X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my first Kilt...now?

Hello all,

I finally just got my first kilt. I was working on my weight but decided to just get an acrylic for now. I need to get hose and also flashes or maybe ties?

I am a bigger guy and am wondering if their are a brand or type of hose that runs a little bigger. Also looking to get flashes but also since I've never worn garters I was wondering about the comfort level and so that also made me consider ties.

I can use the help please. I actually only have a belt w/buckle which are nice and cheap sporran so I am open to advise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few thick calf fellows here.. I'm not one of them .. who will likely chime in. You can also check in with House of Cheviot in their forum for some advice.

Flashes are relatively easy to make yourself, and especially if you are concerned about fit. A length of 1 1/2 inch waistband elastic cut to overlap about 2 inches comfortably. Then stitch on some Velcro fastener. For the flash, decent quality cloth ribbon folded over to offset lengths (Google images are a great guide). Even if you don't make the flashes, the garter elastic might still be a comfortable replacement for purchased flashes if that elastic is not long enough.

Welcome to the addiction
    Last edited by Taskr; 14th August 17 at 02:43 PM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Taskr on the elastic for flashes. The wider the better for comfort around the calves. I made a pair that I can change the ribbons on but keep a pair with red ribbon sewn on permanently.

Shooting socks are another option for thicker calved gents and ladies. Google "shooting socks" for retailers.

Hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Taskr. I just don't have any experience with this so that is much appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yes Tarheel I am interested in wearing flashes but I've never worn garters so I might be over thinking it. I'm going to check out "shooting socks"

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the Kilt.

On the socks front, I purchased a nice brown set from Hoggs, which were a good price and fit LINK

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post: