X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan ball hose that look great with Muted MacDonald of Glencoe

I have a new Tewksbury (thanks Barb!) Muted MacDonald of Glencoe kilt (tartan in my Avatar) and want to have some great hose to wear to the Clan Donald tartan ball coming up soon at their AGM in Savannah GA. I've read the discussion so I know white is out. Can you guys suggest something that would look great at a formal event like the ball? The tartan colors that predominate are sort of a wine color, a deep green, and sort of a brownish hue where the red interacts with the green. Most of the pics I've seen of the tartan make it look like a bright plum color, but it not near that bright.
    "What's in YOUR sporran?"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason you see the caution about white is that you seem to see white hose all over the web. But white is so overdone that if you go to a wedding and see the guy in front with white hose you immediately know he rented his kilt.

Can you wear white? Of course you can. But do so as a conscious decision because it looks better with the outfit, not because some website led you to believe that it is more 'proper'.

Today most people use darker colors for formal occasions. I personally wear charcoal grey for formal and I think it looks classy and elegant. Less costume looking.

Can you wear diced hose? Well, sure you can. But really, how deep are your pockets? Can you afford $140.00 for a pair of socks?

And try to think outside of the box that says the hose color should be based on the colors of the Tartan. There are so many great colors. What color shirt are you going to wear? What color tie? Why not coordinate your hose color with those and let the Tartan be the centerpiece of the outfit. We want people to see the kilt as our centerpiece. Let it stand on its own. It can do it, I promise.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 11th August 17 at 12:25 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To this point...

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    ... let the Tartan be the centerpiece of the outfit.
    ... bison would be my choice. https://scottishlion.com/products/bi...kilt-hose.html

See green here... http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-review-45664/
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly anything except Orange would work, though I'd avoid claret as being close, but not close enough, in hue to the ground of the kilt.

Lovat blue or green would look fine. So would grey or navy.

Yellow would work, if you had a yellow tie to work off of.

Pink would look good too, but certain folks would consider it too "matchy" for their tastes.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound advice has been given, but I cannot help but think that there is an awful lot of overthinking is going on by those giving advice on this subject. You have plenty of colour options to think about and with a bit of trial and error you will develop your tastes as time goes by , but I honestly think this matching and complimenting idea really does cloud the issue more than somewhat.

Grab a shirt any shirt that you like----for a dress(formal) event then white will probably be the choice, a black bow tie is the usual option for the event, the jacket will probably be black ,or, maybe dark blue and the kilt are the colours it is. So, hose colour is any colour you like other than black or white for the good reasons that Steve gave above, so I would suggest a start with navy blue hose. While you are at the do, take note of what others are wearing and you may spot other colours that suit you better in the future. There is nothing like the mixtures of colours that others wear for real, for ideas.

The question then might arise in your mind, "what about flashes"? Again, any colour you like, as long as they are not tartan is a good guide, but for a start I would suggest dark green, possibly dark red to go with the navy blue hose. Good luck!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 11th August 17 at 08:37 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At risk of going off topic, the MacDonald of Glencoe tartan is an interesting one.

The pattern is said to have been taken from a fragment of cloth in the West Highland Museum in Fort William. It is thought claimed) that the fragment was found in Glencoe and automatically attributed to the the MacDonalds but with no proof other than the alleged Glencoe connection.

Despite enquiries I have been unable to trace the original specimen to determine what age it is.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add that I'm wearing a formal white shirt, Prince Charlie, and black Ghillie Brouges (eventually buckle brogues but don't have them yet). No white socks for me, but I'm just looking for something quite classy, not necessarily something that matches the kilt).
    "What's in YOUR sporran?"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with Navy or a dark Green. Take a look at this thread

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-review-45664/

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I would go with Navy or a dark Green. Take a look at this thread

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-review-45664/
    I would agree with McMurdo on this one, which ever colour you go with for hose and use the other colour for the flashes.
    Just my opinion.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to David Dubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I am fairly new to dressing in kilt, I am a MacDonald....very familiar with this plaid. So I would go with a Navy Blue or Black hose, with dark red flashes. The plaid is beautiful and should be the focal point especially if you are formal...I am not a fan of lighter hose, especially at a formal affair. I am a student of Jock Scot above, and think his advice is tops. Since I have been on this forum for over a year now, a lot of good advise, from Father Bill, Jock and others who know what they are talking about....
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 14th August 17 at 09:14 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post: