X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMorganKuberry View Post
    Oh I figured it was something specific. But I haven't dug into pre-(7Y)war history much yet.

I know what you mean about reenactors wanting to pick wrong. The trouble I am running into with FnI is this. I can pick a target date and stick to it for everything. But event organizers pick target dates and seems like no matter what I do, it's wrong to someone. Plus this was a period of transition. I want to just do it right but that's turning out to be far easier said than done. In the end I might need to get two of everything so I mix and match for different events.

What do you make of the claim that Lord Murray added a red overstripe to the tartan that lasted until the end of war? I find wargamers all agree on it and reenactors insist it wasn't so. I wonder if this is because wargamers can paint their figures any wya they want, while reenactors are economically motivated to endorse the much more readily available undifferenced blackwatch cloth.

For now I will plan on the Gedney backsword for my next acquisition and if no good deal on a used musket appears before fall, I'll order a new one.
    Ive seen nothing in the period that differentiates Grenadier plaids, all the shipping documents only say privates and NCO's plaids. They do list Grenadiers coats separate from everyone elses, as well as caps. The red stripe thing I think comes from Stewart of Garth, so way later than our period.

Tartan, that is a huge issue. No one is making the correct stuff at the moment, Im wearing doublewide just so I can have a true twill woven tartan. The "Cheap" stuff from places like Pendleton and Woolrich is not twill woven from what I can remember.

An even worse issue is the use of lace on anyone other than grenadiers coats, and the use of red bands on enlisted mens bonnets

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red stripe is not just from Stewart of Garth. But this isn't the part of the forum for that rabbit hole. Seems like when it comes to plaid fabrics though, every unit is making their own decisions about what pros and cons they are going to put up with and have to go with "close enough" whatever their version of "close enough" may be.

Don't get me started on lace. People are obsessed with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red stripe is not just from Stewart of Garth. But this isn't the part of the forum for that rabbit hole. Seems like when it comes to plaid fabrics though, every unit is making their own decisions about what pros and cons they are going to put up with and have to go with "close enough" whatever their version of "close enough" may be.

Don't get me started on lace. People are obsessed with it.
    I recently saw something in IIRC Scarlatti, Origins and Development of Military Tartans, its a pretty obscure book. It devoted some time to the red line, I will pull it out again and see what it says

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very rare book indeed! A million thanks.

What do you reckon is the most statistically likely musket for a random member of a Highland regiment on a random date of the war? Without, obviously, including rifles, officers fusils, and the like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very rare book indeed! A million thanks.

What do you reckon is the most statistically likely musket for a random member of a Highland regiment on a random date of the war? Without, obviously, including rifles, officers fusils, and the like.
    A 65 Cal carbine, with a 39 to perhaps 42 inch barrel, wood ramrod. So a totally custom gun unless you want to go with a Loyalist gun

I carry and Indian made Long Land, as it is only for burning powder, I have a couple other custom pieces that I hunt and shoot compitition with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No competitions for me. So are you talking about the Loyalist Arms artillery carbine?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No competitions for me. So are you talking about the Loyalist Arms artillery carbine?
    Yes, its the closest, not perfect, but you wont get that without full on custom, 2K or more priced gun

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Scarlatti, Origins and Development of Military Tartans
    You probably mean James D Scarlett MBE.

Not to be confused with Alessandro Scarlatti, the Italian composer.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    You probably mean James D Scarlett MBE.

Not to be confused with Alessandro Scarlatti, the Italian composer.
    Yes, was pulling from memory, not the book shelf!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast