X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekc5555 View Post
    I have trouble finding hiking boots because I wear a 9.5 2E. Apparently hiking boot companies don't think people with wide feet hike. I have yet to find a hiking boot that properly fits. I would love to find something that looks good with a kilt but is also comfortable to hike in, but I think that's asking too much.
    I also have a wide foot and have trouble with boots. Then I tried Keens. They have a wide base and wide rounded toe. Now I have two pair, one vented and cool, and one waterproof, and have hiked over 1000 miles in them with no problems. I also have 1000 miles in Chacos...while comfortable in a kilt, not the most traditional look.

The jump boots were made for, well, jumping (out of airplanes), not great hikers.

13 years infantry, jump qualified, 1 year artillery, not qualified.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macmanjim-Those boots look pretty tough. But if you're riding your motorcycle kilted, all, that's REALLY tough. You would have to watch out for burns in some sensitive places and might get more of a breeze than you had bargained for as you roll down the highway. However, I have always thought that leather motorcycle jackets look great with a kilt. They've got the high waist thing going just like an argyll. And black matches everything. The Schott Perfeecto jacket I wore in high school with the aforementioned combat boots would have gone well with a kilt, if I had owned one back then.

Andrew

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ibrew4u--It probably seems obvious to you and I that "jump boots" are for soldiers parachuting out of airplanes, but one web site I saw selling the boots actually had a ridiculous write-up explaining how these were wonderful combat boots so comfortable that you could use them for jumping and having fun.

I wish I was making that up, but some advertising copywriter actually got paid to compose that nonsense. I can laugh about it, but he or she might be just as ready to laugh at my kilt, so I guess it's "different strokes" for a' that.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    Macmanjim-Those boots look pretty tough. But if you're riding your motorcycle kilted, all, that's REALLY tough. You would have to watch out for burns in some sensitive places and might get more of a breeze than you had bargained for as you roll down the highway. However, I have always thought that leather motorcycle jackets look great with a kilt. They've got the high waist thing going just like an argyll. And black matches everything. The Schott Perfeecto jacket I wore in high school with the aforementioned combat boots would have gone well with a kilt, if I had owned one back then.

Andrew
    I ride a beemer with a boxer engine, so burns aren't a problem if I try it, which I might just because.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KMCMICHAEL View Post
    I wore boots and a uniform for 30 years. Now, yes I do go barefoot 99% of th time.Attachment 31110

It solves some medical issues.

I like the brown boots better.
    I'm in Florida. It gets very hot (naw...) here. I prefer bare feet. If I have to go with any sort of foot wear it's slip on black canvas shoes and taller black socks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too was not sure of suitable footwear, but after taking the attitude that I can wear whatever I wish, I settled on a black G.I. goretex laced combat boot with black hose.
    Mike D.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mppd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    The shoes you are referring to reminded me of my first pair of golf shoes ..They were brown Brouges with what was called "kilties" laid over and covering the laces, made by Dexter, nothing like what is worn as golf shoes now though.......try looking in thrift shops they often have shoes that were once worn and in style a while ago......likely not in such a large size though......but ya' never know
    Since you mentioned golf shoes, I was wondering if that is what The Prince of Wales is wearing here.
    38EB733D00000578-3813851-image-m-2_1475158367223.jpg
    Last edited by tokareva; 23rd January 18 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing up, we abandoned shoes the last day of school and complained bitterly about returning. Alas, these days my feet are too soft, and I learned the hard way fifty years ago that there's a lot of loose glass lying around in the city waiting for unsuspecting country boys. The Federal Reserve Bank, where I
    worked in accounting, had a nurse who was exasperated by my unwillingness to wear shoes in my off time. As a favor to her, I left the bank.

In 1984 I acquired a pair of Nam era jungle boots. Didn't get much use for the purchase reason, but I have used them to great advantage for a wide variety of hard use tasks. Wandering the woods at the farm, building houses, pouring concrete, roofing, yard work ...... They've held up amazingly well and are still available at about thirty bucks at the same surplus store I got mine. While I personally would not choose them for kilt wear, and especially not with black kilt hose, mine have never given my feet any trouble at all. Haven't done any hiking specifically, but have many a day put miles and miles on them.

Oh, and they have on occasion served well in the air, walking both steel and wood.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I frequently wear other types of dress shoes with the kilt. Wingtip boots are a frequent favorite, but really any kind of Oxford shoe or ankle boot with any amount of broguing looks fine by me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I considered those or the Cocoran Maurader, but am leaning more toward the Thursday Boot Company Captain. Both have pictures attached. I think either will look good, and at the end of the day, it's more about what you like and what's comfortable to you, but that's just my opinion (I don't even have a kilt yet...but ordering this week).

black_compressed__90132_1451818113_300_300.jpg 61Z0h2YLNUL__UX395_.jpg
    Never run or do jumping jacks while wearing a heavy sporran
    "500 years before Christ was born, a highlander stepped on the bloated carcass of a sheep and the bagpipes were born"
    Stabo (I shall stand)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast