X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished a box pleat clergy kilt.

Just finished making the first kilt I've ever completely hand sewn, the process took longer then I would have liked but still went faster then I expected. Overall it was a good experience though I think I still need a couple of small refinements to polish this one. The pleats are sewn to the stripe which is the same stripe as the center of the apron so I got that much right, currently I'm contemplating if I should add another strap to the right side and leaning towards doing so. The rest of the fabric was dropped off with Hazel Stewart who happens to have her shop just off my route to my doctorate classes so I hope to have a much more professional quality knife pleats done with the balance. Tomorrow I'll pair it up with a nice button up and boots as I head off to class which means I'll have gone kilted 4 of the 5 days this week.

IMG_20170615_223520_zpsggew9lh1.jpg
    IMG_20170615_223543_zpsvkdza3mr.jpg

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to derosa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the extra strap would enhance the look but more over I believe the kilt will feel better secured across you hips. I'd like to hear feedback on this if (or after) you sew the extra strap on. Good show my friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tarheel- you may be right, both my kilts from Keltoi only have the pair at the top and lack the second on the right side so it will be interesting.

I think I picked the best stripe, the black edges to each pleat breaks up both the lawn chair effect and keeps the purple from becoming overwhelming. There is a lot of black to the pattern so that when other stripes were picked the back became very dark.
    Although it is a 16oz it is a much smoother feel then my other 16oz and feels just like my 13oz; whether that's an effect of how often I wear the one or how well this is woven I don't know but it is really nice.

Since morning came I could get some better lighting

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to derosa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Splendid job, and a very nice color! I've only seen the blue variant before this; it's also quite nice, but the purple's striking.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, and I like that you'll have both box and knife in the same tartan. I have long been interested in the purple, but the wallet has
    not exhibited enough green. Have much fun and enjoyment in the wearing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like how you have arranged the pleat stripes. It seems the black stripe highlights the "flashiness" of the inner pleat. A very fetching look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theowolf- it does stand out that's for sure, wore it this sat to the church's strawberry festival and most of the vendors when I went around to meet them recognized immediately it wasn't the usual and I only see them once a year.

Tripleblessed- can't wait to see the knife myself, I first posted on this site about wanting one about 6 years ago so scrapping together the cash has been a struggle.

Tarheel- I discovered that the purple stood out in a very bright way if the black lines weren't there, almost became a completely different color; I experimented with the idea of a knife to the stripe to get the look. Was too much.