X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Live stream of Grade One Qualifiers today

Here's the live streaming

http://www.theworlds.co.uk/Pages/LIV...REAM-2017.aspx

They're taking the lunch break now, back at 2pm Glasgow time for, I believe, the Medleys.

As I understand the MSR Qualifiers were this morning, which I missed, it being 5:30am here now.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw Ravara from Northern Ireland, very nice.

I think the sound is better than previous years- for once I can hear the bass drones of the pipes, and hear the work of the bass drum and midsection at least somewhat. That's the main thing that's lost when you hear a band on the internet or on a recording, the lush tone of the pipes and the full tonal spectrum of the bass and midsection.

Lovely subtle midsection work there from Ravara, nice to be able to hear it.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The live stream of the finals is starting in a few minutes, 10am Glasgow time

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ec6v9r/live/c4fzp6

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's gonna be another close one on the MSR contest. Very strong performances throughout. A VERY good one from the newly-minted grade 1 band (promoted from Grade 2) - Pipes and Drums of the Police Service of Northern Ireland. I thought Field Marshal Montgomery (FMM), St Laurence O'Toole (SLOT) and Inverary and District gave exceptional rounds.

It's a shame it started to rain right as Simon Fraser University (SFU) went up to the line. That seemed to affect their drone tuning somewhat. Scottish Power's (following SFU) tuning was probably also slightly off as a result of the rain.

Numbers-wise, the bands vary from 18-23 pipers, 5-8 tenor drums (of various sizes/pitches), and 8-13 snares - and of course only 1 bass drum per band.

Now waiting for the medley performance, to be followed by the Grade 2 contest.
    John

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So wonderful to have Bob Worral's commentary. He hears all the subtle things I can't.

I'm 100% with him in his yearly urging of bands to seek out less-played tunes and 4-part tunes. Makes you sit up and listen when a band plays a tune you've rarely heard... rather than hearing Highland Wedding for the fifth time! Nice tunes heard from Northern Ireland Police, Power, and Vale.

Yes SFU and Power got hit with the rain, bummer. And one band got hit with the sun suddenly coming out.

My awards so far:

Best Beards: SFU, with an epic ginger and an epic salt & pepper.

Best Knees: Inveraray. I hate the super-low pipe band kilt thing.

Interesting to see more bands going with the G1 chanters (Inveraray of course, but also Glasgow Police, Triumph Street, and Vale of Atholl). Still dominated by Shepherds though. Curious is FMM whose chanter looked like Shepherd but their bag-sponsor was RG Hardie. Usually when you get chanters for the band the chanter-maker gives the band bag-covers with the chanter-maker's logo on them.

About bass drums, remember when one of the bands was playing two bass drummers a couple years ago? I can't remember which band. They were at different pitches, a 4th or 5th apart.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th August 17 at 07:34 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame I missed the live stream, they don't seem to have any of the events on the website anymore. Well done IDPB for taking the title again though.
    "The Scots have a transportable culture, you don't stop bein a Scot just because you live in America or Australia or anywhere else."

Colin G. Calloway

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CamelCody View Post
    Shame I missed the live stream, they don't seem to have any of the events on the website anymore. Well done IDPB for taking the title again though.
    I just went there and you can still see the videos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ec6v9r/live/c4fzp6

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm listening/watching to the recording of Shotts & Dykehead's entry. It's one of my favorite bands as I have a few of their recordings. Thanks for posting the link.
    Last edited by Jack Daw; 17th August 17 at 04:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correction----I said congrats to IDPB for winning again but I realized shortly after that this is their first win. For some reason I thought they had won before.
    "The Scots have a transportable culture, you don't stop bein a Scot just because you live in America or Australia or anywhere else."

Colin G. Calloway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CamelCody View Post
    Correction----I said congrats to IDPB for winning again but I realized shortly after that this is their first win. For some reason I thought they had won before.
    Grade 2 in 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast