X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile What tartan is this please?

Hi all,

I'd love some help identifying a tartan please.

I've tried using various tartan recognition methods on websites such as https://www.houseoftartan.co.uk/house/tfinder.htm and https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/search, but haven't had any luck. I'm wondering if this particular tartan doesn't belong to any clan and instead is a "fashion tartan".

Please help!

Also, does anyone know if a tartan recognition app has been created yet? That would be super helpful.

Thank you,
    Helen

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No pic showing.

Did you try to upload from your computer or is the photo on an on-line hosting site?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP failed to link the attached image properly. Here it is:

My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I'm pretty sure I have seen this tartan before yet I am not finding any information about it. I would guess a fashion tartan yet a tartan historian on here could have better resources than I do. I am wondering if this is a tartan that I have seen on a bolt of fabric at a craft/fabric store along side other, mostly unnamed, tartans.

From what I have found http://www.tartansauthority.com and https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk have some of the best resources for identifying a tartan.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenFergusson View Post
    Also, does anyone know if a tartan recognition app has been created yet? That would be super helpful.
    The tartan ferret is the closest to a recognition app that I'm aware of. http://www.tartansauthority.com/tartan-ferret

It's a bit awkward to use when you're trying to input colour combinations, and I never seem to get satisfactory results from it. But perhaps I'm just not using it correctly.

I couldn't find your tartan on there either. It may very well just be a fashion tartan or imitation tartan. It is very, very similar to the Black Stewart tartan, without any blues or greens. Beyond that, I haven't the foggiest.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trouble with any recognition app, assuming that there was such a thing, is that it would be susceptible to user error. Take this particular example; it's obviously a variation on Royal Stewart and so yes it's a fashion sett but whether early 19th century or late 20th century will depend on identification of the primary pivot colour. Is it black, dark blue or dark green? The image is not of a sufficiently high quality to tell and so one has to try all three scenarios and also consider whether if blue or green, whether there is also black in the sett per the Royal Stewart.

Neither all black or all green turn up anything in the STA master database (not a public access resource) but if it’s blue with black then this appears to be Prince Albert, one of Wilsons setts.
    Last edited by figheadair; 17th May 18 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Typo

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Is it black, darn blue or dark green?

I am once again gob-smacked. I am constantly amazed by the width and breadth of the knowledge of our members. In particular,
    the arcane, esoteric, and hard-to-ferret-out info revealed by our favorite tartan expert. As a pretty fair lighting tech, I've worked
    with color all my life, but at 71 I am just now encountering darn blue. I'll admit I surmised the possibility, and occasionally the need
    for such a color, and am elated to find I was right all along.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    I am once again gob-smacked. I am constantly amazed by the width and breadth of the knowledge of our members. In particular,
    the arcane, esoteric, and hard-to-ferret-out info revealed by our favorite tartan expert. As a pretty fair lighting tech, I've worked
    with color all my life, but at 71 I am just now encountering darn blue. I'll admit I surmised the possibility, and occasionally the need
    for such a color, and am elated to find I was right all along.
    You will of course have recognised the typo (now corrected), the result of typing too early in the morning without the benefit of a caffine injection.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post: