X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I no longer wear a sgian dubh so it's not an issue and whist I get it, it does seem like a further cultural diminuition by the overly cautious.
    Yes I feel the same way.

I rarely wear one both because it's an unnecessary extra do-dad and because half the venues I'll be piping at have "zero tolerance" policies. Why expose myself to potential problems?

Yet back in the day before all these "zero tolerance" policies I would wear a sgian and when performing for school children it was always one of the main things the kids noticed, commented on, and asked questions about.

Our society seems determined to adopt politically-correct blandness.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes I feel the same way.

I rarely wear one both because it's an unnecessary extra do-dad and because half the venues I'll be piping at have "zero tolerance" policies. Why expose myself to potential problems?

Yet back in the day before all these "zero tolerance" policies I would wear a sgian and when performing for school children it was always one of the main things the kids noticed, commented on, and asked questions about.

Our society seems determined to adopt politically-correct blandness.
    Sometimes Political Correctness can be a bit "too much" in my way of thinking .......it is differences that make culture what it is and political correctness for the sake of political correctness seems to want to lump us all in the same box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    That does not surprise me. Better safe than sorry from the Brigadier's point of view, who is taking the view that any reduction of sharp pointy things swanning around in the crowd will assist his blood pressure more than somewhat. Remember too that the UK has had a couple of very recent terrorist events involving knives ending in deaths of the innocent. Also remember, that the Tattoo is held in the centre of the City of Edinburgh, where people and alcohol are there in abundance at the peak of the tourist season. A sad but wise decision in my view.
    Yeah, there are a lot of kilted terrorists running around. Reminds me of the TSA pulling 90 year old grandmas out for an extended check.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I agree with Jock's comments about how the authorities are on edge (no pun intended) due to several fatal knife attacks by ISIS sympathizers, it does seem like clan members at the Tattoo would fall into a different category.

I imagine some sort of compromise has been worked out to accommodate Sikhs who are required to carry a "sword" (really more of a long knife) as part of their religion. Perhaps a similar cultural exception could be made for Highlanders with sgian dubh (and Zulu dancers with 7-foot spears).

And, as noted, one can always go with a sgian brew or sgian don't (fake knife).

It is also quite possible that the organizers for other clans may have issued different guidelines.

In the USA, I always carried a sgian when I was kilted, and I wore a dirk for formal occasions. But when I moved to China, I figured it was not worth the hassle of trying to get a blade through airport customs. So I have not worn either in several years.

And if you think the authorities are touch on knives in Scotland, you might be shocked when you visit Beijing. Here I need to present a passport in order to purchase a typical dinner knife for the table, let alone a chef's knife or something designed for actual use as a weapon. Access to any sort of fighting accessories is carefully controlled here. On the bright side, it is safe to walk alone on the street at any time of the day or night, so public safety is very good. I don't know how much limiting access to butter knives contributes to this safety, however.

BTW, I find it humorous the way the auto-correct on this site keeps turning "sgain dubh" into "skin duh" or "again duh." The wonders of technology

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    While I agree with Jock's comments about how the authorities are on edge (no pun intended) due to several fatal knife attacks by ISIS sympathizers, it does seem like clan members at the Tattoo would fall into a different category.

I imagine some sort of compromise has been worked out to accommodate Sikhs who are required to carry a "sword" (really more of a long knife) as part of their religion. Perhaps a similar cultural exception could be made for Highlanders with sgian dubh (and Zulu dancers with 7-foot spears).

And, as noted, one can always go with a sgian brew or sgian don't (fake knife).

It is also quite possible that the organizers for other clans may have issued different guidelines.

In the USA, I always carried a sgian when I was kilted, and I wore a dirk for formal occasions. But when I moved to China, I figured it was not worth the hassle of trying to get a blade through airport customs. So I have not worn either in several years.

And if you think the authorities are touch on knives in Scotland, you might be shocked when you visit Beijing. Here I need to present a passport in order to purchase a typical dinner knife for the table, let alone a chef's knife or something designed for actual use as a weapon. Access to any sort of fighting accessories is carefully controlled here. On the bright side, it is safe to walk alone on the street at any time of the day or night, so public safety is very good. I don't know how much limiting access to butter knives contributes to this safety, however.

BTW, I find it humorous the way the auto-correct on this site keeps turning "sgain dubh" into "skin duh" or "again duh." The wonders of technology

Andrew
    Even in the US is varies. Where I live now, the weapons laws are pretty liberal, meaning there are few restrictions, but where I am from, NY, there are many. Because I've heard of extended searches for the kilted at the airport in my area, I skip the exercise of wearing a kilt if I travel by air, which generally is to go back east. Other places I drive or ride my motorcycle. I am not sure I'd want to live somewhere that the government doesn't trust their citizens. Maybe it's safer, but it's more control over the individual than I care for. I don't blame people for wanting to come here. I would too.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12