X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk wine

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't drink any longer, but in a past life....

The only wine I have ever really enjoyed were Ports. I spent a short time in Portugal for work, as the owners were from there. Their parents happened to own a vineyard that produced varieties of wine, including Ports. The best tawny I have ever had. If you're ever in that area of the world and notice some Porto Borrasco on a shelf somewhere, I would suggest to try it.
    As I recall, Sandeman was a popular choice, and much more readily available!
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1970 Warres

My Favourite port was a 1970 Warres.........The only time I ever saw it outside Portugal was about 20 years ago in a very small Portuguese restaurant in Victoria, BC.......at $375.00 for the bottle

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am a port fan, some times mix it with Brandy. Got the recipe on this forum.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KMCMICHAEL For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions

A few subjective recommendations.

I'm partial to white wines in hot weather, and have lately enjoyed the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. Sea Pearl is available at about $9 a bottle in the Boerne HEB, and Drylands is maybe $14. Nice citrus flavors. If that's too assertive for your palate, consider a Pinot Grigio--Mezzacorona is $9.50.

I avoid Chardonnays, as I don't like the tannins.

For reasonably-priced reds, I like Frontera's Casillero del Diablo, at $8. Syrah/shiraz are full-flavored, as are Zinfandels. Very tasty with any red meat off the grill. Gnarly Head (?) Old Vine Zinfandel is under $10.

Finally, a pleasant red wine to drink at home or order in a restaurant is a Côtes du Rhône. They can be had at HEB for $10 depending on brand. They tend to be cheaper in restaurants than other types of wine, because nobody knows what they are.

And as long as I know I am doing no wrong (i.e. kicking a dog or wearing crocs in public), I don't worry too much about what the grocery clerk thinks of me. So buy in volume!

Perhaps we can enjoy a glass together at the next Kerrville Games?

Regards,
    Patrick
    Last edited by Cardinal; 22nd August 17 at 09:43 AM.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Cardinal For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=KMCMICHAEL;1345035]i am a port fan, some times mix it with Brandy. Got the recipe on this forum.[/QUOTE

Seriously? Port is already fortified with brandy 😂

I was a Port drinker myself, and still have a couple unopened, but I've turned rather to Spanish wines, specifically, Rioja Reserve as my go to wine of choice.

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried that

Quote Originally Posted by KMCMICHAEL View Post
    i am a port fan, some times mix it with Brandy. Got the recipe on this forum.
    I love Port cask finished whiskies but they are not offered very often in our Liquor outlet so I tried mixing a little port with a favourite Islay single malt....it ruined the port and the single malt........I'll never do that again.........Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben is now offered regularly and so my cabinet has a good supply of it on hand

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    I love Port cask finished whiskies but they are not offered very often in our Liquor outlet so I tried mixing a little port with a favourite Islay single malt....it ruined the port and the single malt........I'll never do that again.........Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben is now offered regularly and so my cabinet has a good supply of it on hand
    I am not in the least bit surprised that your mixture did not work!
    The old adage of " not mixing grain with grape" is generally a wise observation.

Although, In minute quantities such as the residues in the wood in port barrels to mature single malt in, obviously can work successfully for some people's tastes.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd August 17 at 07:15 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best advice that I can give you, is don't buy on price, buy on taste. That is difficult when starting down the wine drinking route but overtime you will start to develop certain tastes that you prefer, then the price starts to be less important. That does not mean irrelevant!

As an afterthought, you need to understand well, that taste in wines are influenced by age, how it has been stored, how it's been stored after you have bought it, how long it's been opened, temperature before and after its been opened , what you are eating, what you have eaten and possibly the position of the moon. Also the same wine( Chateau Petrus for one example) from different years could also vary considerably due to growing conditions and amounts of sun at the critical times and some years it will keep, mature and taste very differently to other years.

Finally you may find that you will develop a long lasting interest in wines that make kilts and tartans pale into insignificance , but please whatever you do , don't become an alcoholic or a wine bore!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd August 17 at 04:53 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=javankrona;1345049]
    Quote Originally Posted by KMCMICHAEL View Post
    i am a port fan, some times mix it with Brandy. Got the recipe on this forum.[/QUOTE

Seriously? Port is already fortified with brandy 😂

I was a Port drinker myself, and still have a couple unopened, but I've turned rather to Spanish wines, specifically, Rioja Reserve as my go to wine of choice.
    Yes, seriously, it is known as fox blood. The contributor and possibly the inventor is posting on this very thread. It is two parts port and one part brandy.

My wife and I do wine tours. The only thing I have learned is that I do not like cool weather reds. But they are fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nice local wine for me is Bully Hill's love my goat. If your store has a finger lakes selection it has a good chance of being there. Usually 9.00 a bottle locally. Its a very smooth, not too sweet red. Shiraz is also a favorite of mine from a number of different makers. As mentioned, try different and enjoy. You can also buy a wine fridge, it'll keep wine at basement temp and isn't too expensive if you're going to be buying several bottles at once its a good way to store them if you don't have a good cellar. I've got a perfect basement, full stone with bedrock making up part of the wall keeping it borderline cold and on the damper side though never wet but finances and my many varied interests see to it I never have more then 6-8 bottles at a time with a cork being pulled maybe once a month, more when the in-laws are in town, but the temp is always good for the wines I tend to like.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast