X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid color fabric

So I got lovely news last night. I've been cleared by my supervisors to work kilted. BUT, my work kilts must be of a solid colored fabric in either grey or navy blue. Having done some sewing in the past, I think I can pull off a simple knife-pleated 5-6 yard piece without much trouble, but I need some suggestions on fabric. You folks have any ideas?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I personally have yet to try it, others have suggested cotton-poly twill from this site: http://www.sellfabric.com/store/c/21...-7-7-5-oz.aspx (the dark blues and greys are at the bottom).

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a kilt in Marton Mills grey mix. Don't know what you are looking for, but the grey mix is 16 ounce wool.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marton Mills 15 oz. CHE 160 Midnight/Ocean navy Cheviot tweed is also a really nice fabric. It's herringbone weave, but dark enough that the pattern doesn't really show like most herringbones. You would need to get it from somebody (kilt maker, retailer, etc.) who deals with Marton Mills, but it is gorgeous fabric.

http://martonmills.com/product/midnight-ocean/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the Marton Mills stuff looks great, it's a bit more than I'm looking for. I do like the poly/cotton twills. Any thoughts on this stuff?
    https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/ch...ll-fabric-.htm

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To give you and idea -- The fabric used in "Dockers" brand pants is 13oz if measured as a linear yard 60" wide. The fabrics on most of the on-line sites is about half the weight.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option if you wish to be kilted at work faster..... 5.11 tactical makes a grey. I wear 5.11 to work frequently. .....i cant hurt them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go for the 5.11 option or a UTKilt, but they're just a touch too "tactical" for work. I work as a registrar in an emergency room. I have to maintain a somewhat professional look. I am giving a Stillwater economy in solid black some thought, as I think I can get away with black as well. Currently wearing button up uniform shirts and grey slacks. I do prefer light weight, as I'm on my feet running around all the time, but I'm not sure if those poly/cotton blends would be too light, nor do I know how well they would hold pleats. I have a SportKilt currently, and while the look of it with it's sparse and shallow pleats drives me a little nuts, I do think the fabric weight would be perfect for work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended up going for a Stillwater economy in solid black for now. Love it. I still plan on sewing one or two up though. Probably both in grey. Anybody know where to get fabric similar to the stuff Stillwater is using?

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Catch22Kid For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22Kid View Post
    I would go for the 5.11 option or a UTKilt, but they're just a touch too "tactical" for work. I work as a registrar in an emergency room. I have to maintain a somewhat professional look.
    I am an anaesthetist but I was once an emergency registrar befor I saw the light and switched to anaesthesia. That said, if you feel a utility kilt is too "tactical" (or more like a paramedic than a doctor), first of all I might dispute that as, depending on where you work, the cargo pockets on a 5.11 style kilt would be ideal for trauma shears, stethoscope (don't wear it around your neck - it makes it too easy for violent people to head-butt you) and the like, then you still need to worry about occupational exposure to body fluids in the ED. So I would go for polyviscose - easily washed, holds a pleat, proper woven material. Martin Mills makes kilting quality polyviscose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast