X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry at Stillwater is right up front about his kilts being made in Pakistan from fabric woven in Pakistan of Acrylic and Wool/Acrylic blends.

However these fabric are not traditional kilt fabrics and would only be available from a supplier in Pakistan.

For solid colored fabric similar to the Polyester/Cotton blend used in "Dockers' type trousers please take a look at Carr Textiles out of Fenton, MO.

For solid colored, pure kilt wool and the only kilt quality synthetic fabrics please contact Marton Mills in Otley, UK.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a good Dockers type material at the local fabric shop. It took multiple visits as the place is huge and the stock circulates quite a bit; including the bolts that get reduced in price. Having the cloth in my hands was preferred as I don't know enough about material to select from online descriptions.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22Kid View Post
    Ended up going for a Stillwater economy in solid black for now. Love it. I still plan on sewing one or two up though. Probably both in grey. Anybody know where to get fabric similar to the stuff Stillwater is using?
    I also have a plain black woolen twill kilt that I bought to wear with the equally plain/unadorned black woolen twill day wear kilt jacket and black woolen twill collared waistcoat that I already had--with the idea of creating a three-piece kilted "suit" on the cheap. I've only worn the outfit once (ironically for a festive rather than somber occasion) with one of my "signature" banker's collar shirts and a club stripe tie, and was fairly surprised at the many compliments I received, precisely because my kilt was NOT in a tartan pattern. So perhaps a kilt in a solid, neutral "menswear" colour really is an essential...
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have been getting a lot of compliments on the non-tartan Stillwater I've been wearing to work. I've been pairing it up with black socks, a very basic black sporran, and tartan flashes and people seem to like the look.

On material, I'd really love to have a nice wool kilt, I can't justify spending the money on a work garment. PV may be an option. I don't necessarily care an incredible amount about how traditional the fabric is for a work kilt as long as it looks decent enough and doesn't fall apart. I'll have a look at the Marton Mills PV line though. If the cost isn't too bad I may go that route. For now the solid black Stillwater is doing great for what I bought it for, but I'd definitely like to add a grey option to the lineup.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I too have been getting a lot of compliments on the non-tartan Stillwater I've been wearing to work. I've been pairing it up with black socks, a very basic black sporran, and tartan flashes and people seem to like the look.

On material, I'd really love to have a nice wool kilt, I can't justify spending the money on a work garment. PV may be an option. I don't necessarily care an incredible amount about how traditional the fabric is for a work kilt as long as it looks decent enough and doesn't fall apart. I'll have a look at the Marton Mills PV line though. If the cost isn't too bad I may go that route. For now the solid black Stillwater is doing great for what I bought it for, but I'd definitely like to add a grey option to the lineup.
    A solid dark grey kilt in twill or even flannel with solid heather grey kilt hose would definitely be another versatile option as a less severe alternative to black, especially for business/office wear; it would look good with a grey Araca Argyle jacket for another version of the "monochromatic" look (although, admittedly, so would a Hamilton Grey) and would be especially flattering to a wearer with grey or "salt and pepper" hair.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed! I need to invest in some hose. Or learn how to knit. All I've got at the moment is some of the black ones Stillwater sells. They're comfy, and fine for work I suppose, but they're most definitely not awe inspiring. I've been thinking about trying to knit some tubes with turnover cuffs to wear with a dress boot of some sort. Something with a higher top. Gets rid of the complicated foot section of knitting hose, but keeps the looks.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Indeed! I need to invest in some hose. Or learn how to knit. All I've got at the moment is some of the black ones Stillwater sells. They're comfy, and fine for work I suppose, but they're most definitely not awe inspiring. I've been thinking about trying to knit some tubes with turnover cuffs to wear with a dress boot of some sort. Something with a higher top. Gets rid of the complicated foot section of knitting hose, but keeps the looks.
    I recommend something from House Of Cheviot, including one of my favorites, their Black Lion Kilt Hose, or perhaps their National Scot Argyle Top Kilt Hose or Diced Hose. Any of these would add some patterned variety--but not too much--to a solid colour workplace kilt in the same way a colourful, distinctively patterned necktie offsets a dark, somber business suit. House Of Cheviot products are not exactly cheap, but as other X Markers will attest, they are of very high quality and an attractive alternative to bespoke.
    Last edited by DyerStraits; 8th July 17 at 06:25 PM.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been eyeballing their hose for quite some time and they are indeed very nice looking, though certainly not cheap. I may have to pick up a pair or three at some point. I've found a few knitting patterns that end up looking lovely, but seem a bit complex, but a simple ribbed sock doesn't look too terribly difficult to complete. I may try a pair of legwarmers to wear with boots and see if I can't progress into more complex socks and eventually more interesting kilt hose, but I think the option you've pointed out probably offers the most bang for buck for commercially available hose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12