X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Keep in mind that Balmorals are not berets.

A recurring thing in this thread is wanting to compare/conflate the two.

They have nothing to do with one another, they stem from different traditions and so forth.

In civilian Highland Dress, the dark green used on bonnets, jackets, and hose is usually called Bottle Green and has no military connexions or connotations, so you can put all those worries out of your mind.

In civilian Highland Dress the beige used on bonnets is called "fawn" (as pointed out above) and likewise has no military connexions or connotations.

Highland military No1 Dress doublets are an extremely dark green, nearly black, called Archer Green.

Highland military bonnets worn with No1 Dress are an extremely dark blue, those worn in combat and in several other forms of dress are the colour called "khaki" in the UK which corresponds to "olive drab" in the USA. (The military shirt colour called "khaki" in the USA is called "stone" in the UK.)

Just to get all that UK/USA colour nomenclature clear.

Anyhow yes if you're in civilian Highland Day Dress any of the traditional civilian bonnet colours is fine and none of them have any military connexions or connotations whatsoever. They're purely civilian colour choices.

Commonly seen are fawn, Lovat green, Lovat blue, St Andrews blue (all somewhat pale colours) and deeper colours such as royal blue, bottle green, claret, navy blue, and black.

Some modern gents at a Scottish Highland Games (the Argyllshire Gathering) showing a range of bonnet colours

The Scottish military Tam O Shanter or TOS in khaki (US olive drab) is made of woven yardage cut and sewn to shape, unlike traditional Balmoral bonnets which are knit and shaped.
    To be fair, someone shared a link to a balmoral bonnet marketed as "special forces green" and another poster suggested that it may be inappropriate to wear a "significant coloured bonnet" to an event where there would be numerous military veterans.

I don't think anyone made the claim that berets and balmorals were the same. It was simply pointed out that if one cannot wear a bonnet in dark green because a military unit wears hats in that color, than you will quickly run out of available color options since military berets of almost every color used in balmoral bonnets exist.

I do however agree with your position that a balmoral in any color, when worn with civilian clothes (an sans insignia) should be considered appropriate.
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 22nd July 17 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    Attachment 31580 I've been wearing a "newsboy cap" since I was, ....well a news boy.... I wear my kilts with pride because I love to wear them and I don't pretend to be a "Higlander".... even when I'm in the highlands, as a matter of fact I'm a Canadian.... of Scots /Irish decent.. I'm sorry if my hat offends any highlanders but it's my hat of choice and my head it rests on
    Generally Terry I agree with you, if that is what you want to do then get on with it. However I respectfully suggest, that The Edinburgh Tattoo is a time when personal preferences might take second place to wearing the kilt and its accompanying attire rather more accurately for the benefit of the spectators who might learn something from those participating.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At The Tatoo

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Generally Terry I agree with you, if that is what you want to do then get on with it. However I respectfully suggest, that The Edinburgh Tattoo is a time when personal preferences might take second place to wearing the kilt and its accompanying attire rather more accurately for the benefit of the spectators who might learn something from those participating.
    I'm sure the spectators at the Tatoo are not worrying about what Cap I have on Jock.....as a matter of fact unless I wear something Garish I doubt they even notice I'm NOT there

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I respectfully suggest, that The Edinburgh Tattoo is a time when personal preferences might take second place to wearing the kilt and its accompanying attire rather more accurately for the benefit of the spectators who might learn something from those participating.
    Seems that you're speaking to the notion of being something of an ambassador, of representing Highland Dress to the General Public.

At least here in the USA (where seeing a man in Highland Dress is unusual) it seems to me that anybody out wearing a kilt will be thrust into that situation whether he likes it or not.

For sure I'm conscious of that, when I'm hired to pipe at weddings or other events. Pipers tend to be fastidious about their kit and moreover are accustomed to playing that ambassador role, an ambassador for the instrument and music they love, and an ambassador for the costume that goes along with it. For pipers it's a duty, one might say.

Happily in most cases "personal preferences" and "wearing the kilt accurately" coexist.

About attending the Tattoo, as I've said before I wouldn't dream of schlepping Highland Dress on holiday (it takes up too much precious luggage space) so when I have attended it's been in my normal tourist clothes (trainers, jeans, rain jacket, hat, and the ubiquitous umbrella). Yes I got rained on once. It's Scotland.

