X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apron shape?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a copy of "The Art of Kiltmaking." It's amazing how Barbara and Elsie were able to fit so much information in only 141 pages. I'm still curious what the apron flare would look like if it were straight instead of having a slight "S" shape to it?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An apron can be made with straight lines. But from experience a wool kilt looks much better with "S" shaped apron edges.

I began making solid colored kilts. When working with fabrics other than wool you will usually need to use straight lines as many fabrics cannot take the compound curves that wool will. This is why wool has always been the premier kilt making fabric.

Here is laying out an apron with straight lines in a Polyester/Rayon blend fabric.

I actually use a different amount of taper for each kilt depending on the hip to waist ratio of the customer. But as a rule of thumb 3 inches wider at the bottom than at the waist will give a good amount of taper.

Here is a commercial kilt with poor apron taper. You can see that the apron edge splays at the bottom and flips outward.
    (This is also a good example of someone trying to wear a kilt designed to be worn at the anatomical waist down where he would wear pants. You can see the huge pucker to the front apron this can cause.) (This also causes the hem to drop below the top of the knee cap as in this photo.)

And here is one of my kilts made with straight apron edges.

No, you do not need to use the "S" curve but if you are making a kilt from quality wool that you want to look good I highly recommend using an "S" curved taper.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 19th August 17 at 03:07 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you tell us the style of kilt you plan on making and the fabric that you plan on using. This will help us help you much better.

A picture of what you have in mind would help a lot.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12