X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Join Date
    1st February 14
    Location
    Tall Grass Prarie, Kansas
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be a difficult search, but I recall some time ago one of the rable posted pics of his Jacobite era fashion. It was all made by a kilt maker in France kown as Lady something or other, but I'm sure it wasn't Lady Sonya. If you search enough you might find the pics.

    He wore a sleeved waistcoat and great kilt with bag hose. It looked like a nice ensemble. Perhaps, if you can find the post there will be inspiration there.
    Benning School for Boys
    97th Company
    OC 5-68

  2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:


  3. #12
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,682
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
    It will be a difficult search, but I recall some time ago one of the rable posted pics of his Jacobite era fashion. It was all made by a kilt maker in France kown as Lady something or other, but I'm sure it wasn't Lady Sonya. If you search enough you might find the pics.

    He wore a sleeved waistcoat and great kilt with bag hose. It looked like a nice ensemble. Perhaps, if you can find the post there will be inspiration there.
    Lady Chrystel Kilts

  4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:


  5. #13
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    7,945
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were playing harp I would wear trews.

    Kilts really weren't designed for sitting.

    I'm in that situation regularly, in that I play the uilleann pipes in addition to the Highland pipes.

    I hate having to play uilleann pipes in kilts, but I have to when either I need to switch between Highland and uilleann pipes at the same gig, or it's an uilleann gig where the client insists on kilts.

    Think about it: you're playing at a wedding or funeral service at a church, and they want you to sit up high so everybody can see you...



    Now think if I were wearing the kilt! Not good.

    Here's an 18th century seated musician in trews. I'd go with this.



    This guy is doing OK for the moment... but why expose yourself to a potential problem?

    Last edited by OC Richard; 9th July 17 at 08:15 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:


  7. #14
    Join Date
    13th January 14
    Location
    Wisconsin, US
    Posts
    815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    If I were playing harp I would wear trews.

    Kilts really weren't designed for sitting.
    I tend to agree very much with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

    Here's an 18th century seated musician in trews. I'd go with this.



    To be picky, I have to say that Gow is actually wearing breeks and tartan hose in the above image. He is shown wearing this combination elsewhere as well. It is quite noticeable when you see that the breeks/breeches are cut on the straight and the hose are on the bias. Historically speaking, this is an awesome combination. A chap I know that plays fiddle/violin has recently made a set like this from some tartan he got from Peter MacDonald and they look sharp as heck.

    For a set of trews worn like this a bit later in the period...



    Last summer I made a pair of trews and love them... http://frenchinwisconsin.com/2016/08...century-trews/
    (edited to note that if OCRichard follows the link, he will be happy to see no catalin on the pipes I am playing. Unfortunately, they were a borrowed set. Some day in the future, I will have a set appropriate to 1790s).
    Last edited by IsaacW; 9th July 17 at 08:31 AM.
    Vestis virum reddit

  8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:


  9. #15
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    7,945
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacW View Post
    Gow is actually wearing breeks and tartan hose in the above image. He is shown wearing this combination elsewhere as well. It is quite noticeable when you see that the breeks/breeches are cut on the straight and the hose are on the bias. Historically speaking, this is an awesome combination. A chap I know that plays fiddle/violin has recently made a set like this from some tartan he got from Peter MacDonald and they look sharp as heck.
    Yes of course you are correct. I'd love to see a photo of this fiddler wearing that combination!
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  10. #16
    Join Date
    13th January 14
    Location
    Wisconsin, US
    Posts
    815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I'd love to see a photo of this fiddler wearing that combination!
    Ask and you shall receive...



    Vestis virum reddit

  11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:


  12. #17
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,682
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=IsaacW;1343219]Ask and you shall receive...



    Fantastic. This is the reconstruction of MacDonald of Kingsburgh I did but have never seen it made up. As I understand it, the fiddler is Yr of Kingsburgh.

  13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:


  14. #18
    Join Date
    13th January 14
    Location
    Wisconsin, US
    Posts
    815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Fantastic. This is the reconstruction of MacDonald of Kingsburgh I did but have never seen it made up. As I understand it, the fiddler is Yr of Kingsburgh.
    The lad's name is Timothy MacDonald. I do not really know him well other than as an acquaintance via the internet and mutual reenacting friends.
    Vestis virum reddit

  15. #19
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    7,945
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! A wonderful outfit.

    Did such a fiddle and bow exist in the 18th century?

    I can't remember, it can be Googled I'm sure, when the long bow came in, and when all the old violins had their fingerboards re-done.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:


  17. #20
    Join Date
    13th January 14
    Location
    Wisconsin, US
    Posts
    815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Thanks! A wonderful outfit.

    Did such a fiddle and bow exist in the 18th century?

    I can't remember, it can be Googled I'm sure, when the long bow came in, and when all the old violins had their fingerboards re-done.

    That bow came in some time in the last half of the century. The earlier Baroque bow was quite different though. I do not recall the dates as I am not a fiddle player, but I do like music and am a history nerd. Here is a nice period image highlighting the change...

    Vestis virum reddit

  18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0