X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you wear a sporrran with your utility kilt?

I have never used a sporran with a kilt. I don't think it's necessary considering all the pockets on utility kilts. Just wondering if that is the common practice.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have gone with and without. depends on the mood really.
    i am currently working on my steampunk outfit for dragoncon and have been going back and forth on this exact question.

but i think it is safe to say that no sporran is needed or required with the utility kilt. even on their website or booths at shows- not a sporran in sight.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sporran with a utility kilt is a circumstantial decision. If I am going to be away from my supply source, (a long hike for example) I would carry snacks, water and some needed supplies in the kilt pockets and reserve the sporran for keys, wallet, glasses, etc. More items than that would require a backpack.

Otherwise, the utility kilt is designed to offer the best comfort and function without a sporran.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do, if you don't count that I removed the pockets. I personally don't like the look of a sporran and cargo pockets together, though I certainly don't judge anyone who makes that choice; perhaps some can pull it off, I just don't think I'm one of them. I did initially attach D-rings to one set of pockets so I could wear them with sporran hangers when I was worried my sporran might get in the way (e.g. at work). But the more I got used to a sporran, the more I found that it was the pockets that were constantly in my way...and now I couldn't even tell you where they are other than just somewhere in my apartment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocketsvssporran.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	31115
    Last edited by Dollander; 17th June 17 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of utilities kilts, however I must admit that I don't wear them often but I usually wear a tactical nylon sporran formally sold by Stillwater Kilts, one of our Xmark's advertisers. To me a kilt without a sporran looks like a skirt. Jmho
    Cheers all!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually wear a cloth sporran (sold by Amerikilt) with my utility style kilts. Normally in a contrasting color to the color of the kilt. I agree with the comment above, that a kilt, especially a solid color one, without a sporran, looks like a skirt. More importantly, so does my wife!
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Somewhere in the flat, dusty Texas Panhandle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always! I think a sporran is a distinguishing trait between kilts and skirts. Regardless of pocket space, a sporran is what sets kilts apart.
    I always wear one with mine. Here's a picture from a performance I did several years ago. Even on stage I still wore my hose and flashes. (The jump boots were less than comfortable, though,) Given that this particular sporran was theatrical enough for what I needed. For daily wear, I use a faux leather daywear sporran from J. Higgins.
    ~Live Long and Piobaireachd~
    Jordan "Grip" Langehennig

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to PiperOfThePlains For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonP View Post
    I have never used a sporran with a kilt. I don't think it's necessary considering all the pockets on utility kilts. Just wondering if that is the common practice.
    I have both a Utilikilt and a Great kilt I just got. As I live in the 21st cen. like everyone else, more often as not, I have things as must be carried; phone, keys, cigars etc.
    The pockets that a U kilt comes w I find less than adequate for this and the Great Kilt... well, I CAN fold pockets into it I suspect a similar result. Not only sporan, but additional belt pouches as well