X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Um, OK. But just because I like numbers --

If this lady has been sewing for 20 years, working 5 days a week, that would be 1,000 kilts per year or 3.8 kilts ever day.

If she has been making kilts for 30 years, 5 days a week, with no time off for vacations or sick days, she is still putting out 2.5 kilts every day.

Amazing.
    I can't even imagine being able to make such a huge number of kilts.

She did say that she loves making kilts and is addicted to making them. So I wouldn't be surprised if she works from 5am to 9pm almost every day. I would suppose that she loves her work and cares about the quality and has developed efficient time-saving methods and techniques over all those years.

Maybe some of the kilts are tiny ones for kids, or 4 yard box pleated kilts that take less time than 8 yard knife pleated kilts.

But even so, that's a vast number of kilts !!!
    Bonnie Heather Greene, Kiltmaker and Artist
    Traditional hand stitched kilts, kilt alterations, kilt-skirts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnie heather View Post
    4 yard box pleated kilts that take less time than 8 yard knife pleated kilts.
    Box pleated kilts are virtually unknown in Scotland so I doubt if that's the answer.
    And she did end up with carpal tunnel syndrome!

Alan

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An intriguing article. It is a huge number of kilts. One wonders if she is making the entire kilt from start to completion? Every direct quote refers to "hand sewing the kilt(s)". The only place "make" or "making" is used is a statement by the reporter: "Mrs Skedd said each kilt usually takes around a day to make, although at her fastest she was making three per day.". You would imagine that in a mill turning out that many kilts a year, Operational Research would dictate a team operation, with each member performing a specialization in the process. None the less, it she was just sewing the pleats, it's still a staggering performance.

One might also wonder that if she wanted to join her brothers in the army, why would she apply to join the Marines, rather than the Black Watch, an infantry regiment, with her brothers?

But aking the whole story at face value, congratulations are indeed due.
    Mrs Skedd said each kilt usually takes around a day to make, although at her fastest she was making three per day.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/peo...kilt-1-4509855
    Mrs Skedd said each kilt usually takes around a day to make, although at her fastest she was making three per day.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/peo...kilt-1-4509855
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12