X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Docs.

I have worn Docs since the 60s, black Infantry and cherry red 10" with yellow laces. My last pair lasted 10yrs with regular wear, and I got about half of that(5yrs) when wearing them in the field ie- camping, hiking etc. I prefer the lower cut when wearing a kilt which allows me to wear puttees. I hope you find the right boot to meet your needs.
    Aye Yours.

VINCERE-VEL-MORI

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Laird O'the Cowcaddens For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    To be quite honest, I don't know how those guys in WWII managed to traipse all over Europe wearing jump boots. Those were some tough fellas, for sure!
    I assume when you're pumped full of adrenaline from constantly being shot at you don't give a damn what boots you have on, as long as you got 'em.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Derekc5555 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekc5555 View Post
    I can imagine. You ever do long distance hiking in DMs? I would think the soft soles wouldn't last to long, but I would bet they'd be comfortable.
    Never done any hiking in them, but I've put miles at a time on them in the concrete jungle and have never had sore feet.

Sláinte!
    -Rob

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in high school, I made the mistake of attending a Black Flag concert in low-top Vans. I spent much of my time trying not to lose my shoes as the waves of slam-dancing, stage-diving, and otherwise moving fans swept back and forth. The next day I went to Old Sarge Army Navy Surplus and bought a pair of steel-toe paratrooper boots (in black). My friends had the kind that zipped up the side, but I felt like these looked silly and inauthentic, so i bought the lace-ups.

I wore those things all the time and never had any trouble with them or my feet. I used them for lots of long walking, dancing, wandering in the woods, and of course for going to punk rock shows (never had any more problems with losing shoes or being stepped on). Now this may be because I was a teenager at the time, since I've certainly found I have more issues with my feet now that I'm pushing 50

To my point (there is one!), I was recently thinking about those old boots and did a Google search, which brought me to the very brown Corcorans you have posted about. (Sadly, it doesn't look like you can get both the lace-up and steel toe features in one jump boot these days.) I immediately thought 2 things: those boots are beautiful and they would look pretty boss with a kilt.

I often wear my brown leather Vasque hiking boots with my kilt for casual wear and I always get compliments. They look both rugged and relaxed, which works well with the kilt. I wear them with my usual kilt hose and garters, which could be red, green, tan, argyle, or some of my contrasting color "shooting socks." The boots go fine with them all. When i first started wearing the kilt i didn't have proper hose, so I would wear the hiking boots with long Smartwool boot socks, and those worked well, too.

All of this has been with my traditional-style tartan kilts. I don't own a Utilikilt, although I think they look cool. But I love the way tartan is both traditional and kind of loud and colorful at the same time. If I'm going to wear a kilt, i feel like I should really go for it, you know?

I think I may have to try out a pair of these jump boots when I'm back in the states this summer (there are NO sources for my size footwear here in Beijing).

I don't own a pair of Doc Martens, but I think they also look cool with a kilt.

Andrew

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a lot of teeth sucking and searching for boots I just bought these from ppgcountryclothing.co.uk as they are £50 cheaper than buying direct from Hoggs of Fife. If you do a search for Rannoch boots pictures you will see they age very well, unfortunately the smallest size is 7 uk, which I think is 8 American so not much use for the smaller foot.

image.jpeg

The military tend to do smaller sizes as they have to cater for ladies (no insult intended) but I couldn't say if they were narrower than a military mans boot.
    Last edited by Nomad; 28th October 17 at 12:48 PM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Romeos

image.jpg I started wearing Romeo's when I was commercial fishing, about 55 years ago.....they come in style, and can be quite "dressy", even "brogued", if that is a word, then they go out of style, and what are available are mostly for work boots. Sometimes they are quite expensive (Bloodstones from Australia) and sometimes less so ......but for me they are always comfortable, and very easy to put on and take off...... I have worn them with my kilt, but what I've noticed is, it's the kilt, then the waist coat and Jacket that people look at, then they look at my face and I get a smile and a nod, sometimes this can lead to a brief conversation, but no one has ever mentioned my shoes.......even if they have noticed them
    Last edited by Terry Searl; 29th October 17 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone finds a pair of nice brogued boots in US 15EEE, I would love to know. Jock once posted a picture of his fly fishing along a bern in a pair of brogues with a fold-over flap to guard against dirt in the laces. Beautiful brown leather, but alas, they only produce up to US 13.
    McVeigh Sept of Clan MacLean

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

golf shoes

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMc View Post
    If anyone finds a pair of nice brogued boots in US 15EEE, I would love to know. Jock once posted a picture of his fly fishing along a bern in a pair of brogues with a fold-over flap to guard against dirt in the laces. Beautiful brown leather, but alas, they only produce up to US 13.
    The shoes you are referring to reminded me of my first pair of golf shoes ..They were brown Brouges with what was called "kilties" laid over and covering the laces, made by Dexter, nothing like what is worn as golf shoes now though.......try looking in thrift shops they often have shoes that were once worn and in style a while ago......likely not in such a large size though......but ya' never know
    Last edited by Terry Searl; 29th October 17 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've got the scratch - I'm sure West Coast Shoe Company could make just about anything. I have a couple pair of custom 'highliners', EEE width and custom height. They are bloody proud though $$$
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a motorcycle and have a pair of these:
    Sidi_On_Road_Gore-Tex_Boots_detail.jpg

I'll have to see how it looks. I was thinking of donning the boots with my heritage of Scotland tartan kilt, painting my face blue for halloween at work and letting my hair down. Might be a sight. I'd probably pull off The Kergan better, but he was the bad guy.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to macmanjim For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast