X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    I wear a Spartan with my utility kilt if I'm going to be out and about. I if I'm staying at home or while camping not leaving the ground I don't bother. A spooran is mainly used to hols my wallet and phone. Sorry to say but the pockets on my kilt are not as good as cargo pockets, which make up majority of my pants collection.

Also my wife won out. I wasn't allowed to wear my first kilt until I had a Spartan. She was worried it wouldn't look like a kilt and too Mich like a skirt without it. So I've been brainwashed into making sure I have a Spartan when I'm heading out of the house.
    I fear "spell-check" does not give credit to your message. I get and appreciate your thoughts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wear a sporran with my utility kilt. They (Utilikilt) specifically designed it with plenty of external pockets and a front closure/snap system that makes wearing a sporran not only unnecessary but undesirable. When I'm wearing a Utilikilt, it's usually for hiking, working outdoors, or other activities where I need the pockets but don't want a heavy sporran hanging in front of me. And I couldn't care less whether others might confuse it for a skirt. That sort of thing might apply more towards tartan kilts or traditionally shaped kilts, but nobody out there is going to see a Utilikilt and somehow think it's a ladies' skirt.

When I want a traditional kilt look, I'll wear a traditional kilt with sporran. But conflating the two just seems sort of odd to me. The only reason I would want to strap on a sporran with a Utilikilt is if I had so much to carry that it wouldn't fit in the numerous cargo pockets. But to be honest, if I had that much to carry, I'd probably just wear a backpack.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think many on this website fail to understand that there is a great deal of difference between a utility kilt and those of that style and the traditional Scottish tartan style kilt. Yes, both styles are kilts, but that is where any similarity starts and stops. Utility style kilts have no connection to Scotland and its kilt traditions whatsoever. Whilst I am no authority on the utility style kilt, I cannot think it matters one bit, with this style, whether a sporran is worn or not, its just down to personal preference.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I think many on this website fail to understand that there is a great deal of difference between a utility kilt and those of that style and the traditional Scottish tartan style kilt. Yes, both styles are kilts, but that is where any similarity starts and stops. Utility style kilts have no connection to Scotland and its kilt traditions whatsoever. Whilst I am no authority on the utility style kilt, I cannot think it matters one bit, with this style, whether a sporran is worn or not, its just down to personal preference.
    Jock,
    I appreciate that you are willing to call a utility kilt a kilt, some traditionalists, even on this forum, are not. And I would agree that the utility style kilt is no longer the Scottish National Garment. But to say it has no connection is I believe a bit of a stretch. The Scottish Kilt is one of the antecedents of the utility kilt, one of the influences that led to its creation, if you will.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    Jock,
    I appreciate that you are willing to call a utility kilt a kilt, some traditionalists, even on this forum, are not. And I would agree that the utility style kilt is no longer the Scottish National Garment. But to say it has no connection is I believe a bit of a stretch. The Scottish Kilt is one of the antecedents of the utility kilt, one of the influences that led to its creation, if you will.
    Sorry Geoff, I cannot see the connection between the Scottish kilt and its traditions and the utility kilt and those of that style at all.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I fear "spell-check" does not give credit to your message. I get and appreciate your thoughts.
    The curse of posting on a phone. I rarely do and this just proves why I hate doing it. A full size keyboard on a computer is the superior option.

I've made the necessarily changes so my original post is more intelligible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a SWK "nightstalker" nylon sporran with my 5.11 TDK's. It's kind of redundant given all of the pockets but I like to at least make a nod to the tradition and frankly I prefer the look.

Just my $.02 worth. Your mileage may vary.
    Mike Nugent
    Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it is a simple equation: Cargo Pockets=No Sporran; Plain kilt (even with hidden slash pockets)=Sporran. It just seems bulky and redundant to have both.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    I wear a SWK "nightstalker" nylon sporran with my 5.11 TDK's. It's kind of redundant given all of the pockets but I like to at least make a nod to the tradition and frankly I prefer the look.
    I agree the nylon "ammo pouch" looking bags go great with utility kilts. It is a definite nod to a traditional look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear the utility kilt casually all the time and I think the sporran would just add to the confusion some folks have understanding what I am wearing anyway.
    IF YOU SAY YOU CAN OR CAN'T DO SOMETHING YOU ARE CORRECT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast