X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    A replica Mk 7 respirator bag, which is what Indiana Jones carried in the movies.

Attachment 31738
    Here's the movie version, from ROTLA

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    What I use, when I carry a bag (usually in addition to a sporran, since I almost always wear a sporran) is an "Indiana Jones" bag. A replica Mk 7 respirator bag, which is what Indiana Jones carried in the movies. Looks a lot like a haversack, and has some very useful partitions inside. I got it from What Price Glory, a seller of surplus and replica militaria from the UK and US.

And here it is: http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopdispl...&searchfields=
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a handsome thing, the IJ bag. If it can hold a roll of TP and a bottle of Purell how can you go wrong?

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jack Daw For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
    It's a handsome thing, the IJ bag. If it can hold a roll of TP and a bottle of Purell how can you go wrong?
    Ah, an old campaigner speaks wisdom!
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Seems like I've tried about every sporran there is...just can't get used to them. Have often opted for vests to hold my stuff but here in hot weather country that's too toasty.

Picked up a small Saddleback Leather bag...looks like a purse in a way - or a possibles bag. Long leather strap to wear cross body. Probably more room inside than a sporran.

Of course the "fear" is wearing a kilt/skirt and a man bag/handbag will look too "un-Scottish"

Anyone out there way ahead of me? Seems common sense.
    I say do whatever seems most practical for you in your situation. My casual kilts have pockets, so I don't use a sporran with those. However, when I dress up, I'll use a sporran, even if the kilt has pockets.
    Last edited by SunriseEarth; 30th January 18 at 03:32 PM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to SunriseEarth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LKM View Post
    As hot as it has been part of this summer, I would say use whatever woks without getting heat sickness. If it's a manbag or large sporran does not matter, go with what works for you. In more traditional settings a sporran would most likely be accepted better, yet in a casual setting I doubt anyone would care.

When it is a cooler temperature I agree with the jacket holding quite a bit, yet when it gets to 90, 100, or the rear in Colorado 110+ degrees Fahrenheit (upper 30s to mid 40s Celsius) the jacket and vest/waistcoat are far to hot. As the OP if in AZ, USA where over 110 happens more often I think he has the issue of extreme high temperatures and is looking for something other then a sporran to hold more then most sporrans hold without adding additional layers.
    Thanks for posting this. I live in a very hot area, and I have yet to go traditional, so I wear a PV for the time being. I have yet to even buy a sporran. For me I don't worry too much about carrying more than my car keys and my cell.

When I go full trad in the future then its time to get sporran. In IMHO.

Great thread too. Got to thinking. No small feat!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I wear the kilt, I always have a sporran, unless I'm running a race. It completes the look and my usual sporran is big enough to hold most of the kit I will need. It also helps to keep the front apron down in position to protect my modesty (and everyone else's eyes).

That said, I do sometimes need additional capacity. I have a few canvas tote bag things that have a 3rd sewn-on strap that fits over the shoulder, from an old school I used to work at. These are great for when I need to carry an item or 2 that's too big/bulky for the sporran.

As a teacher, I carry a backpack to work every day, to hold the textbooks, notebooks, laptop, and pencil case I use. I got tired of replacing cheap nylon backpacks every few years, so I finally invested in a quality "lifetime" backpack. Like one of the posters above, I went with Saddleback Leather.

I can't say enough good things about this pack. Not only is it tough as only leather can be, it also looks great. I constantly get questions and compliments about it. It has a rugged, manly look that many people immediately associate with Indiana Jones, although it was his jacket that was leather and his bag was canvas (as noted). It is also waterproof and pretty well insulated for holding your lunch. It's roomy enough that I've used it as my only luggage on weeklong trips. It has a big inside compartment, a removable leather divider, a couple of small pockets near the top for holding chargers and such, plus a thin pocket for the laptop and a pair of outside buckle flap compartments for my sunglasses, sunblock, and other supplies. Water bottle and umbrella slip nicely in the hidden pockets behind the outside compartments.

I bought my wife one at the same time and she loves hers, too.

Here's the link: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/squ...ather-backpack

They also make some great over the shoulder messenger and satchel type bags, which I have often considered adding to my collection: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/lea...chels-day-bags

Andrew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my personal opinion a kilt just doesn’t look right without a sporran, even if one had a satchel or jacket pockets making it unnecessary. I would vote for a manbag in addition to a sporran if necessary as opposed to in lieu of.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123