots). And I'd make sure I had a good set of inserts in them.

That's not to say I wouldn't do a brief day hike in jump boots on smooth, even trails, with no load on my back, as long as the boots were well broken-in. But for serious hiking or backpacking in rough country, I'd insist on real hiking boots. Or at least a more modern all-purpose boot with more comfortable soles and treads. My days of trying to look "cool" in the woods are long past.

Here are some photos of me hiking in Ariat roper-style boots, with canvas leggings for protection. This is about as far as I prefer to stray away from real hiking boots. To be quite honest, I don't know how those guys in WWII managed to traipse all over Europe wearing jump boots. Those were some tough fellas, for sure! I like the jump boots for casual wear whether I'm kilted or not, and while I think they'd certainly hold up just fine under hard trail use, I just know my feet and back would suffer.

I go on an annual backpacking trip where I hike about 8 hours per day with a 50 pound pack. I've seen the Corcoran boots with a more rugid sole on them, but I feel they probably still would not be very comfy.

I have trouble finding hiking boots because I wear a 9.5 2E. Apparently hiking boot companies don't think people with wide feet hike. I have yet to find a hiking boot that properly fits. I would love to find something that looks good with a kilt but is also comfortable to hike in, but I think that's asking too much.

Anyway.
    Nice photos. I really like your leggings. Where can I get some and can I get them in black?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekc5555 View Post
    haha, I'm in the same "small calves" boat as you. My father's side of the family are all built like chickens... muscular upper body, itty bitty legs.

I've also thought about Doc Martens, but I thought the Corcorans have a more classy look rather than a more punk rock look. I also think 10" boots would look better with kilt socks, imo. Do you know if Doc Martens come in a 10" boot. I may opt for those based on price.

The model that I wear, the 1919's, are a 10" boot. Throw a pair on insoles in them and you won't even have to break them in! I did a search on Amazon and bought mine for $90 brand new from an individual store, while they retail for about $160 from DM directly.

Being as I'm military and have worn various styles of combat boots, I can say they will go nicely for a comparable look. However, jump boots, while dashing while displayed on your feet, can cause your feet to be in agony after a few hours...

Sláinte!
    -Rob

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go on an annual backpacking trip where I hike about 8 hours per day with a 50 pound pack. I've seen the Corcoran boots with a more rugid sole on them, but I feel they probably still would not be very comfy.
    Yeah, Corcoran makes all kinds of boots, and I'm sure there are some models that would work better. They even have modern athletic-style police/SWAT boots that look comfortable but a tad unstylish for kilt wearing. As far as the tread goes, I'm sure any boot repair shop could replace the original treads with something more suited to trails that had better grip. But that seems like a lot of trouble and expense when there are better boots on the market that are specifically designed for hiking.

I have trouble finding hiking boots because I wear a 9.5 2E. Apparently hiking boot companies don't think people with wide feet hike. I have yet to find a hiking boot that properly fits. I would love to find something that looks good with a kilt but is also comfortable to hike in, but I think that's asking too much.
    I have the opposite problem. I'm a small guy with small feet. Most boot makers won't make men's sizes smaller than an 8, and I wear a 7 (or sometimes a 6-1/2). It aggravates the snot out of me that I can't find serious footwear in my size.

Anyway.
    Nice photos. I really like your leggings. Where can I get some and can I get them in black?
    These are WWII military surplus canvas leggings which I discussed in this thread. To my knowledge, they only came in khaki and green for US military service (Army or Marines, several patterns exist). There are some companies making reproductions nowadays, but I don't know what their colour selection is like. I have purchased all of mine from eBay and military surplus shops. You might be able to dye/stain an original pair darker, but I just don't know how well they would take or hold the dye. My guess is that it would come out poorly.

I know that Scottish military-pattern spats, which are usually white, have been reproduced in black. As I recall, black was the colour used some time around the Napoleonic wars (somebody correct me on that if I'm wrong on the time period). I haven't had much luck finding any, though. And of course, spats will be different than these leggings. Military spats cover more of the top of the foot and don't extend up as high on the leg. If you manage to find some black spats, though, please share your source!
    Last edited by Tobus; 15th June 17 at 11:24 AM.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jump boots were what I wore with my dress uniform and when breaking starch during my time in service, I don't know how anyone could ever think they are good for anything other than just keeping you from breaking your ankles during a jump. Treads are almost non existent.

That being said, oxford style ankle boots are what I wear with a kilt......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I have the opposite problem. I'm a small guy with small feet. Most boot makers won't make men's sizes smaller than an 8, and I wear a 7 (or sometimes a 6-1/2). It aggravates the snot out of me that I can't find serious footwear in my size.
    Have you tried Lowa boots. They're very well build and comfortable. They just tend to run on the smaller side. All my buddies wear the Lowa Renegades and swear by them. I just wish they were wider. Even the wides are too narrow for my feet.

I will definitely let you know if I find some black military spats. I've seen black 17th century leggings but not modern spats.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Derekc5555 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Jump boots were what I wore with my dress uniform and when breaking starch during my time in service, I don't know how anyone could ever think they are good for anything other than just keeping you from breaking your ankles during a jump. Treads are almost non existent.

That being said, oxford style ankle boots are what I wear with a kilt......
    I could try ankle boots with leggings. I guess I have very weird tastes. Haha

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried Lowa boots. They're very well build and comfortable. They just tend to run on the smaller side.
    Smallest size they make is 7.5. And of course, they are "out of stock" on their website. Which is usually the case for shoes my size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishRebel79 View Post
    The model that I wear, the 1919's, are a 10" boot. Throw a pair on insoles in them and you won't even have to break them in! I did a search on Amazon and bought mine for $90 brand new from an individual store, while they retail for about $160 from DM directly.

Being as I'm military and have worn various styles of combat boots, I can say they will go nicely for a comparable look. However, jump boots, while dashing while displayed on your feet, can cause your feet to be in agony after a few hours...

Sláinte!
    -Rob
    I can imagine. You ever do long distance hiking in DMs? I would think the soft soles wouldn't last to long, but I would bet they'd be comfortable.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can imagine. You ever do long distance hiking in DMs? I would think the soft soles wouldn't last to long, but I would bet they'd be comfortable.
    I have a pair of black cap-toe DM boots. These have a thick chunky black sole that's not as soft as the clear brownish type that they seem to use on most of their boots. I originally bought these boots thinking that they would look good with a kilt, but they're a little too thick and clunky for that. So I wear them with carpenter's pants. I will admit that they're very comfortable in terms of the soft leather upper. But the weight would be killer for hiking. I do think that these black soles tend to wear better than their regular soles.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone ever wear Dr. Martens 1914's with a kilt?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast