X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Ashley D is offline Representative www.houseofcheviot.com
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    HOOORRRAAYYY! My mustard yellow stockings arrived. They were a bit longer in coming than I thought they would be but it seems the Canadian customs isn't as quick as they could be ........What I like most is, that they are exactly the colour they are in the House of Cheviot photos and I think they look smashing with my Canadian Maple Leaf tartan.......the photo of the stockings attached but not the one of the stockings and my Maple Leaf tartan kilt.......... I still can't figure out why that is the way posting photos on this site goes for me ......ya' win some and sometimes ya' don't
    SO GLAD YOU LIKE THEM TERRY! Send us a picture of you wearing your socks with the Maple Leaf kilt.
    House of Cheviot
    Manufacturers of Luxury Kilt Hose and Shooting Socks. Based in Hawick, Scotland - the Heart of Scottish Knitwear & Textiles.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ashley D For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back Ashley...

Hi Ashley,

Glad to see you back on the forum! Did you find any cotton socks tucked away back in the warehouse?

I know that you are talking with dozens of folks each day, so below is a copy of our posts on this thread.

Thank you,

Larry Schwartz

Ashley,

A bit off topic, but do you carry, or know where one could find, kilt hose made of cotton for the hotter months of the year instead of wool or synthetics?

Larry

Hi Larry,

We have some cotton socks in our warehouse. What colour and size are you looking for? I could send you a picture.

Thanks,
    Ashley

Ashley,

I wear a US size 10.5 shoe, so whatever size that would be. As for colors...green, blue, black, white, brown, gray will work well. Red and yellow might be good too. Just let me know what you have and I will pick some. I am glad to hear that you do have some cotton socks in stock. I didn't see any on the website.

Thank you,

Larry

The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley D View Post
    SO GLAD YOU LIKE THEM TERRY! Send us a picture of you wearing your socks with the Maple Leaf kilt.
    Hi Ashley, I will send the photo to www.houseofcheviot.com For some reason I am mostly unable to post photos on this site......the odd one gets through but not one of the ones of the mustard yellow hose and the Canadian Maple Leaf tartan........please feel free to use the photo if you want to

I want to say Thank-you for such a great product. It is my third pair of Kilt Hose from House of Cheviot. The colour of the Rannoch Mustard yellow hose was EXACTLY as your photo depicted and I couldn't have been more pleased ......Thanx again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up a pair of "Harris" New Mustard while I'm on vacation in Falkirk, looking forward to seeing how they look with my Hamilton modern green kilt.
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Hello Ashley,

I really haven't done extensive searching but I didn't see a bright yellow. I'm not sure if the mustard color is what I want but seems the closest available. So that is my 2018 suggestion. Honestly I don't have any proper hose yet however everything looks great. I don't have any experience with patterns or styles but I hope to one day!
    Ashley I did find the color Sunray in a cashmere shooting sock and a Lemon colored garter tie - what I am hoping for is a pair of patterned kilt hose in that color range

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try to post a photo again

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley D View Post
    I tried using a smaller photo file size and it failed again...... I tried sending a photo to ashley@ house of cheviot and that failed as well......sorry

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I am too late to this party to be of any help. I also don't know how long the discount code is good for. But here are my 2 cents:

1. I love the idea of marled colors. I really like the "tweedy" blend of colors in the Shetland line and would like to see more of that kind of effect. It just works really well with the kilt and looks quite sophisticated.

2. Most of the population of the USA has moved to the "Sun Belt," which stretches across the southern part of the country from California through Arizona and Texas, along the Gulf Coast states, into the Old South of Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, and finally down to Florida. All of these places are much hotter and sunnier than Scotland, yet there are many people of Scottish descent and people who are sartorially adventurous in these areas. So a line of cool cotton kilt hose with an authentic look would have a year-round market in the southern USA and would be seasonably popular in many other climates. Perhaps House of Cheviot should look into offering at least the basic colors (red, green white, blue).

3. I don't know if this is just my hang-up, but I'm guessing some other potential customers may share this concern. All of the advertising write ups about the HOC hose are very cagey about their fibre content. The most detailed descriptions say "80% wool-acrylic blend" which tells the reader very little. It could mean that 79% of the sock is wool or that it is 79% acrylic, or just about any combination between. When I'm spending $30-150 for a pair of socks, I really want to know what it's made of. And the more wool, the better I will feel about the expense.

I know the ad copy says that acrylic was added for durability, but I also know that the rabble takes a very dim view of acrylic kilts. I also know that I have a couple of 100% wool "shooting socks" from another vendor that I have worn regularly with my kilt for several years and they show no signs of wear. So wool doesn't seem very fragile, especially in the kind of thick weave we associate with kilt hose.

And now when I look at the House of Cheviot site, it describes these as "Merino Wool Kilt Socks," which leads me as a consumer to expect that the socks are pretty close to 100% merino wool, with maybe a couple of percent spandex for elasticity or something.

So as a customer, I would really love more clarity about what's in the socks. And I imagine a few other potential customers out there might find it easier to pull the trigger on a purchase from HOC if this info was easier to access.

I hope this is helpful. It's clear from all the raves here on XMarks that HOC has a fine product that has pleased the serious kilt-wearing public. I would just love to see them make it easier to persuade the kilt curious and newbies who have yet to join the rabble, since that would expand the market for all.

Andrew

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as I happen to be looking for some new kilt hose, this thread pops up again when I had forgotten all about it, but with Christmas coming up, what more appropriate time. As a result, I have sent a selection to my wife to choose from as she is the one who has to look at them! It does puzzle me a little as to the absence of any blue lovat , as I find that those colours provide a high degree of flexibility if one has a selection of kilts in different tartans. I realise that more than one kilt is not normally the case in Scotland, but one doesn't have to be on this site for long to realise that many of our members do have a number of kilts. Of course I am biased, having a selection in mainly blues and greens.
    Last edited by tpa; 9th December 17 at 11:11 AM.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567