X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

highland mafia is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help picking waistcoat colour pattern

I'm putting together an outfit for solo piping day completions. Brown brogues, Lovat green hose, purplely flashes, isle of Skye box pleat kilt, brown sporran, white shirt, purple tie.... Now what colour waistcoat?? I've thought about a browny tweed. But I think it might be a bit too brown with the sporran and shoes. What about a grey waistcoat?? Or a greeny colour?? Again with green I wonder if might be a bit too much green.. I don't normally wear a jacket when competing. So just the waistcoat and shirt sleeves.
    Last edited by highland mafia; 22nd July 17 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a light grey tweed vest with five (or six) dark brown buttons would look smashing with your ensemble. Or, if you have a black pipe covering, black buttons on the vest. Buttons of horn or wood would be my first choices, with cloth covered being next and plastic as a last resort.

I believe light grey would let the Isle of Skye, and purple tie "pop" where a dark grey may mute the image.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a muted(not bright) yellow, or buff?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd July 17 at 11:48 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

highland mafia is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    How about a muted(not bright) yellow, or buff?
    My goodness that would be a bold look. I'm not sure if I can back that colour up with my playing! I'd have to pump a flawless Piobaireachd to be able to wear that in competition.. haha. But then there is something to be said for swagger.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to highland mafia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highland mafia View Post
    Isle of Skye kilt... green hose...brown brogues... brown sporran... purple flashes...purple tie.... brown tweed...
    Since the tartan is green, purple, and brown you're repeating the colours of the kilt over and over.

My preference is to do the opposite: avoid as much as possible all the main colours present in the kilt.

I wear my Isle of Skye kilt all the time, and with it I often wear hose, flashes, shirt, and tie in various blues, claret, red... for the very reason that the tartan doesn't contain those colours.

For me the name of the game is coordinating, which is the opposite of matching.

The exception for me is that I do often wear a brown tweed waistcoat, though the "brown" is closer to taupe, not the chocolate brown that appears in the tartan.

So yes indeed tweed is nice, be it brown or grey or green or whatever looks nice; I wouldn't worry about matching. I like bold tweeds, for example with an overcheck (called "windowpane check" here in the USA) or any sort of check or herringbone or what have you.

Here's with a brown/taupe-ish waistcoat and Cheviot "bison" hose

Here's with charcoal grey tweed and claret hose. The tie looks purple but is actually a geometric design of claret and various other colours.

Here's a soft green tweed and St Andrews Blue hose and claret flashes. The necktie is blue, claret, and grey stripes; only the pale grey appears in the tartan.

Last edited by OC Richard; 27th July 17 at 06:12 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: