X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Arnot, you might search out 'The House of Arnot and Some of its Branches' by Lieut-Col James Arnot, MD published 1918 or Burke's 'Extinct Baronetcies' as aids to finding the crescent origin as used by the family of Arnot. The crescent is often a mark of cadency -- the second son -- but I think in this case it was adopted by someone who actually made it all the way to the Holy Land and back -- and lived to be proud of the fact.
    Did a Google search and found a reference to Sir John Arnot of Fernie who fell in the last Crusade. With at least one Arnot having gone to the Holy Land, this theory is a possibility.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the pitfalls for North American researchers is the temptation to attribute things that are factual in their own families to people of the past and then off they go wandering in that direction. I suppose this tendency is due to a cultural familiarity with only the recent past. Colour of eyes or hair, does pass on from generation to generation, of course, but mannerisms don't carry much beyond the immediate family member from whom they are learned.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 4th July 17 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the pitfalls for North American researchers is the temptation to attribute thanks that are factual in your own family to people of the past and then off they go wandering in that direction. I suppose this tendency is due to a cultural familiarity with only the recent past. Colour of eyes or hair, does pass on from generation to generation, of course, but mannerisms don't carry much beyond the immediate family member from whom they are learned.
    Is this regarding post #8 and the "old Arnots"?

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to go back and re-read #8. Yes, I suppose it is, but it's just something I've noticed in my years on XMarks: a tendency for North Americans to explain a non-genetic habit or preference as genetic. I think it comes from a short cultural memory and an intense desire to make a connection with an older culture. Not important to your question, though. Good luck in your on-going research.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnot View Post
    I am trying to find out the origin of the crest used in my Arnot clansman's badge. I am curious as to why "a crescent or" was chosen and what it might represent. Is there a book out there that might have this information or somewhere else I could look? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    The Heraldry Society of Scotland may be able to assist:

http://www.heraldry-scotland.co.uk/index.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    The Heraldry Society of Scotland may be able to assist:

http://www.heraldry-scotland.co.uk/index.html
    Thanks for the link. I'll have a look.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to go back and re-read #8. Yes, I suppose it is, but it's just something I've noticed in my years on XMarks: a tendency for North Americans to explain a non-genetic habit or preference as genetic. I think it comes from a short cultural memory and an intense desire to make a connection with an older culture. Not important to your question, though. Good luck in your on-going research.
    I believe that in many cases your observation is spot on. In this case, I didn't mean anything genetic was involved. I was only saying that maybe they did something in the same way as my family would. That's all. I do thank you for your input, though. It's got me thinking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12