When I did have my Highland Dress with me, when travelling with a pipe band, that kit was only worn when playing with the band. I wouldn't dream of wearing the band kit when attending the Tattoo or any other non-band function.

But back to the OP, if it's chilly and outdoors and might rain then it seems to me that a hat is called for. Any colour Balmoral bonnet would do fine.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th July 17 at 05:15 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    To be fair, someone shared a link to a balmoral bonnet marketed as "special forces green" and another poster suggested that it may be inappropriate to wear a "significant coloured bonnet" to an event where there would be numerous military veterans.
    My point was that no Scottish-made bonnets intended for the civilian market are made in "significant" colours- it's pure fashion.

And that Scottish military bonnets are extremely dark blue or khaki (olive drab).

Seems to me that the very notion of calling a Scottish bonnet "special forces green" is confusing Highland civilian dress with American military dress... it's as inappropriate as saying a car painted British Racing Green is painted "special forces green". You can't legitimately go around the world labeling every object of a similar colour "special forces green".
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems that you're speaking to the notion of being something of an ambassador, of representing Highland Dress to the General Public.

At least here in the USA (where seeing a man in Highland Dress is unusual) it seems to me that anybody out wearing a kilt will be thrust into that situation whether he likes it or not.

For sure I'm conscious of that, when I'm hired to pipe at weddings or other events. Pipers tend to be fastidious about their kit and moreover are accustomed to playing that ambassador role, an ambassador for the instrument and music they love, and an ambassador for the costume that goes along with it. For pipers it's a duty, one might say.

Happily in most cases "personal preferences" and "wearing the kilt accurately" coexist.

About attending the Tattoo, as I've said before I wouldn't dream of schlepping Highland Dress on holiday (it takes up too much precious luggage space) so when I have attended it's been in my normal tourist clothes (trainers, jeans, rain jacket, hat, and the ubiquitous umbrella). Yes I got rained on once. It's Scotland.

When I did have my Highland Dress with me, when travelling with a pipe band, that kit was only worn when playing with the band. I wouldn't dream of wearing the band kit when attending the Tattoo or any other non-band function.

But back to the OP, if it's chilly and outdoors and might rain then it seems to me that a hat is called for. Any colour Balmoral bonnet would do fine.

You may have missed that the theme of the Tattoo this year is 'Tartan Splash' - and 2-3 different clans have been invited to participate each evening. We are required to wear kilts etc. The O.P. and I will be participating with the Clan Buchanan.

It is not a matter of should we wear the kilt, but how best to wear it.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point was that no Scottish-made bonnets intended for the civilian market are made in "significant" colours- it's pure fashion.

And that Scottish military bonnets are extremely dark blue or khaki (olive drab).

Seems to me that the very notion of calling a Scottish bonnet "special forces green" is confusing Highland civilian dress with American military dress... it's as inappropriate as saying a car painted British Racing Green is painted "special forces green". You can't legitimately go around the world labeling every object of a similar colour "special forces green".
    This is neither here nor there but just a bit of trivia. After the unification of the Canadian forces in the the late 60's, the general issue beret adopted for the entire Forces including airforce and navy was the same colour as the special forces green which has been mentioned on here. The Scottish regiments were issued balmorals in the same colour so as to match everyone else. Generally they were worn with work dress/garrison dress up until the mid 90's then phased out in favour of the glengarry and khaki/fawn balmorals. There are some units that opted to keep them, but they are no longer the norm.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    You may have missed that the theme of the Tattoo this year is 'Tartan Splash' - and 2-3 different clans have been invited to participate each evening. We are required to wear kilts etc. The O.P. and I will be participating with the Clan Buchanan.

It is not a matter of should we wear the kilt, but how best to wear it.
    Exactly so! Thank you.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about others here but, when I go outside I wear a hat. I especially make sure to wear one if I amgoing to be outside for any length of time due to the fact, that if I don't, I will get a sunburn on my head. This is no fun so I wear a hat. My only requirement is that it fits the dress situation.

My two cents worth.

Stoff

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the parade is in the evening and in Scotland, sunburn at that time of day will not be an issue. On the other hand it could well be raining---------.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast