X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else for you to consider Ashley for the future. If one is wearing plus 4's or 6's or 8's, for country pursuits the colour of the hose top and ties are not a consideration as they won't be seen. I wonder if the, presumably, extra effort in weaving, storage and adminitration for this style of hose is worth the extra effort and cost? Might it be a thought not to expand into that style of hose too much more?

Yes, I can see that there is a market for that style of hose for the kilt wearer and those in the shooting world who wear those modern and rather ungenerously cut breeks where modern style is more important than comfort and function and where the hose tops can be seen to advantage and the garter ties are flapping uselessly in the wind, or catching in the heather, barbed wire, or brambles!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite patterned-top hose are these, with this chequered pattern. I don't remember what firm I bought them from, or who might have made them. They only came in olive.

If you don't already, I would like to be able to buy hose with tops like this in a variety of colours.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley D View Post
    Thank you for your feedback Bill. We make Lewis kilt socks in both bison and claret, perhaps we should offer those colours in a wider range of styles.
    I quite like the Lewis socks. I have these colours as it happens. I like the Rannoch socks as well.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive a phool's question, but what is the difference between the Lewis and Rannoch lines? Also, I've been eyeballing the Shetland in Highfell, but I can't really tell the color. I want to say it's a warm grey?

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to scratchy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    My favourite patterned-top hose are these, with this chequered pattern. I don't remember what firm I bought them from, or who might have made them. They only came in olive.

If you don't already, I would like to be able to buy hose with tops like this in a variety of colours.

Those are Bowmore hose and they come in 3 colours but the pattern has change over the years. They came in the green, claret and mustard.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Those are Bowmore hose and they come in 3 colours but the pattern has change over the years. They came in the green, claret and mustard.
    Thanks! I looked over the Cheviot site and didn't see them. A pair in claret would be nice.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what they look like now

http://www.scottishkilthose.com/bowmore.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several pairs of black , grey or charcoal but lately I find I like the deep rich colours, like your Lewis Claret or Rannoch Ancient Blue (which I'm going to order right after this) A colour I've been looking for is a deep rich rust colour

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to BertMcG For This Useful Post:

Ashley D is offline Representative www.houseofcheviot.com
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Good Morning Richard,

These socks were made a few years ago but I think we have some in our warehouse - if you were keen to purchase a pair, let me know what colour and size and I'll have a look for you.

Thanks,
    Ashley
    House of Cheviot
    Manufacturers of Luxury Kilt Hose and Shooting Socks. Based in Hawick, Scotland - the Heart of Scottish Knitwear & Textiles.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ashley D For This Useful Post:

Ashley D is offline Representative www.houseofcheviot.com
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchy View Post
    Forgive a phool's question, but what is the difference between the Lewis and Rannoch lines? Also, I've been eyeballing the Shetland in Highfell, but I can't really tell the color. I want to say it's a warm grey?
    Good Morning,

The Highfell socks are a rich brown. It's a 3 colour marl so there's brown, bison and dark green within the highfell colour. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Ashley
    House of Cheviot
    Manufacturers of Luxury Kilt Hose and Shooting Socks. Based in Hawick, Scotland - the Heart of Scottish Knitwear & Textiles.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast