X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posting pictures

Further to Steve's post I struggled and almost gave up. If you are accessing xmarks with google or google Chrome the upload procedure just doesn't work ( at least not for me on my iPad), but does if I use Safari or Firefox.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Chrome and Firefox both and see no difference between them.

When I access X Marks on a daily basis I am usually using a Windows desktop or laptop machine with versions win 95 or win 10.

I'm sorry but I do not use a tablet or phone to access the forum.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Operating systems can mean a world of difference in functionality

The fact that you are doing it on an iPad is likely the cause. Code that works on one platform may not work on another platform because a function on one may not work exactly the same as on another. Many times a capability, like photo uploading, often depends on a feature that works on Windows but may not be present on an Apple OS.

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My lovely wife (a computer programmer and systems manager) complains the inability to resize and select the pixel density of photos is the issue when uploading onto many websites.

The type of software one uses makes photo management easier if an image can be manipulated to fit the format that receives the photo. In this case, older and simpler software is better for photo transfer. My "dinosaur" laptop and ancient Photoshop 95 software are not having the problems most of you are encountering.

There is one tool I use that helps when I get photos from other sites. Snipping Tool is a windows product that allows me to select a smaller portion of a photo. That usually creates a new photo the right size for any transfer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at Steve's instructions and then tried to upload a photo. I discovered something. I did not have the tool bar Steve shows in his screen shots. If you go into your profile under "general settings" at the bottom you will find "Miscellaneous Options", Message Editor Interface". If you have "Basic Editor" selected you will not have the tool bar. Change that to "Enhanced Interface". Now the tool bar will show up and you will have the icon to insert a photo.

Mike

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike in Dayton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a way to resize photos on my laptop, so I use a free online photo resizer.

It has the additional advantage is that you can save, for example, a png image as a jpg image. I need this because I have Picasa on my laptop which only works with jpg images. [I'm too tech-ignorant and cheap to have Photoshop.]

I also use a free online site that will flip images due to many images found online being backwards/mirrored.

Due to the Photobucket thing I'm putting everything on Imgur. Everything is backed up just in case.

Anyhow I use Imgur to post images, for now.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th August 17 at 04:32 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I don't have a way to resize photos on my laptop, so I use a free online photo resizer.

[I'm too tech-ignorant and cheap to have Photoshop.]
    I use Photoscape, which is a free program that's full of features. It's nowhere near the level of Photoshop, of course. But it is easy to crop, resize, adjust colours and contrast and such, add text, and even play with various filters. It handles a bunch of different file formats, and can be used for printing collages and stuff that I don't use.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tobus.

Downloading right now; I've been looking for something to upgrade Picasa.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picture posting trepidation

I've read the how-to on posting pictures. I have my doubts. The last photo I posted from my hard drive had to be reduced to postage stamp size with a 100 pixel resolution before the forum system would allow it to be posted. I tried several dimensions and was told each time the pic could not be uploaded. It wasn't until I go the pixels down to pixie size that the system would finally accept it. Steve has written he posts pics of 600x600, a good size. OCRichard' s pics are always large. I'm going to want to post pics of a kilt in a rare tartan soon. Am I going to have to shrink it to postage stamp size, too? Id rather it be larger, and think others will want it large enough to make out the colors and sett easily.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benning Boy,

It is not always size which determines if a photo will upload. File format is another common reason that photos fail to upload as are differences in computer systems.

Personally I find that bandwidth and the type of connection to the internet that I am using are also common factors to uploads failing.

I find that if I upload my photos to one of the on-line photo hosting sites and insert them directly will almost always work. This is not using the icon and upload feature of the forum.

You simply copy the text of the photo and paste it into your post.

You start by typing the "IMG" HTML tags. these are brackets "[" & "]" with IMG and /IMG within the brackets at the beginning and end.
    Then the code must be correct.
    This code will usually start with http:// or https://.

I find that I can almost always insert a photo into one of my posts using this copy and paste method even when I have had repeated failures of the same photo to upload using the icon system.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner